New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       4       end

At what point in your life did you “need” more megapx

90 5.0
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · At what point in your life did you “need” more megapx

During the early digital camera days we needed more mega pixels.

My very first digital was a point and shoot. Iirc it shot 1/.5/.3 options. I remeber shooting a lot of my bs photos @.3 to save card space(this was a long time ago but it seems like I remeber it that way)

Couldn’t blow stuff up very big and I don’t think I ever printed anything off it(I had slr’s For print shooting)

My first real dslr was a d80, 8mpx. Can’t crop a hole lot and still print large but you can crop and print pretty big picks off it, then d200(same sensor just better body and faster af-d drive motor, as I had a lot of af-d lenses still and few af-s)

My newest camera is a D3, 12mpx. Prints well but I didn’t get it for bigger megapx, faster af, FF, better high iso
Etc etc. megapx weren’t even a consern of mine.

At some point I want to upgrade but am not really in a hurry. Will more than likely upgrade the dx camera first for range with telephoto.

When I do it will be for, better high iso and af,

At what point did you think to yourself” this camera doesn’t have enough mgpx “ and why?

What am I missing? Is it crop ability? Printing crazy crazy large(would think this would be only advertising type photogs shooting for billboards??)

Largest I print ever is 11x17, my 8mgpx d80 handles that fine.

What am I missing ? This is a serious post , even if it seems somewhat toungue in cheek.

What are the reasons you needed more mega px in your camera choices?

Nov 03, 2017 at 03:35 PM
Vcook
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · At what point in your life did you “need” more megapx

90 5.0 wrote:
Largest I print ever is 11x17, my 8mgpx d80 handles that fine.

D80 is 10mp.

More MP gives you more crop-ability, that's the biggest boon for me. That being said I'd have been happy if the 850 was only 36mp, I didn't need more than my D800 was giving me.

Nov 03, 2017 at 03:54 PM
rdeloe
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · At what point in your life did you “need” more megapx

I can only think of two:

1. You need to make large prints at a specific number of pixels per inch.
2. You crop a lot (and make prints)

If you're only shooting for social media, phones or the web, you're probably good to go with 8 MP... If you don't crop and you print to 11"x17" and 200 ppi is your happy place, then a 8 MP sensor will be just about right. With a 16 MP sensor you'll be getting almost 300 ppi, which many people would agree is plenty.

Nov 03, 2017 at 03:54 PM
nuclearjock
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · At what point in your life did you “need” more megapx

My biggie is crop ability. Helps with wildlife especially small birds.

Nov 03, 2017 at 03:55 PM
TooManyShots
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · At what point in your life did you “need” more megapx

It wasn't so much I need to print big. When shooting at ISO 1600+ and you need to crop...because in sports photography you are to shoot tight and crop tighter. That's when I realize I need more MP. That was how I jumped from 1dmarkIII to Nikon D7000. Currently shooting with a D7200 and I love this camera....

Nov 03, 2017 at 04:03 PM
gdsf2
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · At what point in your life did you “need” more megapx

Nikon and others have been increasing MP as they also make the cameras better in other ways (e.g. AF). So, I get more MP as a side benefit really. I need 36 as I do print large and crop. Everything after that was just a bonus.

Nov 03, 2017 at 04:34 PM
chip_master
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · At what point in your life did you “need” more megapx

Unlike internet speed or bigger screens I think pixels for the majority of folks has less and less value.

While I really like what my D810 can do compared to my D5 and can imagine the D850 will wow me, w/o a great/right lens cropping can go only so far.

I'd say 99% of the foto's I take and share with others are viewed on an iPhone, probably my old D3s was plenty good enough even with a crop to look good there

Nov 03, 2017 at 04:55 PM
jbonzo1
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · At what point in your life did you “need” more megapx

I've used a D3 and D800E for the last couple years.
90% is the 800E since I rarely shoot sports now. The newest camera AF and high ISO performance is the big gain. I could replace both bodies with a D850 and I may do that next year.
And my first Nikon DSLR was the D200, which blew away the EOS 1D mkI and mkII bodies I used at the newspaper.

Nov 03, 2017 at 04:59 PM
henry albert
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · At what point in your life did you “need” more megapx

So far, never. Some of my nicest, sharpest images are from a D200 and a 1D2n. The only caveat is that I've always had quality long lenses: 500 IS, 600 AF-S, 200-400, 300 2.8, etc., so not much need for severe cropping. I've also never settled for SOOC images; instead, processing RAWs to the best of my ability. Finally, almost everything I do is PJ oriented and I don't need really large prints.

Nov 03, 2017 at 05:10 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · At what point in your life did you “need” more megapx

Depends on what you are shooting and what you need to output. Only you can decide that.

For shooting studio portraits, you should never need to crop. For shooting wildlife, a camera that allows for lots of cropping can be a major advantage because you often only have a second to react and you often can't change the distance to your subject.

Nov 03, 2017 at 05:35 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

chez
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · At what point in your life did you “need” more megapx

The day I bought myself a 44” HP printer is the day I could use more pixels. I’m still searching for more as I do print living room sized prints quite often.

Nov 03, 2017 at 05:36 PM
Christian H
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · At what point in your life did you “need” more megapx

I couldn't tell you how many megapixels my cameras have without looking it up. I've no idea why you'd think it matters.

Christian

Nov 03, 2017 at 06:29 PM
PeaktoPeek
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · At what point in your life did you “need” more megapx

I was pretty happy with 12 for a long time. My first DSLR was only 8 and I didn’t feel like it was equal to the 35mm I was using with respect to print quality. It was only when I made prints at 20x30+ that I decided I needed to go up from 12. I’ve been happy with 24 for the last 6 years and I’m pretty sure I don’t need more than that for what I do.
Paul

Nov 03, 2017 at 06:34 PM
johnvanr
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · At what point in your life did you “need” more megapx

The first time I saw a Nikon D800 image at 100% on my screen... I was hooked.

That said, I don’t really need all those MP and I got rid of all my Nikon and Sony gear. My Olympus stuff is 20mp and my Canon 18 and 30mp, I think.

I would like higher MP for birds, but fast and accurate focus is more important than pure resolution. The latter doesn’t matter if the bird isn’t in focus.

Nov 03, 2017 at 06:35 PM
90 5.0
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · At what point in your life did you “need” more megapx

Imagemaster wrote:
Depends on what you are shooting and what you need to output. Only you can decide that.

For shooting studio portraits, you should never need to crop. For shooting wildlife, a camera that allows for lots of cropping can be a major advantage because you often only have a second to react and you often can't change the distance to your subject.

I don’t shoot studio at all.

Pics of the kids, dogs family stuff.
Nature, wildlife love bif.
Boat racing.

I could use more cropability I suppose. There have been shots I would have liked to be closer.
A 400 with a 1.7 is a long as I’ve shot on dx or fx.

I was just trying to figure out the craze we have now it seems. When I started my break from paying attention to photography as far as what’s new etc etc the d3x had just come out and it was huge then. Seems small now

Just wondering really.

Thanks for all the input.

I’m pretty well set on glass have the usual primes28/50/85/135 for walk around and portrait type, some zooms etc 70-200 2.8, 80-400 and 300 f/4. Rent a 400 2.8 when I need it.

So been thinking new body lately maybe, but was curious if there was any real reason for my shooting I should care more about the mp of the body for something I wasn’t understanding or not.

Seems like no, high iso and af will still be my main drivers when I’m ready. All the newer cams are plenty mgpx for my needs

Nov 03, 2017 at 06:38 PM
90 5.0
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · At what point in your life did you “need” more megapx

Vcook wrote:
D80 is 10mp.

More MP gives you more crop-ability, that's the biggest boon for me. That being said I'd have been happy if the 850 was only 36mp, I didn't need more than my D800 was giving me.

It’s ten? Hahahaha

That’s how much I’ve paid attention to mgpx I can’t even remeber accurately how many my bodies I have are!

Nov 03, 2017 at 06:40 PM
kwilliam8
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · At what point in your life did you “need” more megapx

When I bought an Epson Stylus Pro 7900 printer (24 inch paper rolls), and when I started shooting action images (birds and wildlife, rodeo, airshows, etc.) that need some cropping. Typically, I shoot action images with a D500/D5, and print those images 14" x 21". Typically, I shoot landscapes (including cityscapes) with a D800/D850, and print those images 20" x 30". Occasionally, I print panoramic landscapes wider than 30". It's rewarding to be able to walk right up to these large prints and still see crisp detail in the prints (assuming proper shooting technique and processing).
Keith W.

Nov 03, 2017 at 06:47 PM
Blakehfreeman
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · At what point in your life did you “need” more megapx

With 8k monitors just around the corner I can never have enough megapixels. For today's medium, sure, 12mpix is fine... but for future archival purposes more is better for me.

Nov 03, 2017 at 06:51 PM
worldexclus1ve

p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · At what point in your life did you “need” more megapx

Don't need the MP for what I do. Things are going on the web and social media at a higher rate than printing. Unless I worked for an ad agency or shot wildlife, I will leave the high MP cameras on the shelf.

Nov 03, 2017 at 06:53 PM
runamuck
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · At what point in your life did you “need” more megapx

About the time I realized I wanted more inches?

Nov 03, 2017 at 07:23 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password