New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

Have 24 hours in Denver - Where to go?

chas
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Have 24 hours in Denver - Where to go?

I am flying into Denver for a business meeting the week after next. I will be on the ground around mid-morning, and the meeting is not until 3PM the following day. I'd like to get out into the mountains for the remainder of that day, overnight and back in for the meeting the following afternoon. Looking for some good mountain landscapes. My ability to bring any significant hiking gear would be very limited. Any ideas on locations would be welcomed.

Regards,
Chas

Nov 03, 2017 at 06:13 PM
stanparker
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Have 24 hours in Denver - Where to go?

Drive to the top of Mt Evans, great views and good wildlife.

Nov 06, 2017 at 09:24 PM
chas
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Have 24 hours in Denver - Where to go?

Stan,
Thanks. Is that road opened this late in the season?

Nov 07, 2017 at 02:55 AM
Darren K
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Have 24 hours in Denver - Where to go?

No, it's not. It closes the day after Labor Day every year, unless snow closes it earlier. If it were summer, that would've been the best suggestion, no doubt.

I'm not much of a fan of our close Front Range areas due to the population factor and higher use, and generally venture further out. If you don't mind doing the same, my traditional "closer" go-to spot after the leaves have fallen is the Great Sand Dunes. It's a 3.5-hour drive from Denver heading south to Walsenburg on I-25, then over. Or, you could take 285 all the way down, which would be more scenic and probably pretty close to the same drive time. Anyway, there are sweet mountains down there (much nicer looking than those close to Denver), and one of the coolest features in the state with the dunes. That's my main suggestion. That area is about the coldest area in the state, so be prepared for a cold morning if you go. Camping is best, otherwise it's a bit of a drive to a motel.

A couple other closer scenic areas are Twin Lakes out of Leadville, and maybe around the Gore Range, like from Ute Pass Road north of Silverthorne.

Nov 08, 2017 at 12:42 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

chas
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Have 24 hours in Denver - Where to go?

Darren,
Thanks for all of the details. The Dunes sound really interesting, but will have to figure out how to fit it in quickly. The other sites also sound promising, so I will do some research. Last question; How much snow is on the ground out near the Leadville /Silverthorne areas?

Nov 08, 2017 at 02:53 AM
Michael H
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Have 24 hours in Denver - Where to go?

Not sure if itís open now, but I have squeezed in a couple quick turnaround trips to the Estes Park area and the RMNP loop. If time allows you can also explore the Stanley Hotel.

Nov 08, 2017 at 03:19 PM
stanparker
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Have 24 hours in Denver - Where to go?

Sorry I didn't think about the road closure so early. (I'm in FL right now, it's easy to forget cold weather.) Colorado Springs might be worth the time. Garden of The Gods, AF Academy Chapel, Manitou Springs, Seven Falls. Even Royal Gorge might appeal to you.

Nov 13, 2017 at 02:42 AM

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password