FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3              156       157       end

Archive 2017 · The Nikon FX Image Thread

charles.K
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · The Nikon FX Image Thread

Jannik Peters wrote:
Great samples, Charles! I especially love the portrait of the girl!

I just started with a very small lens kit (2.8/24-70 G ED, 1.8/35 G ED, 1.8/50 G, 1.8/85 G) to keep the risk low in case that I don't like shooting with a DSLR.

The 2.8/24-70 G ED is the only lens that I really like a lot so far. The bokeh of the 1.8/35 disappoints me so far, I think I have to get the Sigma 1.4/35 as well.

The 1.8/85 G had a visible front focus that I just corrected, maybe I will like it more now.
...Show more

Thank you very much Jannick See if you can get a simple lens align kit where you can reliably check the AF fine tune adjustment. Most of the lenses will need some tweaks, particularly if you want to nail the eye/face for portraits. The 85/1.8G is an excellent lens and should be very fast and accurate AF. The 50/1.8G is a lens that is really growing on me.

Nov 06, 2017 at 02:03 AM
Lance B
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · The Nikon FX Image Thread

Scenes from Sydney

D810 + 24-70 f2.8E VR

D810 + 24-70 f2.8E VR

D810 + 24-70 f2.8E VR

D810 + 24-70 f2.8E VR

D850 + 24-70 f2.8E VR

Nov 06, 2017 at 03:16 AM
charles.K
• • • • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · The Nikon FX Image Thread

Great shots Lance

Nov 06, 2017 at 03:22 AM
charles.K
• • • • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · The Nikon FX Image Thread

Thank you to Shawn, here on FM sharing his PP skills, I have tried a similar work flow.

Nov 06, 2017 at 04:27 AM
charles.K
• • • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · The Nikon FX Image Thread

D810 and 50 Art

50 Art

Nov 06, 2017 at 07:43 AM
Jannik Peters
• • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · The Nikon FX Image Thread

charles.K wrote:
Thank you very much Jannick See if you can get a simple lens align kit where you can reliably check the AF fine tune adjustment. Most of the lenses will need some tweaks, particularly if you want to nail the eye/face for portraits.

Oh yes, all 1.8 primes needed a +3 adjustment, only the 24-70 seems to work on spot without adjustments.

I will get a align kit, that's for sure. For now, I just made it with a try and error style at different distances to get my gear working somehow. That is really a thing that I miss about mirrorless AF...

Great images, Charles and Lance!

Here are a few shots from a local market (my family only from behind for privacy reasons) captured with the FX 1.8/35.. A lens that I don't really love so far. The weather is depressing in the German november.

Nov 06, 2017 at 04:50 PM
charles.K
• • • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · The Nikon FX Image Thread

Jannik Peters wrote:
Oh yes, all 1.8 primes needed a +3 adjustment, only the 24-70 seems to work on spot without adjustments.

I will get a align kit, that's for sure. For now, I just made it with a try and error style at different distances to get my gear working somehow. That is really a thing that I miss about mirrorless AF...

Great images, Charles and Lance!

Here are a few shots from a local market (my family only from behind for privacy reasons) captured with the FX 1.8/35.. A lens that I don't really love so far. The weather is depressing
...Show more

Thank you Jannik You are right in the respect of mirrorless AF you don't have to adjust, but the responsiveness, speed and all the different modes you have with the later iterations of DSLR's is just amazing. Yes it takes a few minutes to fine AF some lenses but I feel it is worth it.

Nov 06, 2017 at 05:05 PM
Jannik Peters
• • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · The Nikon FX Image Thread

charles.K wrote:
Thank you Jannik You are right in the respect of mirrorless AF you don't have to adjust, but the responsiveness, speed and all the different modes you have with the later iterations of DSLR's is just amazing. Yes it takes a few minutes to fine AF some lenses but I feel it is worth it.

Yes, that's it. My A7II was just way too slow for my boy and the A9 was far out of reach, as well as a few lenses. I have kept the Sony with a few manual high end primes for my landscape photography but don't want to rely on it's AF ever again. The D750 is a different world, I can shoot exactely the spontaineous and emotional portraits of my kid that I want. It also gives me the confidence I need for the occasional jobs that I do. I hated that I never knew if my A7II will work or not in front of a customer.. It somehow always got the job done but it didn't feel right and reliable and I always had the feeling that I could have done it better.

So yes - I total agree, Charles!

Nov 06, 2017 at 05:15 PM
charles.K
• • • • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · The Nikon FX Image Thread

Jannik Peters wrote:
Yes, that's it. My A7II was just way too slow for my boy and the A9 was far out of reach, as well as a few lenses. I have kept the Sony with a few manual high end primes for my landscape photography but don't want to rely on it's AF ever again. The D750 is a different world, I can shoot exactely the spontaineous and emotional portraits of my kid that I want. It also gives me the confidence I need for the occasional jobs that I do. I hated that I never knew if my A7II will
...Show more

It was also the D750 that tempted me back from the A7rII and XT2 just for the functionality of AF and price entry level. The D750 is now just over 3 years old and still has one of the best sensors. I just wish it did not have a AA filter, 1/8000s and would almost be perfect at this price level. The D750 is a very attractive proposition for many of my friends with APS-C cameras as they also love the FF look and it is very affordable with a 50/1.8G lens.

I sure with next few iterations of mirrorless the AF will exceed that of DSLR's, but there is still a finite time frame and at what entry cost.

Nov 06, 2017 at 05:32 PM
Jannik Peters
• • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · The Nikon FX Image Thread

charles.K wrote:
I sure with next few iterations of mirrorless the AF will exceed that of DSLR's, but there is still a finite time frame and at what entry cost.

That is the point. My boy is moving around now and I have already missed too many situations before. I also tried Fuji, but it is also not performing in the way that the D750 does.

Maybe I have placed my bet on a near dead horse, but it is still running fast and it gets me where I want to get.

Nov 06, 2017 at 05:46 PM
4G63
• • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · The Nikon FX Image Thread

Hooked into the Book by Joey Escuin, on Flickr

Nov 07, 2017 at 12:26 AM
charles.K
• • • • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · The Nikon FX Image Thread

Some shots from our trip to Spain, Pontevedra. First shot is of my father in law who has just turned 90
There is another shot taken my wife, Marisa as she was equally comfortable with the D810 and 35 Art.

35 Art

35 Art

35 Art

Nov 07, 2017 at 04:24 AM
mortyb
• • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · The Nikon FX Image Thread

^ Great first portrait - which shows what a gem and bargain the Siggy 35/1.4 really is.

Nov 07, 2017 at 06:23 AM
charles.K
• • • • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · The Nikon FX Image Thread

mortyb wrote:
^ Great first portrait - which shows what a gem and bargain the Siggy 35/1.4 really is.

Thank you very much Morten Yes the 35 Art is fast becoming one of my all time favorites.

An old church in Soller on Majorca. D810 and 35 Art.

Nov 07, 2017 at 07:02 AM
charles.K
• • • • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · The Nikon FX Image Thread

Few shots with D810 and 20 Art

Nov 08, 2017 at 04:24 AM
Jannik Peters
• • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · The Nikon FX Image Thread

charles.K wrote:
Yes the 35 Art is fast becoming one of my all time favorites.

That means something with your lens history

I've just pulled the trigger on the 1.4/35 Art, the 1.8/35 G ED feels somehow lacking when I shoot it next to my Voigtländer Ultron 1.7/35 on my A7II.. Hope, the Sigma will be a better match.

The seascape in the last shots looks impressive, where is it?

Nov 08, 2017 at 07:44 AM
charles.K
• • • • • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · The Nikon FX Image Thread

Thanks Jannik The is near Elephant rock, Currumbin beach, Gold Coast.

The beach, ocean and clouds always fascinated me. I grew up across the road from a beach in Victoria. As a kid with my Nikkormat FTN, I would wander through the sand dunes and beach as a way to chill out.

Congrats on the 35 Art The 35 Art is quite an amazing lens. You should also get the Sigma USB dock to fine tune the calibration.

Nov 08, 2017 at 08:15 AM
akul
• • • • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · The Nikon FX Image Thread

Nice concept image thread enabling broad range.

D700, Zeiss ZF.2 2.8/25
https://www.zeissimages.com/gallery/1070/U1070I1509233073.SEQ.7.jpg

Luka

Edited on Nov 09, 2017 at 12:29 AM · View previous versions

Nov 08, 2017 at 06:28 PM
akul
• • • • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · The Nikon FX Image Thread

charles.K wrote:
Thank you to Shawn, here on FM sharing his PP skills, I have tried a similar work flow.

Charles,

LOVE this shot. Great angle. Very cinematic !

Luka

Nov 08, 2017 at 06:29 PM
charles.K
• • • • • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · The Nikon FX Image Thread

akul wrote:
Charles,

LOVE this shot. Great angle. Very cinematic !

Luka

Thank you very much Luka Very nice shot. I have always loved the rich tonality of the images with the D700.

Nov 08, 2017 at 07:34 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.