Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Need some feed back please. (Natural Light Portraits)

dizzy999s

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Need some feed back please. (Natural Light Portraits)

I did these for a friend who needed some headshots. This was my first time doing this type of shoot. I'm a hobbyist. It was a cloudy/drizzling day and I used a reflector to fill-in the shadows on her face. We couldn't get her hair under control because of the drizzle.

Nov 03, 2017 at 05:42 PM
story_teller
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Need some feed back please. (Natural Light Portraits)

Actually, very good for a first-time headshot shoot. You did a good job of subject separation from the background, nice colors, simple top, no blinding jewelry, etc.

I prefer #2 for a couple of reasons. First is that she's turned to the side. Turning her to her side is typically more attractive than flat to the camera. Second, is the facial expression. The expression in #1 looks forced. You didn't say "cheese" did you?? (lol)

Outside, the hair is usually a problem unless you have a hair and makeup person with you. Minimize hair issues as much as you can when photographing and fix the rest in post. Speaking of post processing, you might consider softening the wrinkles under her eyes a bit in #2.

All-in-all, nice job on #2!

Nov 03, 2017 at 06:43 PM
dizzy999s

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Need some feed back please. (Natural Light Portraits)

Thank you.

1# is literally maybe the 4th frame I shot. I was still working on making her feel more relaxed which was a challenge.

These were edited in LR. I softened her skin by reducing clarity. I was worried about overdoing and making her look unnatural.

Thanks again for the feedback!

Nov 03, 2017 at 07:12 PM
beavens
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Need some feed back please. (Natural Light Portraits)

I definitely like #2 better for both the pose and expression. I'm not sure if it's the color setting in the browser, but 2 looks overly warm/reddish to me. Seems fine in PS though.

Anyway, I think a little tighter crop on 2 will help. You can address the stray hairs with some cloning.

Few hasty tweaks below.

Jeff

Nov 03, 2017 at 11:05 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Need some feed back please. (Natural Light Portraits)

2 for me as well, I had the same idea about a forced smile. The second is very good IMO.

Nov 03, 2017 at 11:42 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Need some feed back please. (Natural Light Portraits)

+1 with much of the others.

As you quickly figured out ... getting a person comfortable in front of the camera isn't a simple "light switch" maneuver. Finding that right balance of facial expression is a trick that not everyone (i.e. me) is up to the task.

You mentioned using some negative clarity for smoothing skin ... I tossed on some blur for the hair to see how that might relatively tone things a bit. Also, a smidgen to brighten the eyes a touch, and a corresponding darken to the BG ... i.e. trying to shift off the BG a bit more toward the subject.

Edited on Nov 04, 2017 at 01:26 AM · View previous versions

Nov 04, 2017 at 12:35 AM
Funonthebun

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Need some feed back please. (Natural Light Portraits)

#2 has a more uniform background, the yellow colored leaves among the green are a little distracting in #1.

Nov 04, 2017 at 12:36 AM
dizzy999s

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Need some feed back please. (Natural Light Portraits)

Thanks for the feedback guys!

Nov 06, 2017 at 01:48 PM
dmacmillan
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Need some feed back please. (Natural Light Portraits)

She has a strong jaw line. I think it would be of benefit to shoot her with a higher camera angle. On the second, the camera is below the eye line. I'd photograph her from slightly above eye line.

For grins it would be fun to download a trial copy of Portrait Pro. I find its default settings to be too strong, it tends to change the face too much. The good news is that you can dial back all the settings. It does a good job of skin smoothing without looking plastic, if you dial it back to taste.

Nov 06, 2017 at 03:37 PM
dizzy999s

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Need some feed back please. (Natural Light Portraits)

dmacmillan wrote:
She has a strong jaw line. I think it would be of benefit to shoot her with a higher camera angle. On the second, the camera is below the eye line. I'd photograph her from slightly above eye line.

For grins it would be fun to download a trial copy of Portrait Pro. I find its default settings to be too strong, it tends to change the face too much. The good news is that you can dial back all the settings. It does a good job of skin smoothing without looking plastic, if you dial it back to taste.

Yeah I was shooting slightly below eye line. I will give Portrait Pro a try.

Thank you.

Nov 07, 2017 at 05:07 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password