Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

end

best well-designed monitor for photo editing?

voidsherpa
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · best well-designed monitor for photo editing?

Macro wrote:
PA272W was $699 on B&H two weeks ago.

That's what it was when i posted the link. Bought one last year for $899 but came with a rebate for a free hood. Never been let down with NEC and they will most likely have my business for duration.

Nov 07, 2017 at 03:48 PM
Alan321
• • • • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · best well-designed monitor for photo editing?

When considering monitors, also consider the monitor colour management program that goes with it. The right program will let select a combination of screen brightness and colour space with a single setting. Otherwise you have to select the colour space and the brightness separately, increasing the chance of not correctly matching one with the other.

My Dell monitor lets me store up to two brightness / colour space combinations, but I'm sure that the NEC and Eizo stored more than two. Do check for yourself, however.

Also consider the ppi rating of your monitor. Do you want the usual low ppi that requires a physically bigger screen to show the same information, or a higher ppi that allows a smaller screen to show the information. Most of the lovely NEC and Eizo screens use 110ppi. I much prefer 185ppi (4k, 24" screen). Higher ppi looks even nicer but causes problems with many software interfaces. Obviously, viewing distance is a big factor, but my aging eyes and reading glasses preclude any possibility of adjusting focus to suit different distances

Nov 08, 2017 at 01:23 PM
ggreene
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · best well-designed monitor for photo editing?

xoda wrote:
One monitor that has caught my eye is the Dell UP2716D. The edge-to-edge screen is nice.
Are there any other ones like this, but better performing?

I have the UP3216Q and find it to be a very nice monitor. The default color seems quite good to me and it has had no issues with hot or dead pixels and no issues with my trash can Mac and scaling. The screen real estate is so nice to have.

Nov 08, 2017 at 08:29 PM
msalvetti
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · best well-designed monitor for photo editing?

I just bought a BenQ 2700 refurb for $459. One left right now: https://www.benqdirect.com/benq-outlet/refurbished-monitors/sw2700pt-refurbished-monitor.html

If it is gone, keep checking. It took 2 or 3 weeks of checking back periodically before I finally found it in stock. I haven't set it up yet.

Mark

Nov 09, 2017 at 03:38 AM
R.H. Johnson
• • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · best well-designed monitor for photo editing?

i just purchased a BenQ SW2700PT it arrived yesterday. i am in the process of evaluating it as i type. i don't know what the hell was wrong with me. it is absolutely a must to have a good wide gamut monitor.

with that said, i am utterly blown away by the difference from my Samsung compared to the SW2700PT. the only complaint i would have is i paid $657.00 for it new. they were out of the refurbs when i bought mine. i have not calibrated it yet so i'm still straight out of the box. i think the brightness is set too high.

i read a review somewhere and it mentioned that the factory setting for brightness was a bit on the high side. i forgot what he said he set the brightness to. i guess i will get it right when i calibrate the darn thing. i did not see any dead pixels and the monitor appears to be illuminated evenly across the screen. albeit, it seems to be just a tad bit brighter right at the edges where the panel intersect the bezel. if anyone knows the proper value to set the brightness, i would surely like to know. thank you in advance.

Edited on Nov 09, 2017 at 11:33 PM · View previous versions

Nov 09, 2017 at 11:29 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · best well-designed monitor for photo editing?

The best brightness depends on the room lighting and your taste. Typically it will be from 80-120 nits. I prefer 100.

EBH

Nov 09, 2017 at 11:32 PM
R.H. Johnson
• • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · best well-designed monitor for photo editing?

EB-1 understandable units of measurement/adjustment please. what are nits? the brightness adjustment on the monitor is from 0-10 in 0.10 increments. it came set at 9.0 which we can equate with 90%. it was too bright for me so i lowered it to 8.0 or for simplicity's sake 80.00%. it is my understanding when this monitor is setup properly it will auto adjust to the brightness of the room.

Nov 09, 2017 at 11:40 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · best well-designed monitor for photo editing?

Nits is the same as cd/mē. 0-10 is an arbitrary range, not a specific amount of brightness.
During the calibration process, there is usually a step to select the desired target brightness in the software and adjust the monitor brightness to obtain that value.

EBH

Nov 09, 2017 at 11:51 PM
R.H. Johnson
• • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · best well-designed monitor for photo editing?

thank you sir. i have not gotten there yet.

Nov 10, 2017 at 12:21 AM
R.H. Johnson
• • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · best well-designed monitor for photo editing?

update: my 1st print nearly matches what is see on the BenQ SW2700PT. that's straight out of the box factory calibrated in the Adobe RGB gamma setting. of course i print using the proper ICC profile for the media i'm printing on. to me that is very impressive a near one to one color match between the print and monitor on the very 1st run. i'm loving it.

Nov 11, 2017 at 12:01 AM
       end

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password