FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Need Advice on Moving From Canon 1Dx Mii to Sony A7RII

sravan.venkat

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Need Advice on Moving From Canon 1Dx Mii to Sony A7RII

Hello Every one,

I have a canon 1Dx MII & Lot of Canon glass. I have been a Canon guy for the past 10years right from my 1st camera.
But these days sony's Technology looks promising, & i am kinda bored with canon
So i thought what if i move to sony .

I have an option to sell of 1Dx Mii + all canon glass and buy a Alpha9 or 7r III

Or i can exchange with one of my friends for his 5D MIV & buy a 7R II. Get to know Sony and eventually move to sony.

Is Sony A7r II good for weddings (particularly in india).

Suggestions will very helpful.

My kit has 50mm 1.2, 85mm 1.2, 100mm, 70-200, 17-40mm, 20mm. 5D Mii & 1DX Mii.

Thanks

Nov 04, 2017 at 05:54 PM
ZachOly
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Need Advice on Moving From Canon 1Dx Mii to Sony A7RII

Lots of questions to consider here - backup bodies, flashes, repair support, ROI, etc.

But I'd figure out the glass you'd get with a Sony setup first. One of the reasons I never moved to Nikon from Canon was because I felt like I had to downgrade a lot of my lenses. Likewise, one of the reasons why I'm buying an A7R3 is because a lot of the Sony glass is a better value than Canon's offerings (plus the ability to adapt in a pinch).

Nov 04, 2017 at 06:47 PM
LeeSimms
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Need Advice on Moving From Canon 1Dx Mii to Sony A7RII

Those Sony files are over twice the size of the 1Dx ones. Is your computer up for it?

Nov 04, 2017 at 08:20 PM
3catsinky
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Need Advice on Moving From Canon 1Dx Mii to Sony A7RII

if you are going to make the switch, you will be disappointed with the speed of the A7R2. Best to go with the A9 if you can swing it, or wait until you can rent each camera and decide for yourself which one meets your needs best.

Nov 04, 2017 at 09:24 PM
mb126
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Need Advice on Moving From Canon 1Dx Mii to Sony A7RII

As someone who owns and shoots a lot of things with both of these cameras, they are on very, very, very different sides of the spectrum. Going from 1DX/1DX2 to A7r2 is going to feel like going from a Ferrari to a Civic (MPs being MPG).

I'd think about it or rent an A9 before you dump all your Canon gear.

Nov 05, 2017 at 12:04 AM
sravan.venkat

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Need Advice on Moving From Canon 1Dx Mii to Sony A7RII

mb126 wrote:
As someone who owns and shoots a lot of things with both of these cameras, they are on very, very, very different sides of the spectrum. Going from 1DX/1DX2 to A7r2 is going to feel like going from a Ferrari to a Civic (MPs being MPG).

I'd think about it or rent an A9 before you dump all your Canon gear.

Thats a very simple & funny way to make me understand. I have worked with 7R II couple of times as a second camera. I was comfortable with it. But i never imagined it as my main camera.

Well i guess i will try it out for a couple of shoots as main camera and decide.

Thank you

Nov 05, 2017 at 06:57 AM
sravan.venkat

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Need Advice on Moving From Canon 1Dx Mii to Sony A7RII

LeeSimms wrote:
Those Sony files are over twice the size of the 1Dx ones. Is your computer up for it?

I dont think i will have a problem with that.

I use I7 7700K with Asus MB & 64 Gig Ram.

iMac 4.0GHz with 24 Gig ram

Nov 05, 2017 at 07:10 AM
MAC
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Need Advice on Moving From Canon 1Dx Mii to Sony A7RII

sravan.venkat wrote:
Thats a very simple & funny way to make me understand. I have worked with 7R II couple of times as a second camera. I was comfortable with it. But i never imagined it as my main camera.

Well i guess i will try it out for a couple of shoots as main camera and decide.

Thank you

grass always seems to be greener

I'd dump 17-40mm, 20mm. 5D Mii

and get 5d4 16-35

Nov 05, 2017 at 10:59 AM
InSanE
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Need Advice on Moving From Canon 1Dx Mii to Sony A7RII

Is this business or pleasure?
If 1st than "if it ain't broke don't fix it"

Nov 05, 2017 at 11:24 AM
Mark_L
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Need Advice on Moving From Canon 1Dx Mii to Sony A7RII

InSanE wrote:

This. Being bored doesn't seem like a very solid justification

Nov 05, 2017 at 12:18 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

LeeSimms
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Need Advice on Moving From Canon 1Dx Mii to Sony A7RII

Thinking aloud, the thought of going from a 1Dx to a a7R2 without trying a 5D4 first is a bit penny-foolish. The 5D4 is a goldielocks Canon body everything you liked about previous versions and nothing you don't like. The performance/weight/design/durability matrix is hard to ignore. The mix of 30mp file size with dynamic range and great high ISO noise is so wedding perfect. Plus you get to keep the great Canon skin tones, first-brand radio flash system and awesome zoom selection. The 16-35L III is a wonder, as is the 24-70L II (still holds off challengers, even with lower weight) then there's the 70-200L II and 100-400L II.

A new 85L is shipping this month and a new 50L will debut in Spring. You'd be leaving at exactly the wrong time, but if it takes a whole new user interface/menus system, etc to keep you interested in wedding photography then do whatever it takes.

My opinion anyway.

Nov 05, 2017 at 06:06 PM
sravan.venkat

p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Need Advice on Moving From Canon 1Dx Mii to Sony A7RII

InSanE wrote:

In terms of wedding photography & the medium of printing we use (at least in India), a 5D Mii can do the job Flawlessly it's more than enough.

Also, my dad used to use 30D & 350D for weddings & till date, they can produce wonderful images given a proper lighting setup.

Why all these boosted pixels, frame rate, high ISO, High Dynamic Range. Isn't it to please the human mind?

Nov 06, 2017 at 07:33 AM
InSanE
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Need Advice on Moving From Canon 1Dx Mii to Sony A7RII

Seriously one would think wedding photography is all about gear.
Topics on first page:
Moving From Canon 1Dx Mii to Sony A7RII
Sony A7RIII Released
5000 Budget
Best monitor for photo editing
Am I crazy? Just bought a D500 for weddings
etc... software, hardware
Do we even need a wedding section?

Nov 06, 2017 at 08:24 AM
LeeSimms
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Need Advice on Moving From Canon 1Dx Mii to Sony A7RII

> Seriously one would think wedding photography is all about gear.

In a forum overwhelming populated by men, it is.

Nov 06, 2017 at 03:28 PM
ZachOly
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Need Advice on Moving From Canon 1Dx Mii to Sony A7RII

InSanE wrote:
Seriously one would think wedding photography is all about gear.

'Cause it's the only threads Glort stays out of

Nov 06, 2017 at 03:58 PM
Mikehit
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Need Advice on Moving From Canon 1Dx Mii to Sony A7RII

sravan.venkat wrote:
Hello Every one,

I have a canon 1Dx MII & Lot of Canon glass. I have been a Canon guy for the past 10years right from my 1st camera.

What is it about Sony that looks promising?
There are a few other things to think about as well: With the wide aperture gear, there is not much weight/bulk saving as most people talk about, and how comfortable will you holding a smaller grip camera all day? Some are OK with it and some not.
To my mind the best deal sounds like get a 5D4 and A7Rii with an adapter for the Canon lenses - try it out knowing you have the Canon in reserve if needed.

Nov 06, 2017 at 05:53 PM
level1photog
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Need Advice on Moving From Canon 1Dx Mii to Sony A7RII

sravan.venkat wrote:
Hello Every one,

I have an option to sell of 1Dx Mii + all canon glass and buy a Alpha9 or 7r III

Or i can exchange with one of my friends for his 5D MIV & buy a 7R II. Get to know Sony and eventually move to sony.

Is
...Show more

If you don't do video, I would ditch the 1DXII.

I understand wanting the need to have the greatest and latest, but switching to Sony A7RII will add alot of kinks to shooting and workflow. A7RII isn't good for weddings: single card, worse AF in low light, ergonomic, reliability.

If you do Asian wedding, those 42mpx will hamper your workflow from shooting to editing. Can you imagine how big is the catalog for 12 hrs 2 shooters wedding? You need alot of battery, hard drive, buy a more expensive lens for similiar quality lens or worse performance adapted lens. Sometime you just want something to be reliable and efficient.

The only viable solution now is A7RIII (42mpx) and A9 (price).

As for myself, I also have alot of urge to switch to Sony, but I resisted for the reason above. The difference between camera isn't that significant to warrant the time, and money wasted to switch. I rather focus on the business side and trying to get better.

I will probably wait until Canon releasing their FF mirrorless rumor to be released next year and re-evaluate. If Canon doesn't offer anything competitive, the Sony A7RIII or A7III will be out longer on the market and cheaper.

Nov 06, 2017 at 06:50 PM
sravan.venkat

p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Need Advice on Moving From Canon 1Dx Mii to Sony A7RII

level1photog wrote:
If you don't do video, I would ditch the 1DXII.

I understand wanting the need to have the greatest and latest, but switching to Sony A7RII will add alot of kinks to shooting and workflow. A7RII isn't good for weddings: single card, worse AF in low light, ergonomic, reliability.

If you do Asian wedding, those 42mpx will hamper your workflow from shooting to editing. Can you imagine how big is the catalog for 12 hrs 2 shooters wedding? You need alot of battery, hard drive, buy a more expensive lens for similiar quality lens or worse performance adapted lens. Sometime you just
...Show more

Yea, i don't do video.

Thank you for the wonderful reply.

I guess i will just buy a used 7R II , use it as a 2nd shooter & suppress my want to shift for the time being.

Nov 07, 2017 at 12:07 PM
pasblues
• •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Need Advice on Moving From Canon 1Dx Mii to Sony A7RII

sravan.venkat wrote:
Hello Every one,

Is
...Show more

I don't recommend the A7RII for weddings except portraits. Wait and get the A7RIII someday. Be patient.

Nov 07, 2017 at 10:57 PM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password