FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3              156       157       end

Archive 2017 · The Nikon FX Image Thread

Jannik Peters
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · The Nikon FX Image Thread

Hello everybody,

I decided to start an image thread for all Nikon FX pictures.

This thread is meant to be a pool for all the FX images of the FM users, no matter which lens and FX body has been used. The goal is that everybody can present his work with Nikon FX gear frequently in a relaxed and inspiring way.

The only rules:

- Only images that have been taken by Nikon FX cameras.
- There must be some kind of information about the gear that has been used. This could be EXIF data which can be displayed by the forum software or included by custom image frames, handwritten information (for example "Nikon D750 | Nikon AF-S 1.8/50 G | f/1.8") or anything else.

I hope that there will be a DX image thread in a similar form, I just don't have any DX images to start it.

So let's start with a few of my very first images of the grey German autumn that I took with my new Nikon D750, not the shiniest ones obviously

I'm looking forward with excitement to your contributions!

Nov 03, 2017 at 04:10 PM
Vcook
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · The Nikon FX Image Thread

Wasn't the general consensus that this wasn't needed?

Nov 03, 2017 at 04:26 PM
Jannik Peters
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · The Nikon FX Image Thread

Not really. The recent opinions were to start it and see how it performs. Let's give it a try, at least the people who are interested in it.

Nov 03, 2017 at 04:28 PM
charles.K
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · The Nikon FX Image Thread

Great concept. Just for the fun of capturing images
Some shots captured with the D850 and 14-24/2.8 in the last couple days

Nov 03, 2017 at 06:10 PM
charles.K
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · The Nikon FX Image Thread

Some shots from our very recent trip to Spain, Pontevedra and Majorca

Sigma 35 Art

Edited on Nov 03, 2017 at 06:24 PM · View previous versions

Nov 03, 2017 at 06:18 PM
Blakehfreeman
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · The Nikon FX Image Thread

Look forward to contributing once my darn D850 ships! 😡 Nice images to start this thread!

Nov 03, 2017 at 06:20 PM
NightOwl Cat
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · The Nikon FX Image Thread

Couple from tonight with a 28mm f/2.8 Series E and AI-s 85mm f/1.4 on a D700

© NightOwl Cat 2017

© NightOwl Cat 2017

Nov 03, 2017 at 08:26 PM
tmak400
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · The Nikon FX Image Thread

I'll certainly be following this thread!

Nov 04, 2017 at 07:47 AM
charles.K
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · The Nikon FX Image Thread

This afternoon we visited Brisbane experiencing the amazing Japanese artist Yayoi Kusama

Nov 04, 2017 at 08:51 AM
No Regrets
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · The Nikon FX Image Thread

Jannik Peters wrote:
Not really. The recent opinions were to start it and see how it performs. Let's give it a try, at least the people who are interested in it.

I like this idea! Can we use any lens, such as Zeiss or Sigma, as long as it's taken on a Nikon FX body? Or must it be Nikon Lens on Nikon FX body?

Thanks for starting this thread!

Nov 04, 2017 at 09:09 AM
Jannik Peters
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · The Nikon FX Image Thread

Using an FX body is really the only limitation, any lens can be used

Great start of this thread! Thanks a lot for the first contributions!

Nov 04, 2017 at 09:19 AM
charles.K
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · The Nikon FX Image Thread

A shot in the dark with the D850 and 35 Art. This lens is fast becoming a favorite as it just works. Face/eye AF AF-C it is fast and accurate.

Nov 04, 2017 at 07:25 PM
charles.K
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · The Nikon FX Image Thread

Shots late this afternoon at Tallebudgera Beach. This is a favorite of Archie's. The lighting was changing fast as the thunderstorms were approaching

Nov 05, 2017 at 04:24 AM
Jannik Peters
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · The Nikon FX Image Thread

Great samples, Charles! I especially love the portrait of the girl!

I just started with a very small lens kit (2.8/24-70 G ED, 1.8/35 G ED, 1.8/50 G, 1.8/85 G) to keep the risk low in case that I don't like shooting with a DSLR.

The 2.8/24-70 G ED is the only lens that I really like a lot so far. The bokeh of the 1.8/35 disappoints me so far, I think I have to get the Sigma 1.4/35 as well.

The 1.8/85 G had a visible front focus that I just corrected, maybe I will like it more now.

The 1.8/50 G is just so small and light that it justifies even as a simple backup lens. It was also the first lens that I got with the camera, so it has a kind of nostalgic character to me, even if I just got it recently.

Here are my very first shots with the D750 and the 1.8/50 G. I have the ritual to take pictures of my cats first when I get new gear.

Nov 05, 2017 at 08:06 AM
No Regrets
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · The Nikon FX Image Thread

Jannik Peters wrote:
Great samples, Charles! I especially love the portrait of the girl!

I just started with a very small lens kit (2.8/24-70 G ED, 1.8/35 G ED, 1.8/50 G, 1.8/85 G) to keep the risk low in case that I don't like shooting with a DSLR.

The 2.8/24-70 G ED is the only lens that I really like a lot so far. The bokeh of the 1.8/35 disappoints me so far, I think I have to get the Sigma 1.4/35 as well.

The 1.8/85 G had a visible front focus that I just corrected, maybe I will like it more now.
...Show more

Nov 05, 2017 at 02:11 PM
Jannik Peters
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · The Nikon FX Image Thread

Thank you very much, Don

I agree, I have to give that lens some love and attention in the future!

Nov 05, 2017 at 02:24 PM
Vinnie_VdB
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · The Nikon FX Image Thread

Why o why? There are posts were one can post per camera, per lens, ... and all this in the Nikon section.
There is also something called "presentation boards" that Nikon, Canon, Sony, Fuji, ... shooters can post their masterpieces. This is just getting out of hand and is the purpose of this post beyond me.

Nov 05, 2017 at 03:18 PM
charles.K
• • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · The Nikon FX Image Thread

Vinnie_VdB wrote:
Why o why? There are posts were one can post per camera, per lens, ... and all this in the Nikon section.
There is also something called "presentation boards" that Nikon, Canon, Sony, Fuji, ... shooters can post their masterpieces. This is just getting out of hand and is the purpose of this post beyond me.

Vinnie, I err to disagree. Just take a look at the Sony and Leica threads. I was there when the Leica M9 first arrived in the market and we just posted images regardless of bodies or lenses. Imagery does not care what body or lens, so long as the details are there for people that are interested in comparing. Yes we have master threads, we have body threads, lens threads and becomes very diluted when we try and look and compare. These threads will continue and people will cross post. I was also there when the Sony A7's first arrived and again the image thread was all about all photographers sharing images with the details intact. In all honesty the Sony image thread is one of the most respectful image threads in all forums even outside FM. It is the ability to share images in one location and allow it to flow and for people to facilitate all photographers.

I would like continue to share FX images in this thread. When I was looking to post, do I post in the 20 Art, 24 Art, 35 Art, 50 Art, 24-105 Art, 24-120/f4G, 14-24/f.28G, 50/1.4G, 50/1.8G, 85/1.4G, 85/1.8G or 105E in the D810, D750 or D850. I will continue to post in the D850 as the camera is new and we all wish to share the resources of understanding the quirks and new features. I will also cross in the newer lens threads like the 105E and 58G, but there seems to be little interest in the others and very few to support the thread. I have tried to start threads to share knowledge about Art lenses and wide angle lenses and how they relate to the D850. These are short threads and do fade into the back pages and is a resource for those who can find it.

This is about the fun and art of photography without being restrictive or heavy. The image thread should continue naturally to be at or near the top of the page.

Nov 05, 2017 at 05:40 PM
millsart
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · The Nikon FX Image Thread

Before getting my D850 I spent a lot time reviewing threads for the D750, D810, D850 et al., as well as all the various lens threads, which often fall off the first page. Total PITA having to keep going to like 10 different places to see what is all essentially Nikon FF DSLR photos.

On the Sony forum, there is basically one thread, and it doesn't matter if guys shoot an original A7, or a A7rII, or a A9 etc, its all Sony FE images, with or without FE glass.

Same with the Fuji forum, long running X-mount image thread, where it doens't matter if your shooting a XT1, XT2, XPro etc, its all sharing images using Fuji cameras.

I think its a HUGE benefit being able to scroll through a page or two and see samples of various lens from various cameras. I do think people should always say what lens/camera was used.

I enjoy being surprised at times, such as seeing an amazing portrait and finding its taken with "just" a D750 and 85/1.8, and things of that nature.

As an aside, I always find it strange that often the most vocal complainers on forums are those who hardly even participate. Vinnie, you've posted 393 times since 2009. How much time do you really spend on FM to where the nature of the threads affects you ?

Nov 06, 2017 at 12:39 AM
charles.K
• • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · The Nikon FX Image Thread

Shots with the "mere" D750

35 Art

35 Art

Nov 06, 2017 at 12:44 AM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.