Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

A7RIII L-bracket and Gariz Half-case - same as A9?

virtualrain
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · A7RIII L-bracket and Gariz Half-case - same as A9?

Hey, I'm looking to order an L-bracket and Gariz half-case for my pre-ordered A7RIII and I'm wondering if anyone knows if the bottom is the same design/dimensions as the A9... will an A9 L-plate and Gariz half-case fit properly on the A7RIII?

Nov 04, 2017 at 04:13 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · A7RIII L-bracket and Gariz Half-case - same as A9?

virtualrain wrote:
Hey, I'm looking to order an L-bracket and Gariz half-case for my pre-ordered A7RIII and I'm wondering if anyone knows if the bottom is the same design/dimensions as the A9... will an A9 L-plate and Gariz half-case fit properly on the A7RIII?

There is not 100% confirmation on this yet. They will be close but perhaps not identical. RRS already says that the L-bracket component won't be the same. (The base could be but this is uncertain)

Nov 09, 2017 at 01:28 AM
virtualrain
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · A7RIII L-bracket and Gariz Half-case - same as A9?

Fred Miranda wrote:
There is not 100% confirmation on this yet. They will be close but perhaps not identical. RRS already says that the L-bracket component won't be the same. (The base could be but this is uncertain)

Yeah, I forgot to follow up on this post.

I also heard the same from RRS. I'll use a simple tripod plate until the new one is available.

As far as the half-case goes... After examining photos of the camera at camerasize, the grip section on the a9 is thicker even though the rest of the base is probably the same. Although someone elsewhere commented that the Gariz half-case they purchased for their A7RII fit the A9 - very tightly. Since the grip of the A7RIII seems to be somewhere in-between the A7RII and A9 I expect the half-case to fit at least temporarily.

Bottom line is that all new accessories are going to be required for proper compatibility... with the exception of the Battery Grip I guess.

Nov 09, 2017 at 03:59 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · A7RIII L-bracket and Gariz Half-case - same as A9?

virtualrain wrote:
Yeah, I forgot to follow up on this post.

I also heard the same from RRS. I'll use a simple tripod plate until the new one is available.

As far as the half-case goes... After examining photos of the camera at camerasize, the grip section on the a9 is thicker even though the rest of the base is probably the same. Although someone elsewhere commented that the Gariz half-case they purchased for their A7RII fit the A9 - very tightly. Since the grip of the A7RIII seems to be somewhere in-between the A7RII and A9 I expect the half-case to fit at
...Show more

And the grip extender...
If you find out more, let us know. I have a generic L-bracket and will be using it with the A7RIII until we get a custom one.

Nov 09, 2017 at 04:07 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

virtualrain
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · A7RIII L-bracket and Gariz Half-case - same as A9?

So hereís an animated GIF comparing the body size vs the A9 and A7RII. It seems closer to the A9 than the A7RII but itís not identical. Any case or plate built to tight tolerances will need an update, but obviously many existing plates will probably work

Nov 14, 2017 at 10:31 AM
Slalom
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · A7RIII L-bracket and Gariz Half-case - same as A9?

Imaging resources interviewed 3 Sony execs and they stated the A7 form factor was retained, as this was a major selling point, for a7**, but was redesigned for the bigger battery, twin SD cards, and bigger mechanical Shutter.

http://www.imaging-resource.com/news/2017/11/13/sony-interview-photoplus-expo-mirrorless-strategy

Nov 14, 2017 at 11:38 AM
Slalom
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · A7RIII L-bracket and Gariz Half-case - same as A9?

Imaging resources interviewed 3 Sony execs and they stated the A7 form factor was retained, as this was a major selling point, for a7**, but was redesigned for the bigger battery, twin SD cards, and bigger mechanical Shutter.

http://www.imaging-resource.com/news/2017/11/13/sony-interview-photoplus-expo-mirrorless-strategy

Nov 14, 2017 at 11:40 AM

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password