FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

end

FM Forum Rules, Nature & Wildlife Forum Guidelines

Danpbphoto
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · FM Forum Rules, Nature & Wildlife Forum Guidelines

Imagemaster wrote:
My images are 1400-1500 pixels, just like the one above, and are always allowed.

Good for you, bad for me, but my FM error messages were different. My submissions were denied because of pixel limit of 850. I quote" Suggested photo size for posting is 850px longest side."

Edited on Nov 08, 2017 at 12:34 PM · View previous versions

Nov 05, 2017 at 12:15 PM
Greg Lavaty
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · FM Forum Rules, Nature & Wildlife Forum Guidelines

That is interesting that there is a drop in activity. Does anyone have any idea why that might be?

Nov 05, 2017 at 01:50 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · FM Forum Rules, Nature & Wildlife Forum Guidelines

Danpbphoto wrote:
Good for you but my FM error messages were different. I quote" Suggested photo size for posting is 850px longest side."

Good for me? Others already posted the same comment as me, and many members are posting images larger than 850px:

arbitrage wrote:
Most of us post 1200-1400 wide and have been doing so for years on the N&W forum.

butlerkid wrote:
I, too, have uploaded files 1200px to 1400px without problem as long as jpg quality is set to 10.

birdied wrote:
I personally post 1200 to 1500 on the long side.

If you are having a problem with that, take it up with Fred, not me.

Nov 05, 2017 at 03:41 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · FM Forum Rules, Nature & Wildlife Forum Guidelines

Greg Lavaty wrote:
That is interesting that there is a drop in activity. Does anyone have any idea why that might be?

Could be that a number of people do not want or like the comments they receive when they post images. As a 'Presentation Forum', I don't know why there is not an option to be able to post images and not have any comments allowed.

There are those who simply want to share their images, and they neither want nor need to read comments about them.

Nov 05, 2017 at 03:46 PM
Danpbphoto
• • • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · FM Forum Rules, Nature & Wildlife Forum Guidelines

Fred Miranda That's old rules that I need to update. There is no restriction on image size on the boards. (except for the WA and MA boards)
If you get that again, let me know the exact error message and give me a link so I can take a look.
Best,
Fred

To: Fred Miranda
Date: Nov 05, 2017
Subject: Re: http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1515917/1#lastmessage
But it does Fred! All the time! If I post over 850, image is denied and I get a message that "please size image to 850 pixels longest side" That is why I kindly asked Tony were he sees this. And your rules say max of 850.
Dan

Edited on Nov 05, 2017 at 08:31 PM · View previous versions

Nov 05, 2017 at 05:01 PM
Danpbphoto
• • • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · FM Forum Rules, Nature & Wildlife Forum Guidelines

arbitrage wrote:
I think Fred needs to update some of those Rules/Guidlines. 850px wide?? I guess most of us are breaking the rules with every post.

PER FRED 5 minutes ago: and I am not the only one having this issue:
" Fred Miranda That's old rules that I need to update. There is no restriction on image size on the boards. (except for the WA and MA boards)
If you get that again, let me know the exact error message and give me a link so I can take a look.
Best,
Fred

To: Fred Miranda
Date: Nov 05, 2017
Subject: Re: http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1515917/1#lastmessage
But it does Fred! All the time! And not just me. If I post over 850, image is denied and I get a message that "please size image to 850 pixels longest side" That is why I kindly asked Tony were he sees this. And your rules say max of 850.
Dan " End quote

Edited on Nov 05, 2017 at 08:35 PM · View previous versions

Nov 05, 2017 at 05:08 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

ckcarr
• • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · FM Forum Rules, Nature & Wildlife Forum Guidelines

Greg Lavaty wrote:

Well, there are no hard numbers to back that up, although just watching the various boards you can tell it's slow right now. But people have grumbled about that in the past also, and some is simply seasonality.

My personal opinion though is that there are fewer members here that are actually interested in doing photography versus buying gear and just talking about photography.

Also, in landscape for example, so many locations have been beaten to death there's a feeling of "been there, done that." So someone might post an OK shot of something and behind the scenes people are thinking "again?" Iceland's a perfect example - in my opinion.

And I also know some photographers I've communicated with that just got tired of the endless bumping by certain individuals or other aggressive actions. So the people I knew quit posting. Although it's a public forum, peoples lack of consideration does have an affect.

I think the cross posting also hurts the presentation boards. I , and others I know won't even comment or vote on a picture if it's cross posted and there's a bunch of people going "wow" or "great job" that are complete strangers to that particular board.

Just my opinion of course. However I used to post at least weekly, and I was determined to go out and try and improve my skills and come back with something, like fishing and post it. now I've lost interest in the posting here and might do a picture once every six months.

Nov 05, 2017 at 05:58 PM
Lotuselite
• •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · FM Forum Rules, Nature & Wildlife Forum Guidelines

If you are viewing on an iPad, posting large images cause other text posts to be reduced in size to the point that they are almost illegible without expanding them.

Becomes enough of a pain to skip the thread altogether after a while.

Nov 05, 2017 at 06:24 PM
lara_ckl
• • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · FM Forum Rules, Nature & Wildlife Forum Guidelines

^^^^^

Possible reason for the drop in participation?

I have a 27" (non "retina") monitor set to 1600x900. I have to zoom my browser in and out to either read the text or see the whole photo. On a presentation board (ie photos just at the beginning of the thread), I most likely just zoom out, view the photo and move on.

Nov 05, 2017 at 07:22 PM
Greg Lavaty
• •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · FM Forum Rules, Nature & Wildlife Forum Guidelines

Sorry, I'm not terribly skilled with the forum controls. I meant to quote Imagemaster's response here but hit the wrong button.

I see, I always appreciate feedback from others. To me that seems to be the biggest benefit from posting to a place like this instead of flickr, or smugmug... were you can turn off commenting. For me, being part of a community is the whole appeal but maybe I am the minority.

Are you one who doesn't want comments on your posts?

Edited on Nov 05, 2017 at 08:02 PM · View previous versions

Nov 05, 2017 at 07:52 PM
Greg Lavaty
• •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · FM Forum Rules, Nature & Wildlife Forum Guidelines

Sorry, hit the wrong reply button, this was a reply to CKCarr's post.

Thanks very much for your feedback, I will try to keep all of that in mind when I post here. I do very much want to improve my skills and do find critical feedback to be useful even when it hurts a little. It seems like a lot of people are hesitant to post anything but "great shot" sorts of responses which is a shame. I do also appreciate that giving thoughtful feedback does take some effort.

Nov 05, 2017 at 08:01 PM
       end

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password