1       2       3      
       end

At what point in your life did you “need” more megapx

gdsf2
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #1 · p.4 #1 · At what point in your life did you “need” more megapx

90 5.0 wrote:
On the contrary, actually I personally am not hung up with megapixels at all. Other than the curiousoty of why some seem to be and the trend towards it.

What have I been missing that would improve my photography. So far the answer to me is zero, absolute zero benifit for me personally for more megapixels.

Even with my d80 I never once said “I wish this camera had more megapixels “

I have thought, “I wish this camera had higher FPS, better af and better high iso”

The d3 did all that.

The only thing I’ve ever thought with my
...Show more

Dx reach with same image quality IS more MPs. So you do want more MPs..

Nov 05, 2017 at 02:29 AM
Gary Irwin
• • •
p.4 #2 · p.4 #2 · At what point in your life did you “need” more megapx

Blakehfreeman wrote:
With 8k monitors just around the corner I can never have enough megapixels. For today's medium, sure, 12mpix is fine... but for future archival purposes more is better for me.

I think it depends on the “medium”. Many of my prized images taken with my 12MP D300 and D3 look down right shabby on my 5k monitor in terms of sharpness and acquity (when viewed full-screen which is how I like to view images). For years I carefully processed and resized my images to look best on main-stream monitors of the day, but now l process and post at full resolution to try and “future proof” them as much as possible. The only downside is that they really only look best when viewed at 1:1 so anyone without the necessary hardware isn’t going to get the best rendering, as none of the photo hosting sites do a good job with auto-resizing/re-sharpening for smaller screens.

Nov 05, 2017 at 01:34 PM
Gary Irwin
• • •
p.4 #3 · p.4 #3 · At what point in your life did you “need” more megapx

la puffin wrote:
I'm hoping the successor to the D5 has at least 24mp, or better yet, closer to 30mp. Since I shoot sports primly with a 400 or 70-200, dropping is a part of life. Having a little more ability to do so and maintain a certain baseline IQ would be very nice. The D5 is far from bad, but it's one area I hope for an improvement. The D850 is not the answer for that.

My D850 has replaced my D500 and D810, but a 24MP D6 would compliment the D850 beautifully. Not sure I could justify its price, but I sure like to have one!

Nov 05, 2017 at 01:41 PM
90 5.0
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #4 · p.4 #4 · At what point in your life did you “need” more megapx

Gary Irwin wrote:
I think it depends on the “medium”. Many of my prized images taken with my 12MP D300 and D3 look down right shabby on my 5k monitor in terms of sharpness and acquity (when viewed full-screen which is how I like to view images). For years I carefully processed and resized my images to look best on main-stream monitors of the day, but now l process and post at full resolution to try and “future proof” them as much as possible. The only downside is that they really only look best when viewed at 1:1 so anyone without the
...Show more

I guess having monitors that aren’t the latest I don’t see that, but also viewing photos on a monitor isn’t my end result for my pics, I keep a file titled (for print) that I put a copy of the ones I want to print and print everyso often.

For me the end result for my photos is how the look printed. On canvas backs etc etc

I still make print albums of things we do, events gatherings etc and they are in the book shelf.

When family or friends are over that’s how we look at them. Not on a monitor.

Maybe I’m just too old school.

Sometimes we’ll break out the slide projector on the wall and look at old stuff too

Nov 05, 2017 at 07:15 PM
90 5.0
• • •
p.4 #5 · p.4 #5 · At what point in your life did you “need” more megapx

gdsf2 wrote:
Dx reach with same image quality IS more MPs. So you do want more MPs..

So crop for the shot a lot instead of tryin to shoot it the way you want it.

Nov 05, 2017 at 07:16 PM
gdsf2
• • •
p.4 #6 · p.4 #6 · At what point in your life did you “need” more megapx

90 5.0 wrote:
So crop for the shot a lot instead of tryin to shoot it the way you want it.

I don’t know what “instead of shooting it the way you want” means, but If you want your D3 to have the reach of DX, it has to have more MP so you can crop. It is one of the major reasons why people want more MPs.

Nov 05, 2017 at 09:01 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Lance B
• • • •
p.4 #7 · p.4 #7 · At what point in your life did you “need” more megapx

Gary Irwin wrote:
I think it depends on the “medium”. Many of my prized images taken with my 12MP D300 and D3 look down right shabby on my 5k monitor in terms of sharpness and acquity (when viewed full-screen which is how I like to view images). For years I carefully processed and resized my images to look best on main-stream monitors of the day, but now l process and post at full resolution to try and “future proof” them as much as possible. The only downside is that they really only look best when viewed at 1:1 so anyone without the
...Show more

Interesting thoughts, Gary. I too have been toying with the idea of going through my past images on my PBase site and resizing them to fit the larger res screens and also like you, I like to see the images at almost full res on those screens. I now post images at 2700 x 1800 pixels to get the most from my 3840 x 2160 pixel screen - allowing for internet display and info borders etc.

Nov 05, 2017 at 09:10 PM
Mark_L
• • • •
p.4 #8 · p.4 #8 · At what point in your life did you “need” more megapx

The second I bought a digital camera. I only bought one once stitching software reached a good level since there were not enough MP for landscapes (12MP at the time)

My D800E is 16x24" print before I have to interpolate which is pretty small. 5K monitors are coming. I want 60MP. I work hard for my pictures and I want them to have the maximal quality I can afford.

Nov 05, 2017 at 09:20 PM
clew
• • • •
p.4 #9 · p.4 #9 · At what point in your life did you “need” more megapx

Paid group shots of 30+ people that will be printed greater than 20"x30".

Nov 06, 2017 at 04:45 PM
OccAeon
• • •
p.4 #10 · p.4 #10 · At what point in your life did you “need” more megapx

I like the ability to crop. Other than that, I don't see huge differences between shots I took with my D7000 at 16MP and my D810.

Nov 06, 2017 at 05:46 PM
desvenne

p.4 #11 · p.4 #11 · At what point in your life did you “need” more megapx

The ability / flexibility offered to crop / take out a detail / change aspect ratio for different purposes...

For instance, it's nice to be able to re-use part of a lifestyle portrait (in portrait orientation) for a canvas-printed backdrop of a few square meters (in landscape orientation) with still enough detail left. But I think my specific use case is rather unique, I don't really now.

With the D700, I couldn't have done that specific example, I'd have to reshoot. With the A7RII, not a problem (substitute for a Nikon higher megapixel model).

Nov 06, 2017 at 06:37 PM
elkhornsun
• • • •
p.4 #12 · p.4 #12 · At what point in your life did you “need” more megapx

The D3 was fine if I did no cropping. Any amount of cropping and even a modest 11x14 print was a problem. With my wedding photography I need to crop to eliminate backgrounds that detract from the main subject(s) and it is seldom feasible to simply move closer and this also alters perspective.

24MP full frame is to me as much camera as most should need for prints up to 20x30. In many situations if more resolution is needed then it is possible to shoot multiple frames and stitch them together.

Something that surprised me with the D800e was that I could enlarge a JPG from this camera nearly as much as a RAW file from the D3. It put into perspective the gain in resolution provided with the 36MP sensor.

Nov 07, 2017 at 12:57 AM
1       2       3      
       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password