New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · My Nikon D300 has died.

ronfronberg
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · My Nikon D300 has died.

I was using the camera and took a picture. I went to take another photo but nothing would work, no response from the camera and nothing happened when I pressed any of the buttons. The top display still showed the previous settings. I turned the camera off and the settings still showed in the top screen. I turned the camera on and still the same. I removed the batteries and reinstalled the batteries. The camera is now completely dead. I tried the grip and batteries on another camera and the batteries and grip worked. The grip and batteries are original Nikon. It only has about 17000 clicks.

Anybody have an idea if the camera is worth repairing or what might have happened?

thanks

Nov 03, 2017 at 08:39 PM
TooManyShots
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · My Nikon D300 has died.

Try to reset the body...

https://seventrumpet.com/how-to-reset-nikon-d300-and-d300s-slr-digital-camera/

I would leave it on without the battery for few days and hopefully the internal battery would get exhausted and resting the inner setting.

If that does not work, no, you don't want to repair the body. It would be cheaper to get another D300 or even the D7000.

Nov 03, 2017 at 10:05 PM
90 5.0
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · My Nikon D300 has died.

Clean d300s’s are probublay cheaper than a repair at this point?

Nov 03, 2017 at 10:26 PM
Two23
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · My Nikon D300 has died.

Nikon repairs are horrendously expensive, easily over $500. Might not even have parts any more.

Kent in SD

Nov 03, 2017 at 10:45 PM
Blakehfreeman
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · My Nikon D300 has died.

I loved my D300!! Great camera... bummer yours died! Make it a desk ornament as I've done in the past and you could pick up a used one for less than a repair or a better body for not much more 👍🏻. Happy shooting!

Nov 04, 2017 at 12:05 AM
runamuck
• • • • • •
[X]
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · My Nikon D300 has died.

D90 and D300 were released about the same time. I just read where Nikon will support the D90 until 2023. Repair is not a problem at this point. It is the cost that matters. Try gettting a free estimate. With only 17k on the shutter you may get a sympathetic ear.

Nov 04, 2017 at 12:35 AM
SiMuMe
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · My Nikon D300 has died.

Sounds like my first D300s. Two months at Nikon and they eventually gave up and returned it unfixed. I bought another used one. They are now at a price point that makes them cost less than the price of a new D3400.

Nov 04, 2017 at 03:35 AM
NightOwl Cat
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · My Nikon D300 has died.

On Monday, call Authorized Photo Service in Morton, Illinois.

http://www.nikoncamerarepair.com/

800-406-2046

It'll probably wind up costing more to repair your own, than to get another even from KEH
https://www.keh.com/shop/nikon-d300-12-3-megapixel-digital-slr-camera-body-only.html
(228-289 there)

Nov 04, 2017 at 04:38 AM
bs kite
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · My Nikon D300 has died.

1. What you have said cannot be true for everyone.

I recently sent my D500 to Melville NY Nikon for water damage repair. BEFORE I released it to them, they gave me a price of about $315. In the end, THEY WENT THROUGH THE ENTIRE CAMERA. They ended up replacing the rubber grip, adjusting my light meter and several other corrections. The price? They did not charge me a penny more than the $315.

That will never happen with the entity that repairs your car.

Shouldn't people post only their own experience, and nothing on hearsay?

Everything must be maintained.

My last experience with Nikon service was SO good that I am looking forward to working with them to maintain my D500 and now D850, until their effective lives are worn down.

2. Yes, his D300 has probably outlived its life. My D300 is a memory now.

Two23 wrote:
Nikon repairs are horrendously expensive, easily over $500. Might not even have parts any more.

Kent in SD

Nov 04, 2017 at 05:13 AM
Two23
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · My Nikon D300 has died.

bs kite wrote:
Shouldn't people post only their own experience, and nothing on hearsay?

I did post based on my own personal experience. The most recent was sending a Nikon 70-200mm f2.8 VR in to NY Nikon to replace the little plate that locks the tripod collar foot onto the ballhead. Over the phone they said about $80;. Once they got the lens they wanted to do all kinds of other work with a total bill of nearly $800. I argued that down by about half. Similar thing happened when I sent a D7100 in for a small repair a few years ago, and a Nikon 80-400mm AFD a few years before that. Unlike when I take my car to my local mechanic to fix a door latch, Nikon seems to look over the entire car and tells me they will either fix everything or nothing at all.

Meanwhile, I have a Watson & Son half plate camera from the 1880s that is still working perfectly and probably will be for the rest of my life and maybe even someone elses'.

Kent in SD

Nov 04, 2017 at 09:23 AM
morris
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · My Nikon D300 has died.

I'm sorry to learn your camera failed.

New D300 parts are no longer available so if you get it repaired they will most likely use pulled components from a well used D300 such as the one I sold to KEH. The D300 is a super camera yet quite dated. You can pick them up used from reputable dealers that will give you a 90 day warranty for a few hundred dollars and this will probably be less than the cost of a repair. You should also consider D7xxx used or lower end new. Make sure your lenses are compatible with lower end new.

Morris

Nov 04, 2017 at 11:03 AM
bs kite
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · My Nikon D300 has died.

Sorry about that .

Interesting that they charged you for the extra work and not me. Wonder why.

I know that the person who helped me as a "go-between" was very good. Something tells me she had a lot to do with them staying with the original price or $315 for everything they ended up doing.

And I also had a horror show with them several years ago. So, I guess I kinda forgot about that one.

Now, come to think of it, I changed my mind again. I am not looking forward to maintaining my cameras with them. Just kidding.
...Show more

Two23 wrote:
I did post based on my own personal experience. The most recent was sending a Nikon 70-200mm f2.8 VR in to NY Nikon to replace the little plate that locks the tripod collar foot onto the ballhead. Over the phone they said about $80;. Once they got the lens they wanted to do all kinds of other work with a total bill of nearly $800. I argued that down by about half. Similar thing happened when I sent a D7100 in for a small repair a few years ago, and a Nikon 80-400mm AFD a few years before that. Unlike
...Show more

Nov 04, 2017 at 04:09 PM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · My Nikon D300 has died.

R.I.P. Time to move on (with technology) and up!
Look for a D7K or D7200 as your budget allows. GL

Nov 04, 2017 at 05:39 PM
sonofjesse2010
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · My Nikon D300 has died.

You will enjoy the ISO upgrade in a newer body. Lots of GREAT choices right now.

Nov 04, 2017 at 06:18 PM
ronfronberg
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · My Nikon D300 has died.

Thanks to all. It will probably sit for a while. So many other projects to do.

Nov 04, 2017 at 10:00 PM
adamo99
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · My Nikon D300 has died.

FWIW, every single time I've had to use Nikon support (they're local to me in Mississauga, ON), I have been exceptionally happy. Great work, at fair prices, and with very reasonable turnaround times.

I'd pick up a clean second hand D300. At the prices they're selling at, they're an absolute bargain.

Nov 05, 2017 at 02:17 PM
ckcarr
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · My Nikon D300 has died.

There seem to be a few examples of this if you do some internet searching. At least with my little bit of research. Seems to be a battery issue, either external and contacts, or possibly the battery compartment door isn't holding tight and making good contact. Or possibly the internal battery has given up. Not sure how accurate any of it is, but I'd contact APS in Illinois and ask them, as mentioned above. May be more common and simple than you think.

Nov 05, 2017 at 07:41 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.