Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2017 · Any canon users moved to sony please advice.

sravan.venkat

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Any canon users moved to sony please advice.

Hello Every one,

I have a canon 1Dx MII & Lot of Canon glass. I have been a Canon guy for the past 10years right from my 1st camera.
But these days sony's Technology looks promising, & i am kinda bored with canon
So i thought what if i move to sony .

I have an option to sell of 1Dx Mii + all canon glass and buy a Alpha9 or 7r III

Or i can exchange with one of my friends for his 5D MIV & buy a 7R II. Get to know Sony and eventually move to sony.

Is Sony A7r II good for weddings (particularly in india).

Suggestions will very helpful.

My kit has 50mm 1.2, 85mm 1.2, 100mm, 70-200, 17-40mm, 20mm. 5D Mii & 1DX Mii.

Thanks

Nov 04, 2017 at 12:56 PM
worldexclus1ve
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Any canon users moved to sony please advice.

The biggest advantage of DSLRs over Sony mirrorless is how it functions, from menus, connectivity, battery life, low light AF and redundant storage options. The a7RIII will give the familiar DSLR experience over the a7RII. For weddings you will need the functional improvements of the a7RIII. Key improvements are My Menu, dual slots, faster mech and electronic silent shutter, deeper buffer, FTP, PC sync, better stabilization, superior battery life, better Eye AF and low light AF.

I would get the Sigma MC-11 adapter for any glass you want to keep, and go all in with the Sony a7RIII.

Edited on Nov 04, 2017 at 01:08 PM · View previous versions

Nov 04, 2017 at 01:04 PM
engardeknave
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Any canon users moved to sony please advice.

You can slowly move to Sony while using your Canon lenses with the Metabones or Sigma adapter.

I shoot Sony and now Fuji, but still use mostly Canon lenses.

Nov 04, 2017 at 01:08 PM
nonverbal
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Any canon users moved to sony please advice.

After ten years as a Canon guy, for a variety of reason I made the initially painful switch to Sony two years ago. I sold 5 very good lenses and 2 cameras and really took the dive. I have no regrets.
The images that I can now produce with my equipment (Sony RX1Rl, Sony A7R ll [soon to be A7R lll]) and a group of Zeiss prime lenses) exceed what I was able to do with my former set up. It's a bit of mind f--k making the change and geting comfortable with the difference at first, but now it is just second nature. My path was not the only way to transition. You could stage it all, but as one who just made the change in one swift, radical move...I am so glad that was the route I took. By selling much of my well taken care of Canon equipment here on this site, I got a lot of funding back that made it all easy on my pocket book too.

Nov 04, 2017 at 01:20 PM
joema2

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Any canon users moved to sony please advice.

sravan.venkat wrote:
...I have a canon 1Dx MII & Lot of Canon glass. I have been a Canon guy for the past 10years...i am kinda bored with canon....have an option to sell of 1Dx Mii + all canon glass and buy a Alpha9 or 7r III...Or i can exchange with one of my friends for his 5D MIV & buy a 7R II. Get to know Sony and eventually move to sony...Is Sony A7r II good for weddings (particularly in india)...

I moved from a 5D3 to the A7RII and have an A7RIII ordered. My documentary team also has two A6300s, an A6500, 70-200 G-Master, various other Sony FE lenses plus several Nikon D810s and a lot of Nikon glass.

I would not get the A7RII. It's a pretty good camera but for someone accustomed to the fast response of a 1DX you might be disappointed. The A7RII is especially slow at flushing the buffer to SD card and the camera is essentially locked up during that interval. There is no equivalent to Canon's "My Menu" settings, and there's no button or menu system to switch in/out of Super35 mode. There is no joystick to reposition the AF point, only the control wheel.

The A7RIII supposedly fixes all of these things, although we are awaiting extensive 3rd party reviews. The A9 is available now and would be a superb camera for event photography but the A7RIII is pretty fast, less expensive and has higher resolution.

On the A7RII using the Metabones IV adapter, Canon lenses work fairly well but not like a native Sony lens. My Canon 70-200 2.8 IS II is OK but it can get stuck in states where it won't focus very fast. That is for stills -- there is essentially no usable video AF using adapted Canon lenses. That's not an issue for us since 95% of our video is manual focus. I'll obviously be testing this on the A7RIII as soon as I receive it.

The Sony 70-200 2.8 GM is a lot more consistent on AF (obviously, it's native) but we've had inconsistent results with lens quality. The first one we got was superb -- equal to the Canon lens in every way. The 2nd unit was clearly sub standard, so we returned it.

A major issue for Canon shooters is how well their Canon glass works on newer, faster cameras like the A9 and A7RIII. Each lens and adapter will be different so results from one Canon lens on the MB IV adapter can yield different AF results than a different Canon lens.

I don't remember who has extensively tested the Canon 70-200 on the A9 via Metabones IV or what their results were. This might be one indicator of how it could work on the A7RIII. I'll have mine in a few weeks and I'll post results then.

Nov 04, 2017 at 03:03 PM
johnvanr
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Any canon users moved to sony please advice.

worldexclus1ve wrote:
The biggest advantage of DSLRs over Sony mirrorless is how it functions, from menus, connectivity, battery life, low light AF and redundant storage options. The a7RIII will give the familiar DSLR experience over the a7RII. For weddings you will need the functional improvements of the a7RIII. Key improvements are My Menu, dual slots, faster mech and electronic silent shutter, deeper buffer, FTP, PC sync, better stabilization, superior battery life, better Eye AF and low light AF.

I would get the Sigma MC-11 adapter for any glass you want to keep, and go all in with the Sony a7RIII.

These comparisons are valid between the A7RII and III, but until the III gets in the hands of many users, we won’t know how it behaves in settings like weddings etc. I doubt it comes close to your 1DX II in anything but resolution.

The A9 is a safer bet, but it’s relatively small to operate with the kind of fast lenses you seem to use.

I’m a Canon shooter who tried Sony for several years and stuck with Canon, waiting to see whether Canon will improve its sensors or Sony its cameras first for my kinds of use.

In the end, it’s personal, though. There are many happy Canon and Sony shooters.

Nov 04, 2017 at 03:35 PM
notherenow
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Any canon users moved to sony please advice.

I think YOU need to try a Sony FF mirrorless camera for yourself as no two people are the same.

Many are more than happy switching but there are some who switch and find they made a mistake which in your case would be very expensive.

Either rent the camera of your choice or buy a cheap older camera and adapter for your current lenses and see if you are happy.
Actually it might pay to rent the camera you are considering AND get a cheap FF E mount body and adapt as sometimes things might occur to you later.

I didn't switch from Canon but I did use a Canon camera as a multi system user and got some Canon lenses to use with mirrorless as the Canons adapt well to a few systems including Sony.

I am very happy with Sony but I have no idea if you will be.

Nov 04, 2017 at 04:04 PM
sungphoto
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Any canon users moved to sony please advice.

If you primarily shoot weddings, use on-camera and off-camera flash a lot, need a large and extremely quick clearing buffer, then I'd say stick with the 1Dx2 or at the very least rent before you buy.

Personally, I thought the A7rii was a poor camera for weddings. Buffer gets filled after only 20 raw files, and takes a full minute or two to clear. A 10 hour day of shooting, even with a battery grip will go through 5-10 batteries versus 1-2 on the 1DX. Dark reception dance floor wedding shots with flash, mirrorless cameras still seem to really struggle, in part because the grid type af beam on the canon speedlites is much more effective and less intrusive in acquiring focus in dark situations with low contrast subjects. The A9 improves on the buffer, but it might make sense to wait until it's out a bit longer to see if there's more teething issues like the loose hotshoe reports that have been popping up. It also is worth thinking about whether you need 20 fps (which goes down to 5 fps if you use the mechanical shutter - like if you're using flash). Doubtful you'd need even 5 fps with flash for weddings, but still a gotcha that is wise to consider.

If you're bored with the canon, keep it for your working rig and get a sony to play with as a B camera. A used a7rii would make a great personal/travel camera, and prices have dropped on the used market since the announcement of the a7r3. I use a couple 5d4s as my main professional kit, and an a7rii and a fuji for fun and taking photos of my nephew and nieces. Shot with sony for a couple years and switched back to Canon late last year.

Nov 04, 2017 at 09:16 PM
chiron
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Any canon users moved to sony please advice.

I transitioned to Sony after 25 years with Canon, and I have been very pleased and even excited by the Sony technology and image files. I kept my Canon lenses for a while (I had amassed a great collection of L glass) and used them with a metabones adapter. But recently I sold off all my Canon glass and have gone fully native, and I much prefer this--the AF and fit is much better with native glass, and the lenses are designed for the Sony sensors and the flange to sensor distance and angle. Sony, Zeiss, and Voigtlander, among others, are making some spectacular glass for e mount. The Sony cameras that I have used have been (most recently) the a6500, the a7II, and the a7rii. I have really liked each of them. My last Canon camera body was a 5d3.

I am not a professional. If you are shooting weddings, the A9 or the new A7RIII would be the better cameras for you. The A9 would be an equivalent in speed to your 1dx and the A7RIII would be the equivalent of a Canon 5d4. If you shoot weddings using on-camera flash, you should look for comments by a Sony user who shoots that way. Either (or any) of the Sony cameras will also give you a lot more ability to shoot natural light because of the dynamic range and ability to lift shadows without noise. The A9 and the A7rIII should be especially good at high ISO.

The ergonomics of Sony cameras is quite different from that of Canon, but it is really just a matter of getting experience and muscle memory going for you. The new Sony bodies are very nicely designed for quick use.

My knowledge on flash with Sony is shaky because I don't shoot that way. But I believe that because of characteristics of the way in which mirrorless works, infrared focus assist lights from your flash won't work with mirrorless cameras. But check the flash situation out with someone who actually uses on-camera flash with Sony.

Nov 04, 2017 at 09:51 PM
MedicineMan404
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Any canon users moved to sony please advice.

Flash=Godox, so easy with Sony a caveman could do it.

Nov 08, 2017 at 03:05 PM
Jonathan Brady
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Any canon users moved to sony please advice.

If you're shooting weddings and you're looking to replicate your Canon experience, I'd only consider the A9 and (theoretically) the A7RIII. The main reason is on-camera flash. With the A7RII (and I've been told, the other A7 series cameras), when using on-camera flash, there's a fraction of a second delay when taking the picture for some reason. It's been remedied with the A9 and I presume also with the A7RIII, but it's certainly something I'd wait for confirmation of if you're considering it.

About a year ago, I started second shooting at weddings and used a 6D, 5D Mark III, 5D Mark IV, and a 5Ds (only two at a time, I was in the process of upgrading during my first few weddings) and of course, the flash system was great. I decided to stop second shooting weddings (which was the main thing tying me to Canon) and then decided to try Sony. I loved the A7RII so much that I ended up switching, and quickly. I told myself when I bought the A7RII that I'd take a full year or two to switch if I thought it would work for me and I ended up switching in less than 3 months.

During that 3 month switch, I was contacted by another wedding photographer asking if I could second shoot with her and I agreed. As a trial, I simply assisted her during one wedding but also brought my camera along just to get back in the groove. This is when I saw for myself that the A7RII has a delay when using on-camera flash. It's probably a quarter of a second. So, it's not an incredibly long delay, but it's enough to know it's happening. I've since purchased the A9 and it definitely does NOT have that lag.

As another person mentioned, the Godox system is fantastic and SUBSTANTIALLY cheaper than the Canon RT system. It also provides more options as you can not only go with the V860SII (on-camera flash) but you can also pick up the AD200 which is an off-camera-only flash with about 3x the power of an on-camera flash as well as the AD360 and the Godox AD600 (off-camera strobe) and ALL of this can be controlled via the same radio trigger (or on-camera flash). And again, this is a RADIO system, NOT an optical system, so there's no "line of sight" required. By the way, you can buy the same system for Canon so even if you don't switch, it's an option for you.

Another note: I'd also consider purchasing a bottom plate (or "L bracket) for the Sony cameras if you appreciate the grip of the Canon cameras (I definitely did). I've determined that the Sony bodies are actually too small (and I have "medium" sized hands according to every glove I've ever worn) for me to hold comfortably. But, adding a bottom plate made an enormous difference. I highly recommend the "Really Right Stuff" bottom plate. I have one on my A9 and it's absolutely superb! It completely changes the handling of the camera for me as my pinky no longer hangs off and I can use 3 fingers to grip the camera instead of 2 (which was causing me major pain in the first knuckle of my middle finger - to the point that I was going to sell all of my newly acquired Sony gear and move back to Canon or give Nikon a try).

All that said, I highly recommend the A9 for weddings and, I presume, the A7RIII. Face detection will change your life. Seriously. Eye detection is even better. Also, if you EVER focus and recompose (or crop for composition in post) you'll never have to do it again. Ever. Because the AF points go to the edges of the frame, there's always an AF point wherever you want it (with the A9, the A7RIII doesn't have quite the same spread but it's still a larger spread than any FF DSLR).

With the A9, there's no buffer issue either. Even while it's writing, you can review images. Same, I believe, with the A7RIII.

IMO, as a wedding photographer you shouldn't be looking to adapt too much of your glass. You should plan on purchasing native lenses for the most part. The exception might be if you REALLY like using f/1.2, then stick with the 50 and/or 85 L lenses you have. But if you're okay with f/1.4, then switch those too.

Nov 08, 2017 at 04:43 PM
AGeoJO
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Any canon users moved to sony please advice.

Jonathan Brady wrote:
The main reason is on-camera flash. With the A7RII (and I've been told, the other A7 series cameras), when using on-camera flash, there's a fraction of a second delay when taking the picture for some reason. It's been remedied with the A9 and I presume also with the A7RIII, but it's certainly something I'd wait for confirmation of if you're considering it.

Jonathan, could you imagine the mob of angry Sony users if that was the case? That would have been a major flaw. I never experienced that from using Sony own flash units as well as third party flash units with the original A7r, A7 II, A7s and A7r II. A delay of a second is a long time since we are talking about tiny fractions of a second in the flash duration here.

Nov 08, 2017 at 04:58 PM
Jonathan Brady
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Any canon users moved to sony please advice.

It's not an issue with off-camera flash, for whatever reason. Only on-camera. And again, it's only a fraction of a second. But I notice it. Perhaps it's not an issue with Sony brand flashes. But with my Flashpoint V860SII, it is.

Nov 08, 2017 at 05:43 PM
AGeoJO
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Any canon users moved to sony please advice.

Jonathan Brady wrote:
It's not an issue with off-camera flash, for whatever reason. Only on-camera. And again, it's only a fraction of a second. But I notice it. Perhaps it's not an issue with Sony brand flashes. But with my Flashpoint V860SII, it is.

Jonathan, I do not have any Flashfpoint units but I am using Phottix Mitros+ units and I didn't notice that delay. I sometimes use a flash unit on camera to remotely trigger other flash units and to provide fill. Are you talking about the delay of the flash firing after you press the shutter button? Then your images are not exposed/flashed properly each time then, correct? I am a little perplexed here... Godox is another brand although made by the same manufacturers, that has been used a lot by Sony users. Did they report the same issues with their units?

Nov 08, 2017 at 05:59 PM
Jonathan Brady
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Any canon users moved to sony please advice.

Images are exposed perfectly.

I wouldn't know how to time the delay but I know that when I press the shutter with the same force I always do, it's a long enough delay to register in my head that nothing has happened so I decide to press the shutter further and before I can apply any pressure, it fires.

So, it's a slight, yet still perceptible delay. By me, at least. 1/10 of a second maybe? I dunno...

Nov 08, 2017 at 07:01 PM
AGeoJO
• • • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Any canon users moved to sony please advice.

Jonathan Brady wrote:
Images are exposed perfectly.

I wouldn't know how to time the delay but I know that when I press the shutter with the same force I always do, it's a long enough delay to register in my head that nothing has happened so I decide to press the shutter further and before I can apply any pressure, it fires.

So, it's a slight, yet still perceptible delay. By me, at least. 1/10 of a second maybe? I dunno...

Hmm, that could be the pre-flash but since the images are exposed properly, then the flash fires exactly during the slotted synchronized time and that what counts.

Nov 08, 2017 at 07:24 PM
stevesanacore
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Any canon users moved to sony please advice.

I don't think you'd be happy with the performance and handling of any Sony other than the A9 at the moment. The A7R3 may prove to be fast enough, but is yet to be released. The 1DX mk2 is a superb handling camera and would be hard to beat. The A9 has the performance, but is such a different type of camera which you may love or not. The simple solution for you is to demo or rent Sony and use it with your Canon lenses to see if you like the way mirrorless cameras handle. There is no reason to sell anything before you try the Sony with all your lenses. I still have all my Canon gear and use my Sony bodies with them all. Just pick up a metabones or Sigma adapter and have fun. I still use my Canon 5Dmk3's when I shoot people and action. I waiting to see if the A7R3 is as fast as the Canon, or I'll probably pick up the A9 for lifestyle work.

sravan.venkat wrote:
Hello Every one,

I have a canon 1Dx MII & Lot of Canon glass. I have been a Canon guy for the past 10years right from my 1st camera.
But these days sony's Technology looks promising, & i am kinda bored with canon
So i thought what if i move to sony .

I have an option to sell of 1Dx Mii + all canon glass and buy a Alpha9 or 7r III

Or i can exchange with one of my friends for his 5D MIV & buy a 7R II. Get to know Sony and eventually move to sony.

Is
...Show more

Nov 08, 2017 at 11:01 PM
hidroela

p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Any canon users moved to sony please advice.

try to disabled on camera menu the Red Eye Reduction setting.
Jonathan Brady wrote:

Nov 09, 2017 at 12:28 PM
notherenow
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Any canon users moved to sony please advice.

Jonathan Brady wrote:

Interesting.

I have never noticed any delay with my first gen A7s and lowly little HVL-F20M.

I have red eye reduction off and just played around with all the flash settings.

With the camera in fill flash mode and in aperture priority with auto ISO, AFS, flash comp -1, using a FE 85 1.8.

Alternately raising and lowering the flash (bounced), there at first does SEEM to be a tiny difference in speed but when I concentrated just on the subject (a plastic bottle I had thrown on the floor), there didn't appear to be any difference.

If you aim at a person walking across the frame and shoot from the same spot in AFS with and without flash would that help to determine any difference in speed?

Bottom line, I don't THINK there is a difference even if it does at first seem like there is but even if there is it doesn't seem to make any real practical difference to results.

I don't use flash enough to warrant getting any more serious than a small flip up on camera Sony flash though maybe might get something more serious later.

Nov 09, 2017 at 01:25 PM
Jonathan Brady
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Any canon users moved to sony please advice.

You know... I'm not sure what was happening that night I tested it out at that wedding, but there was definitely a small delay. I'm playing with it now and there's no delay at all. And I can't figure out why it was happening before... Weird. The only thing I could come up with is that possibly (POSSIBLY) it was more of an AF acquisition issue than a flash issue. I have my camera set for focus priority and the light levels were lower (as we were at a wedding reception) and now that I'm testing it, although I'm indoors the light levels are much higher as it's mid-day, there's no problem.

sorry for wasting y'alls time, but I appreciate the push you gave to get me to test it out! :-)

Nov 09, 2017 at 02:34 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.