Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Do you offer other types of photography?

bipock
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Do you offer other types of photography?

I think most people here offer wedding photography or do it as a second shooter.

How many of you offer other types of sessions, be it family, seniors, sports or so on? And if you do, do you brand it differently from your weddings or separate it from your wedding website?

I really enjoy family and senior photography, but, where I am, the competition for families has become ridiculous. $30 mini sessions for really bad photography get eat up and same with seniors. That's fine, but I'm not stooping to that level or trying to pursue those people.

I've considered dropping it and offering only weddings, with family/senior work being done for friends and referrals only. It would be eliminated form my website, which would give an appearance of solely being a wedding photographer.

I'm interested to see how many people do just weddings and if you think it had an impact on your wedding business.

Nov 03, 2017 at 01:32 PM
ZachOly
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Do you offer other types of photography?

We stopped offering family sessions for random inquiries 2 years ago and it was one of the best decisions we made. We'll do them for previous wedding clients and friends, but everyone else gets an automatic "no".

Around here the going rate for a family session is $150 for 30min and 10 digitals. And after all the work involved, it wasn't worth the $75 we'd clear after taxes and expenses. There's also a lot of competition in this area amongst newbs; many of whom can take a solid grip and grin which is all most families are looking for.

Nov 03, 2017 at 02:08 PM
amonline
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Do you offer other types of photography?

Family & seniors. Family went on the blog & FB. Seniors went on FB only, with permission. Branded the same; just not published/presented the same. Wedding based site is about connections. Family seems appropriate, but sub-categorized. Seniors just didn’t fit. Commercial stuff randomly. Never connected to anything publicly. No sports in my area worth getting into. (money-wise, that is)

Nov 03, 2017 at 02:11 PM
amonline
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Do you offer other types of photography?

ZachOly wrote:
We stopped offering family sessions for random inquiries 2 years ago and it was one of the best decisions we made. We'll do them for previous wedding clients and friends, but everyone else gets an automatic "no".

Around here the going rate for a family session is $150 for 30min and 10 digitals. And after all the work involved, it wasn't worth the $75 we'd clear after taxes and expenses. There's also a lot of competition in this area amongst newbs; many of whom can take a solid grip and grin which is all most families are looking for.

No wonder you stopped. I wouldn’t touch them for under $500/hr. (I include some prints and digitals, based on session length)

Nov 03, 2017 at 02:14 PM
level1photog
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Do you offer other types of photography?

I offered family, children, portraits, and maternity photography at starting rate $300/hr with limited digitals. It's only 1/10 of my starting wedding package. It's not going to make or break me, but I do it because it give me an opportunity to be a well rounded photographer and to hone some skills.

Because I have 2 kids, I have a soft spot for family photography. However, I find it to be alot of hassle since most parents aren't willing to pay for quality family photography. I've considered not offering it anymore or increase my price to weed out budget clients maybe to $500 starting package.

Nov 03, 2017 at 02:31 PM
LeeSimms
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Do you offer other types of photography?

I do families for $850, upto a 90min session (though most are over in 45) — they get files. Without marketing I do 6 a year (I live in a wealthy college town with a lot of high tech employers).

We've thought about actually marketing the service.

Nov 03, 2017 at 02:34 PM
level1photog
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Do you offer other types of photography?

LeeSimms wrote:
I do families for $850, upto a 90min session (though most are over in 45) — they get files. Without marketing I do 6 a year (I live in a wealthy college town with a lot of high tech employers).

We've thought about actually marketing the service.

That's a good rate. You should market the service or subcontract someone to do them and you edit it.

I don't live in a wealthy town. My prices are too expensive for my city. All my wedding/engagements/family are outside of my city.

Nov 03, 2017 at 02:38 PM
LeeSimms
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Do you offer other types of photography?

I think the shooting is why people will pay that invoice. You're creating desire. If you show one photo that looks like Forever Moments with Debbie (sorry if that's your company name) then you're toast and lumped in with the $30 mini-session folks.

We have an easier time finding decent sub-contractor wedding shooters.

Nov 03, 2017 at 02:42 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

bipock
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Do you offer other types of photography?

amonline wrote:
Family & seniors. Family went on the blog & FB. Seniors went on FB only, with permission. Branded the same; just not published/presented the same. Wedding based site is about connections. Family seems appropriate, but sub-categorized. Seniors just didn’t fit. Commercial stuff randomly. Never connected to anything publicly. No sports in my area worth getting into. (money-wise, that is)

So you only have wedding work on your website? Families in the blog/FB and seniors just FB. But neither on your website. Can you PM me your website?

Nov 03, 2017 at 04:29 PM
InSanE
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Do you offer other types of photography?

If you have spare time expand on video, not the small stuff.

Nov 03, 2017 at 05:53 PM
joelconner
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Do you offer other types of photography?

We shoot a lot of boudoir in addition to our wedding work. We would love to do more families, but it has been hard charging what we need to charge to make it worth it...most people tend to cheap out on family photos.

Nov 03, 2017 at 06:25 PM
flash
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Do you offer other types of photography?

Gone the other way. I've stopped advertising weddings and now shoot 80% commercial. Moving into drones and arials next year. Still shoot weddings but only on referral.

Much happier.

Gordon

Nov 03, 2017 at 09:17 PM
amonline
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Do you offer other types of photography?

bipock wrote:
So you only have wedding work on your website? Families in the blog/FB and seniors just FB. But neither on your website. Can you PM me your website?

This was all back when I was still shooting, but the blog was (a secondary) part of the site; just not the first thing a visitor sees, or jumps to look at. (site designed more for wedding traffic, but families and seniors can find those offerings easily) So, the site catered to wedding clients, but the rest was easily available if they looked for it. Like another member mentioned, I liked targeting couples/families for life for the decade I did weddings; i wasn’t necessarily looking for one-offs. (although, I did some from time to time)

Sorry, but I took my site down this past spring when I decided not to shoot any longer, following three years of dialysis and a kidney transplant. Otherwise, I would have shared it.

Nov 03, 2017 at 10:43 PM
bipock
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Do you offer other types of photography?

All good brother, all good. Congrats on the transplant - you got a "newish" lease on life!

Nov 03, 2017 at 10:57 PM
glort
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Do you offer other types of photography?

I have done a lot of things and done them concurrently.

At one time I was doing weddings and glamour which go hand in hand as they have a large overlaping market. I was also doing glamour and Kids. One lot of kids was done by an assistant/ partner and the other was doing swim schools.

No way I wanted some PC whinging bored mother casting dispersions about me photographing Naked women and Children and drawing some TV " must be a pervert" mentality about that.
I had 2 Completely different websites AND phone numbers with one having a PO box and the other a physical address. Never had a problem although I did come across 4 Previous glam clients that now had Children.

I think the "Branding " thing a lot of people go on with is over rated. People don't follow photographers that much unless they are in the market. You don't need to have established some sort of reputation as the worlds best shooter over 10 years to get work .
Also depends how you use the site. For me with the kids site, I went out and found the clients ( which was what I loved about that market, I could see where the target was) and the website was like a referral source for more info and to see what I had done, read testimonials etc. Yes, bought a couple of enquiries in but I wasn't relying on it for that. The glam site was different, that was a backup for other marketing such as trade shows and a lead generator as well.

I have also done Commercial, Industrial ( loved that!) advertising and promotional work, Sports, events, underwater, real estate, Insurance/ medical work and family portraits.

The reason I have done so many things in multifold.
Some I see an opportunity in and persue it. Sometimes that work can be ongoing and other times that work dries up for reasons beyond my control. A lot of the corporate work I did was like that. Changes to our tax laws meant that work ( and things like Business lunches) came to a halt. The insurance stuff was a friend and some of his friends were sending people to me whom had been in accidents and were making insurance claims. Seeing the way some of these people were as far as disfigurement and hearing how their lives, confidence and will to live had just been ruined was too much for me. I'm just not made of strong enough stuff to not let that affect me and play on my mind. Money was great, enough clients to make a good living on that alone but I was far too much of a pussy to handle it.

Some work like real estate I did for a while and then just loose passion for it. Same thing, every day. Half the places are tips that preclude you from actually knowing if you did a good job on the place or not because it was such a shitfight to begin with. Others like the sports work, becomes over saturated or under patronised and the returns are no longer Viable.
Many times I have given something away then find a contact or a niche and go back to it.

I like changing gears now and then because it keeps you learning rather than getting bored and stale and everything you do you take something from the last market to the new one and mixing up strategies and methods often makes you seem different and fresh to the clients because often people in a particular market all do things the same way. Many times I have been rejected on one way of doing things so I have proposed another method that I did in the last market and that wins the gig. Same paint, different colour.

Doing the work is not the trick. GETTING the work is the make or break.
It's why I don't promote wedding work any more. It's an over saturated commodity that is just too expensive to effectively market oneself in and get decent returns for the time and financial investment. I work by referrals where my promo time and cost is nil and because they have come to me, I am able to charge a much more viable price for my time and efforts.

My wife was only saying last weekend where we are now there would be heaps of work doing Kiddie pics. I'm usually one to go where the work is and regard myself as a Photographer, not a wedding photographer or a sports photographer or pidgeon hole myself into any one thing, hence the variety of stuff I have done but there is no way I am doing kids now. Firstly I never liked it, secondly, not going to torture myself with reminders and memories.

I would potentially look at doing the swim school work again because it was so damn profitable and I don't have much to do with the little spawns of satin. Hopefully 20 sec with each one and move on. Might shoot 2000 a week but at least it's quick and the money I make is huge.

Nearly everything I have done has had an impact on wedding work.
Glam clients are a ripe target market in the Wedding demographic. Done the wedding of the secretary for the commercial client. The bride has a dance school so gets me to shoot the end of year pics and so it goes.
It's the relationship and rapport that counts more than anything. They use you for one thing, you say you do weddings, great, your hired because the relationship and trust is already there.

Nov 04, 2017 at 03:34 AM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password