New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Recommendations for first native lens

swannyson7

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Recommendations for first native lens

I haven't pulled the trigger yet, but I'm planning to switch from Canon to an A7rii in the near future. I'll be using my canon glass with an adapter to start, but I'd eventually like to get a native lens for the better eye-AF and subject tracking. I'm a hobbyist, so I'm not looking for an overly expensive lens, but want something that's going to be sharp across all lengths (preferably something I can pick up new/used for under $1000). I'm not interest in primes, but I don't need a huge reach either. I had a friend recommend the 24-240, which seems to fit the bill for a good walk around lens, but I was looking for any other suggestions. I shoot more at the wide end, but having some reach would be a plus.

Nov 04, 2017 at 10:17 AM
BrandonSi
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Recommendations for first native lens

Tons of options in primes.. why not at least a basic fast 50 like the 55 1.8? It's amazingly sharp, it'll blow your mind.

24-240 is solid, punches a *bit* above it's weight which is why people like it, but it doesn't really hold up to a lot of the more 'pro' lenses in the FE lineup.

Heard lots of good things about the 24-70 F4, and I was planning on getting one myself as a travel lens, but after the 24-105 announcement and going to hold out and see how that one is received.

Nov 04, 2017 at 11:44 AM
swannyson7

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Recommendations for first native lens

The 24-105 caught my eye as well. I have a 24-105 f/4L that I was going to adapt, but I loved that focal length when I didn't feel like carrying more than one lens. My brother in law has a 50 prime that I might borrow to see how I like it because he said the same thing. I'd have to play with it a bit too see if it would meet my needs. I'm used to a canon crop sensor, so that 50 is actually 80mm and you have to be on the opposite corner of a room just to frame a person's face. I also didn't have the resolution to crop like I would with the A7Rii when shooting further away, so it's possible that it would work out well for a first lens. Thanks for the recommendation

Nov 04, 2017 at 03:52 PM
123_Repeater

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Recommendations for first native lens

I'd get the almost free kit lens.... if you like it upgrade to the 24-240... (similar IQ)... if you don't... hope for the 24-105 to be good. The 24-240 is big and heavy and against mirrorless spirit

Nov 04, 2017 at 06:16 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

freaklikeme
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Recommendations for first native lens

If the 24-105 is as well-received as the 12-24, then you've probably found your lens.

For your faster prime, why not try an adapted manual lens? There's a vast amount of good glass out there available for much less than the $250 MSRP of Sony's nifty fifty. If you want a 50mm, I'd look at the Minolta Rokkor PG 50/1.4 or Canon nFD 50/1.4, either of which go for around $100.

Nov 05, 2017 at 05:00 AM
Mark K
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Recommendations for first native lens

24-105 FE...like my beloved 24-105L

Nov 05, 2017 at 05:15 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Recommendations for first native lens

swannyson7 wrote:
I haven't pulled the trigger yet, but I'm planning to switch from Canon to an A7rii in the near future. I'll be using my canon glass with an adapter to start, but I'd eventually like to get a native lens for the better eye-AF and subject tracking. I'm a hobbyist, so I'm not looking for an overly expensive lens, but want something that's going to be sharp across all lengths (preferably something I can pick up new/used for under $1000). I'm not interest in primes, but I don't need a huge reach either. I had a friend recommend the 24-240,
...Show more

When I moved from Canon, I was adapting all my lenses and my first native lens was the FE 55/1.8 ZA. It's still one my most used lenses. It's not well corrected for axial aberration and micro-contrast is a bit lacking but it has high resolution and smooth rendering.

Nov 09, 2017 at 01:21 AM
elizabeth77

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Recommendations for first native lens

My first native was the FE55/1.8 ZA as well and it remains a great lens. Under $1K I think it is one of the very best bets at a versatile FL. With the a7rii I think you will really enjoy it as the tack sharpness with that much MP power is lots of fun.

Nov 09, 2017 at 03:23 PM

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password