Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

  New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist
  

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

1
       2       end
  

FM Forum Rules, Nature & Wildlife Forum Guidelines
  
 
Imagemaster
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · FM Forum Rules, Nature & Wildlife Forum Guidelines


JFYI

A member recently asked where they could find the above information.

Click on any thread in the N&W Forum and look at the top-left corner of the resulting window. I have circled in red the Forum Rules and Guidelines.

This window also shows many other clickable features that some members may not be aware of.







Nov 04, 2017 at 04:27 PM
arbitrage
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · FM Forum Rules, Nature & Wildlife Forum Guidelines


I think Fred needs to update some of those Rules/Guidlines. 850px wide?? I guess most of us are breaking the rules with every post.

The bump restrictions don't work either. Many people bump more than 5 times so the code to prevent that has never worked.



Nov 04, 2017 at 04:42 PM
conebeam
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · FM Forum Rules, Nature & Wildlife Forum Guidelines


I have been posting at 1200px wide. Maybe with larger monitors that most of us have now, Fred could update the guideline.

Limiting the bump should be a software code. The contributors often think that they should respond/ thank others for C&C. Maybe Fred can add a friendly suggestion of using multi-quote option. This feature has been available. Some of us are not aware of it.



Nov 04, 2017 at 05:26 PM
morris
Online
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · FM Forum Rules, Nature & Wildlife Forum Guidelines


With our recent reduced activity one must rule gently or one will find them self alone.

Bump needs to be clearly defined. The original definition of bump in a forum was when one would touch a thread with no new content. Is saying thank you new content? There are so many ways to avoid this it's pathetic. A couple of years ago a post placed in the morning that got no comments was pushed off the top page. Now a post with no content can live on the top page for a day or more. Bumping does not seem to be an issue.

If someone is concerned about this forum, then help by getting people to post here.

Morris



Nov 04, 2017 at 05:35 PM
Imagemaster
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · FM Forum Rules, Nature & Wildlife Forum Guidelines


Some non-posters may not want to post because they see too many posts/replies by the same few people every day.

Cross-posting has not helped, IMO. Separate forums for specific subjects was supposed to reduce clogging by keeping specific subject matter in specific forums.

e.g. I appreciate macro photography, but since it has its own forum, I see no need for cross-posting those macro images on this forum. Again, JMO.



Nov 04, 2017 at 05:48 PM
ckcarr
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · FM Forum Rules, Nature & Wildlife Forum Guidelines


Bumping was and still is an issue on the landscape forum. I have a mental list of people who have complete disregard for anything but their own selfish self-centeredness. They know every bumping trick in the world. The more they bump, the less I ever comment on their threads. They know who they are. If they don't they are really stupid. I care less now because many of the rules seem to be rarely enforced. Size, number of pictures, discussions, travel questions.... These certain boards were supposed to be "presentation" forums, for pictures...

I look at the boards like give everyone a chance, don't keep popping your thread over everyone else...

I'm guessing that the 850px size just needs updating as that was increased in the landscape rules a few years ago to 1200px.



Nov 04, 2017 at 05:49 PM
Danpbphoto
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · FM Forum Rules, Nature & Wildlife Forum Guidelines


I have never had an image allowed beyond the pixel limit. The image is denied because of not being 800-850 longest side.

Edited on Nov 05, 2017 at 05:06 PM · View previous versions



Nov 04, 2017 at 06:14 PM
mitesh
Online
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · FM Forum Rules, Nature & Wildlife Forum Guidelines


Since this is in the Misc Forum, I feel like I can point out that you've misspelled "descent" in your post, Tony. Also, you might want to avail yourself of the "Mark All Read" option in your notifications.

Just having some fun .



Nov 04, 2017 at 06:17 PM
arbitrage
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · FM Forum Rules, Nature & Wildlife Forum Guidelines


Danpbphoto wrote:
I have never had an image allowed beyond the pixel limit. The image is denied because of not being 800 longest side.


Most of us post 1200-1400 wide and have been doing so for years on the N&W forum. If you are not able to post 800 wide it must be a file size limit as that is the only limit I've run into. When I export from Lr I export at 1400px wide for landscape and 1200px for portrait. I limit file size to 1MB which I think is the limit.



Nov 04, 2017 at 06:27 PM
Imagemaster
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · FM Forum Rules, Nature & Wildlife Forum Guidelines


mitesh wrote:
Since this is in the Misc Forum, I feel like I can point out that you've misspelled "descent" in your post, Tony. Also, you might want to avail yourself of the "Mark All Read" option in your notifications.

Just having some fun .


Dang, here I thought that descent meant getting rid of the smell.

Notifications What are they



Nov 04, 2017 at 07:01 PM
 

Search in Used Dept. 



Imagemaster
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · FM Forum Rules, Nature & Wildlife Forum Guidelines


ckcarr wrote:
Bumping was and still is an issue on the landscape forum. I have a mental list of people who have complete disregard for anything but their own selfish self-centeredness. They know every bumping trick in the world. The more they bump, the less I ever comment on their threads. They know who they are. If they don't they are really stupid. I care less now because many of the rules seem to be rarely enforced. Size, number of pictures, discussions, travel questions.... These certain boards were supposed to be "presentation" forums, for pictures...


Have to agree with most of that. There is even the little "you LIKE me, and I will Like you" club. I even had a member PM me saying that unless I clicked the LIKE button on his posts, he would not do the same on mine. Sad. That member is now on my HIDE ME list and I never look at any of his posts.



Nov 04, 2017 at 07:06 PM
Imagemaster
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · FM Forum Rules, Nature & Wildlife Forum Guidelines


Danpbphoto wrote:
I have never had an image allowed beyond the pixel limit. The image is denied because of not being 800 longest side.


My images are 1400-1500 pixels, just like the one above, and are always allowed.



Nov 04, 2017 at 07:07 PM
butlerkid
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · FM Forum Rules, Nature & Wildlife Forum Guidelines


Thanks for posting this. It does appear the rules need a bit of updating. Participation on most forums is way down. Most forums are now trying to actually encourage member participation and image submissions.

Perhaps instead of stating "850px wide" the guidelines should be a maximum file size, as that seems to be how uploading it currently being monitored. I, too, have uploaded files 1200px to 1400px without problem as long as jpg quality is set to 10.

This morning one person had the top 6 threads. All posted one day apart. But posting 2 threads in one day - (and not having started a thread in 11 days) - is a problem.

As noted above, bumping or posting more than one thread per day is not in the coding. However, the coding to prevent posting Buy/Sell threads more frequently than 8 hours appears to be working.




Nov 04, 2017 at 07:42 PM
birdied
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · FM Forum Rules, Nature & Wildlife Forum Guidelines


Under the FAQ's, I found this.


2) How do I know if my Upload & Sell membership is activated and what are the
size/dimension
restrictions? - Back
Your service is active when you see "Upload & Sell: On" on your profile.

In order to make the forum experience enjoyable to all members including those on dial-
up,
we allow files up to 1,000 Kb in size. There are no restrictions on image dimension, but
please
keep files around 800px, so that members using monitors with lower resolution can also
enjoy viewing your photos. Images bigger than 2,000px will be resized to 2,000px for
the biggest dimension.



Yet, this is shown also:

How to prepare full size images for upload? - Back
Images should be resized and compressed to allow most participants to view the
images in the FM forums without having to wait a long time for them to load.
Also, resizing your images protects them from being used without your permission.
The best protection we have to stop people from stealing our work on the web is to
resize our images.

My recommndation is to resize your photo to a maximum of 800 pixels for the longest
dimension. For an easy and automated way to resize your images while maintaining a
high quality web output, we recommend using the WP Pro (Web Presenter Pro) Plugin.
For more information visit the Software page:
http://www.fredmiranda.com/software



I personally post 1200 to 1500 on the long side.

Birdie



Nov 04, 2017 at 08:36 PM
birdied
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · FM Forum Rules, Nature & Wildlife Forum Guidelines


morris wrote:
With our recent reduced activity one must rule gently or one will find them self alone.

Bump needs to be clearly defined. The original definition of bump in a forum was when one would touch a thread with no new content. Is saying thank you new content? There are so many ways to avoid this it's pathetic. A couple of years ago a post placed in the morning that got no comments was pushed off the top page. Now a post with no content can live on the top page for a day or more. Bumping does not seem to be
...Show more

Agree with you Morris. The activity is certainly down and we should be encouraging folks to post . I don't find bumping an issue especially since most are using the multi quote function.

Birdie




Nov 04, 2017 at 08:41 PM
butlerkid
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · FM Forum Rules, Nature & Wildlife Forum Guidelines


Imagemaster wrote:
.....

Have to agree with most of that. There is even the little "you LIKE me, and I will Like you" club. .....


If the OP is restricted to the number of times he can post in his own thread, it appears the only way to "Thank" those who take the time to comment (and hopefully encourage people to comment) is to at least "Like" comments made by others.

Although a quick look revealed a recent thread with less than 20 replies and 6 were by the OP.....



Nov 04, 2017 at 08:45 PM
Imagemaster
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · FM Forum Rules, Nature & Wildlife Forum Guidelines


butlerkid wrote:
If the OP is restricted to the number of times he can post in his own thread, it appears the only way to "Thank" those who take the time to comment (and hopefully encourage people to comment) is to at least "Like" comments made by others.


No, as Birdie already pointed out, you just use the multi-quote feature. That way you can thank/reply to 100 members, yet the thread will only get bumped once.

Also, having the number of Likes shown actually deters a lot of members from posting images, especially when it shows the names of the people that clicked on 'Like'.



Nov 04, 2017 at 10:31 PM
Imagemaster
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · FM Forum Rules, Nature & Wildlife Forum Guidelines


butlerkid wrote:
As noted above, bumping or posting more than one thread per day is not in the coding. However, the coding to prevent posting Buy/Sell threads more frequently than 8 hours appears to be working.



You are correct, and I do not know why that coding is not working on the N&W Forum when it was working before.



Nov 04, 2017 at 10:32 PM
butlerkid
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · FM Forum Rules, Nature & Wildlife Forum Guidelines


birdied wrote:
Agree with you Morris. The activity is certainly down and we should be encouraging folks to post . I don't find bumping an issue especially since most are using the multi quote function.

Birdie



Agreed!



Nov 04, 2017 at 10:36 PM
arbitrage
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · FM Forum Rules, Nature & Wildlife Forum Guidelines


mitesh wrote:
Since this is in the Misc Forum, I feel like I can point out that you've misspelled "descent" in your post, Tony. Also, you might want to avail yourself of the "Mark All Read" option in your notifications.

Just having some fun .


Mine is at 3161....



Nov 05, 2017 at 02:22 AM
1
       2       end






FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

1
       2       end
    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password