Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

best well-designed monitor for photo editing?

xoda
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · best well-designed monitor for photo editing?

I'm looking for a monitor with a relatively wide color gamut for editing photos. I don't do much else besides browsing the web or editing photos, so features such as response time don't really matter to me.

What I do care about, however, is finding one that's well-designed. Many of the NEC and EIZO monitors look as though they're garish things from 15 years ago.

One monitor that has caught my eye is the Dell UP2716D. The edge-to-edge screen is nice.https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1194915-REG/dell_up2716d_27_widescreen_led.html

Are there any other ones like this, but better performing?

Nov 03, 2017 at 08:34 AM
Peter Figen
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · best well-designed monitor for photo editing?

Would you rather have an inferior screen that looks pretty or one that has the best quality image, calibration, uniformity, viewing angles, etc. What were we taught in school - Form follows function.

Nov 03, 2017 at 01:24 PM
rdeloe
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · best well-designed monitor for photo editing?

You either need wide gamut or you don't. Unless you're using a colour managed workflow, you probably don't!

If you do, Eizo and NEC seem to be the best options. You get what you pay for. However, there are some good but less expensive options. For example, I use a pair of Dell U2413 24" monitors. They're wide gamut, well made, and have a hardware LUT. I just bought (but haven't received) a 30" Dell UP3017 (also wide gamut and hardware LUT). Lots of people rave about the BenQ SW2700PT. I tried one and didn't like it, but I seem to be in the minority. It's very affordable for what you get.

Nov 03, 2017 at 01:43 PM
butlerkid
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · best well-designed monitor for photo editing?

Eizo or NEC. I do a lot of photo editing. I have a 30" NEC which I bought with the hardware and software for calibration. Love it! It has a simple black border. What's so garish about that?

Nov 03, 2017 at 02:49 PM
rico
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · best well-designed monitor for photo editing?

Garish? Here's Eizo old and new technology on my desk. The mid-grade SX series gives most features of the CG line at lower cost. I get 27", 10 bits per channel, three video inputs, USB hub, plus monitor base that tilts, rotates and swivels.

Nov 03, 2017 at 04:17 PM
elkhornsun
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · best well-designed monitor for photo editing?

Best current display and a great value at its price is the HP Z30i IPS 30-inch one that has 100% Adobe RGB gamut displayed and with its 16:10 ratio has more height than 32" displays which are all 16:9 ratio.

B&H is selling this display for $994 and the only better monitor that I would consider buying is the NEC 4K display that sells for $2700.

Nov 03, 2017 at 07:05 PM
pw-pix
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · best well-designed monitor for photo editing?

Benq SW2700 for a 27" and they have other models in other sizes.

Nov 04, 2017 at 09:02 AM
Rajan Parrikar
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · best well-designed monitor for photo editing?

Take a look at the BenQ 30Ē 4K monitor. Excellent monitor at a very good price.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1308753-REG/benq_sw320_32_led_monitor_3840x2160.html

PS: Iíve had it for 6 months now and havenít experienced any of the issues a few reviews in the link above have cited.

Nov 04, 2017 at 04:28 PM
melcat
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · best well-designed monitor for photo editing?

I have the exact same monitor as rico's (shown above), and a stylish room to put it in. The decor is a fashionable grey and beige, with art nouveau light fittings, and wooden furniture like recycled baltic pine and a mid-century desk, and the grey/charcoal monitor blends in unobtrusively. You have to remember these are low-volume, high quality monitors that are expected to last a long time and be used in many different environments in different countries. They are not going to follow short-lived US fashion or be too out there.

There's also electronics in there to ensure colour stability as the monitor heats up, and a LUT, and a KVM switch. That takes space.

Perhaps "garish" is not what you really meant. Everything is black or grey except for a small badge. But it could be regarded as dated styling.

If style is your main concern, Apple is the obvious choice. The better (all now?) iMacs have a P3 gamut (different from Adobe RGB, but still wide) but you have to use the computer they come with. The whole machine is cheaper than the EIZO CX270 alone.

Edited on Nov 05, 2017 at 04:33 AM · View previous versions

Nov 05, 2017 at 12:49 AM
Mescalamba
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · best well-designed monitor for photo editing?

Im fine with my Eizo looking bad. Having aRGB coverage just makes it nearly unnoticeable.

Their only stylish line is Foris as far as I know. But dunno about their color coverage, it surely has sRGB, no clue if wider.

FORIS FS2735, gaming LCD. Looks reasonably cool and still is IPS.

Nov 05, 2017 at 12:59 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

voidsherpa
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · best well-designed monitor for photo editing?

NEC PA272w are on sale for a stupid cheap price atm.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1006641-REG/nec_pa272w_bk_multisync_pro_27_gb_r.html

Nov 05, 2017 at 02:16 AM
cope07
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · best well-designed monitor for photo editing?

To the OP, I do understand where youíre coming from. As the panel specs of a monitor go up they often get uglier.

Thereís the thinkvision x1 (100%sRGB)
https://www.amazon.com/Lenovo-ThinkVision-LED-lit-Monitor-60E2GAR1US/dp/B01EORW6YM

The BenQ SW320 is a pretty neutral black monitor (Iíve seen it in person) to go wiaway h itís great price for the spec

The HP envy monitor is also good looking but again sRGB
https://www.google.com/shopping/product/17398397641808867059?q=hp+envy+monitor&safe=off&lsf=rt:2,seller:3149668&hl=en-us&lsft=gclid:Cj0KCQjwyvXPBRD-ARIsAIeQeoHVSLxM0QmXx2smCD9OgdusWdmPMXdHMF6VV6SCpAiSBk4eVt-NQ3AaArIkEALw_wcB&prds=oid:15410462405165008233&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjf7Ob2uKbXAhUC92MKHdnxDHsQsIwCCAU

I personally use an Apple 30Ē Cinema Display, because itís a good resolution for the size (and what my 2013 MBPr can handle) in that it goes a full 1600 pix high, matte, ZERO wobble, and theyíre cheap as chips now. It doesnít hurt that I think theyíre some of the most modern, aesthetically pleasing displays.

Nov 05, 2017 at 03:05 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · best well-designed monitor for photo editing?

Do you have to use a PC display? I often found Mac stuff to have that overly stylized look.

Some of the cheaper displays have few if any height and tilt adjustments. Look for one with good ergonomics. I prefer the Eizo CG displays with the built-in calibrators. Otherwise make sure the display has a LUT that will work with your calibration device and software.

EBH

Nov 05, 2017 at 03:37 AM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · best well-designed monitor for photo editing?

rico wrote:
Garish? Here's Eizo old and new technology on my desk. The mid-grade SX series gives most features of the CG line at lower cost. I get 27", 10 bits per channel, three video inputs, USB hub, plus monitor base that tilts, rotates and swivels.

http://makino.fi/rico/sony/misc/macpro.jpg

Enjoy the juxtaposition of that computer and that (!) monitor on the left... ;-)

melcat wrote:
The better (all now?) iMacs have a P3 gamut (different from Adobe RGB, but still wide) but you have to use the computer they come with. The whole machine is cheaper than the EIZO CX270 alone.

Well-equipped iMacs make excellent photography workstations. (Yeah, I know, not if you are a PC user. No problem there.)

Nov 05, 2017 at 03:22 PM
howardm4
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · best well-designed monitor for photo editing?

$800 for the NEC 272 is an awesome price

Nov 05, 2017 at 04:23 PM
Mike Veltri
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · best well-designed monitor for photo editing?

http://www.benq.us/product/monitor/pv270/

Nov 05, 2017 at 04:27 PM
Mr Mouse
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · best well-designed monitor for photo editing?

I'm slightly color blind but still, want good color and good viewing angle. The best is not required IMO. I use three Dell IPS displays two are very old and the newest is a 24" 4k IPS display Amazon sell it for 350 and it a perfect fit with my old 20" 4:3 dell displays.

Nov 05, 2017 at 05:26 PM
Rajan Parrikar
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · best well-designed monitor for photo editing?

voidsherpa wrote:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1006641-REG/nec_pa272w_bk_multisync_pro_27_gb_r.html

This NEC is a superb monitor which I use as a backup. However, the technology is now several years old (nothing wrong with that, per se - just an observation) and it is not 4K. The BenQ monitors provide an excellent price to quality ratio.

See this review -

https://luminous-landscape.com/benq-sw320-32-inch-adobe-rgb-monitor-review/

The author provides full disclosure that he is a BenQ "ambassador." After 7 months of use of the 32" 4K BenQ, I am very satisfied with the product.

Nov 05, 2017 at 06:23 PM
rw11
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · best well-designed monitor for photo editing?

anybody else use 2 monitors?

if so, how do you set up LR for best use?

Nov 05, 2017 at 08:10 PM
Macro
• •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · best well-designed monitor for photo editing?

voidsherpa wrote:

PA272W was $699 on B&H two weeks ago. I bought a pair from B&H in September for $799 with free shipping to replace my PA241W. Excellent displays calibrated with SV using an i1 Display Pro.

Nov 07, 2017 at 03:15 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password