Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · I just bought my first body with an AF motor...what do I need to know?

newjerseysurf
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · I just bought my first body with an AF motor...what do I need to know?

probably one of the dumber questions this board has seen, just want to make sure i don't do something stupid and end up damaging either the body or the lens

from what i have gathered, there should be no fear whatsoever with any AF-S lenses. if i want to manually focus i can do so at any time, whether or not the AF is flipped on the body OR the lens.

the only time i need to be cognizant are with manual lenses (AI, AF, etc.) in that if i am using them, the body must have the AF disengaged.

am i correct here? again, just want to be super careful.

thanks!

Nov 04, 2017 at 09:38 PM
jpelt78
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · I just bought my first body with an AF motor...what do I need to know?

Manual focus lenses won’t matter what position the body AF switch is in. For screwdriven AF lenses flip it to MF first.

Nov 04, 2017 at 09:43 PM
newjerseysurf
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · I just bought my first body with an AF motor...what do I need to know?

jpelt78 wrote:
Manual focus lenses won’t matter what position the body AF switch is in. For screwdriven AF lenses flip it to MF first.

i feel like that goes against what's in the D7200 manual:

Do not use AF lenses with the lens focus mode switch set to M and the camera focus-mode selector set to AF. Failure to observe this precaution could damage the camera or lens. This does not apply to AF-S lenses, which can be used in M mode without setting the camera focus-mode selector to M.

Nov 04, 2017 at 09:48 PM
90 5.0
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · I just bought my first body with an AF motor...what do I need to know?

I leave the af turned on all the time unless I want to mf with an af-d lens

This includes my ai-s lenses

Nov 04, 2017 at 10:57 PM
jpelt78
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · I just bought my first body with an AF motor...what do I need to know?

A manual focus AI or AIS lens is not an AF lens. The camera will not try to AF and there is nothing on the lens to engage the screw drive on the body.

You only have to switch the body selector for AF, AF-D and G lenses that are driven by the body’s motor. It does not matter for lenses that have their own motor. The body switch when set to manual retracts the screw driver back into the body. It does this because the screw drive socket on the lens will usually turn when you are manually focusing these lenses so it needs to be disengaged.

newjerseysurf wrote:
i feel like that goes against what's in the D7200 manual:

Do not use AF lenses with the lens focus mode switch set to M and the camera focus-mode selector set to AF. Failure to observe this precaution could damage the camera or lens. This does not apply to AF-S lenses, which can be used in M mode without setting the camera focus-mode selector to M.

Nov 05, 2017 at 07:07 AM
newjerseysurf
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · I just bought my first body with an AF motor...what do I need to know?

jpelt78 wrote:
A manual focus AI or AIS lens is not an AF lens. The camera will not try to AF and there is nothing on the lens to engage the screw drive on the body.

You only have to switch the body selector for AF, AF-D and G lenses that are driven by the body’s motor. It does not matter for lenses that have their own motor. The body switch when set to manual retracts the screw driver back into the body. It does this because the screw drive socket on the lens will usually turn when you are manually focusing
...Show more

I apologize for my naivety and density, but just so i understand; i only need to switch the body selector when using lenses that do not have their own, built-in AF motor?

those that DO have the built-in AF motor (AF-S and AF-P, i believe), it shouldn't matter. i.e., i can have the body selector on A/F and still manually focus the glass if i want?

assuming i have understood and the above is correct...then

why is this? is this b/c the body AF motor doesn't even get used if the lens has a built-in motor?

thanks all for the patience!

Nov 08, 2017 at 09:56 PM
jpelt78
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · I just bought my first body with an AF motor...what do I need to know?

Correct,

The reason you must switch it to manual with the AF lenses that do not have the motor is that you can damage the camera’s AF motor if you tried to MF one of those lenses while AF is engaged on the camera.

newjerseysurf wrote:
I apologize for my naivety and density, but just so i understand; i only need to switch the body selector when using lenses that do not have their own, built-in AF motor?

those that DO have the built-in AF motor (AF-S and AF-P, i believe), it shouldn't matter. i.e., i can have the body selector on A/F and still manually focus the glass if i want?

assuming i have understood and the above is correct...then

why is this? is this b/c the body AF motor doesn't even get used if the lens has a built-in motor?

thanks all for the patience!

Nov 09, 2017 at 10:38 AM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.