New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Broken Lens

jcdill

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Broken Lens

Not my lens.

A friend who is a CPS Platinum member and who takes impecable care of his camera gear had recently sent his Canon 24-105 L into CPS for routine servicing (cleaning and adjusting, nothing was wrong with it). Shortly after he got it back, he went on a trip to Hawaii for his birthday, and to see and photograph the volcano eruption and lava flows. He was shooting with the 24-105 and then went to take it off to swap to his 100-400 when it literally broke apart as he took it off his camera.

Photos here:

https://www.facebook.com/jc.dill.5/posts/1717967578213269

We are speculating that CPS didn't properly reassemble the lens and that either the screws were loose and fell out or that they only put one screw in (he only found one screw).

Has this sort of thing happened to anyone else?

Nov 03, 2017 at 01:22 AM
dgdg
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Broken Lens

Well, two years ago I was competing in the Iditarod along with my half brother from Midway Island. He just had his lens cleaned and inspected by an unnamed third party a couple weeks prior and never had a chance to test it. When we crested an unexpected hill while filming, the camera hit his forehead. His mid-range zoom fell off into a hole in a lake that fishermen had used the day before. We believe something was done to the mount but with the lens at the bottom of the lake we had no way to prove it.

Nov 03, 2017 at 02:09 AM
M. Best
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Broken Lens

Stuff does happen like this from time to time. The technician might have gotten distracted and forgot a step.
Working at a Toyota dealership, there’s been several times where the lube tech forgot the oil drain plug and drove the car someplace to wait for the customer. That can be an expensive mistake.

Nov 03, 2017 at 02:15 AM
hotdog12
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Broken Lens

I tend to keep my gear clear of the shop unless it has suffered damage. Sending stuff in for "routine maintenance" can, as you see, be problematic. Just a personal preference from over 35 years as a photojournalist.

Nov 04, 2017 at 10:31 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Broken Lens

I had a Canon coupon for a cleaning so I sent a camera in and it came back much dirtier (sensor and VF). So I sent it back and it was a little cleaner but the body retuned with a few more scratches on it. After that, I just clean it myself and don't fix it if it ain't broke...

Nov 04, 2017 at 10:56 PM
Jeff Nolten
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Broken Lens

CPS "routine servicing" is, I assume, a "clean an check" which means they clean the surface glass and check that the lens functions normally on a camera. Nada mas. So unless it was in for repair they didn't open the lens up or change anything on it. I'm sure they would work with you if the breakage was related to their serviceing.

I'm a CPS subscriber and send all my bodies to them at least once a year for clean and check. The cameras come back with no dust spots on the sensor and bodies generally as clean I gave it to them. I do have to recheck all the settings because sometimes these change. Generally no complaints so far. I live fairly close to the Calif center so I save postage by dropping the cameras off when I'm driving by anyway.

Nov 04, 2017 at 11:51 PM
Blair Maynard

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Broken Lens

M. Best wrote:
Stuff does happen like this from time to time. The technician might have gotten distracted and forgot a step.
Working at a Toyota dealership, there’s been several times where the lube tech forgot the oil drain plug and drove the car someplace to wait for the customer. That can be an expensive mistake.

Did that once, but it only resulted in a minor Exxon Valdez incident in my garage.

Nov 05, 2017 at 04:03 AM
mikeinctown
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Broken Lens

Unless it was repaired they aren't going to open the lens just to clean it. The notes on the invoice will show what they did to the lens. It is possible that they replaced some parts, in which case yes they might be at fault but it is highly unlikely. The timing seems odd, but the world is full of strange occurrences.

Nov 05, 2017 at 12:35 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Broken Lens

jcdill wrote:
Not my lens.

A friend who is a CPS Platinum member and who takes impecable care of his camera gear had recently sent his Canon 24-105 L into CPS for routine servicing (cleaning and adjusting, nothing was wrong with it). Shortly after he got it back, he went on a trip to Hawaii for his birthday, and to see and photograph the volcano eruption and lava flows. He was shooting with the 24-105 and then went to take it off to swap to his 100-400 when it literally broke apart as he took it off his camera.

Photos here:

https://www.facebook.com/jc.dill.5/posts/1717967578213269

We are speculating that
...Show more

Years ago my 300/2.8 Nikkor loosened right after service and just about fell in half. (There was 1/4" of tilt, which made it unusable.) They fixed the lens later, but it loosened a second time. In general agree with "don't fix it if it ain't broke," but my lens needed AF service atr the time.

EBH

Nov 05, 2017 at 04:49 PM
dallvr
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Broken Lens

I'm a CPS Platinum member. Sent a lot of stuff in to Costa Mesa for cleaning after a trip to Namibian deserts (2 bodies, several lenses) last year. CPS returned my 11-24 with a big scratch on the front element. It had been in perfect condition but I just wanted to make sure that there wasn't sand or dust inside the lens when I sent it in. CPS immediately replaced the front element, for which I am grateful, but still! How does something like this happen? Another lens, my 100 macro, was sent to another CPS member in southern CA instead of being returned to me. CPS got it back, gave me a loaner for the couple of weeks I was without the lens.

Was it just a bad week for the repair facility? Has this kind of thing happened to other people or was I just extremely unlucky?I dropped my membership in CPS for nearly a year and just recently re-joined. I'm hoping that when I send my 1DXII in for a sensor and chamber cleaning that it comes back to me in great shape.

Nov 05, 2017 at 06:34 PM
billsamuels
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Broken Lens

That takes the cake on unusual lens incidents. I bought an EF 400 F/5.6L a few years ago used and I could see specs of dirt inside so I sent it to Canon (in southern California) and they called me to say that the circuit board was bad. After authorizing $400 for the board and another $75 for the cleaning, when I got it back, the lens didn't focus worth crap, whereas, with the dirt, it still focused razor sharp. I sent it back a second time to Canon and they wanted to charge me another $400 to replace something else even though I showed them photos taken before they had it the first time and after two days of arguing with them on the phone, they finally gave in and said they would would fix it at no additional charge.

That was my first and only experience w/ sending a lens to Canon for cleaning or repair and I was not impressed. I have been very impressed with their 800 number on the east coast though where they've replaced batteries that shorted out a half-year out of warranty.

Nov 06, 2017 at 02:55 AM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Broken Lens

Blair Maynard wrote:
Did that once, but it only resulted in a minor Exxon Valdez incident in my garage.

I drained a deep fryer all over the kitchen floor - commercial kitchen. What a hell of a mess - it took a lot of newspapers and plenty of hot, soapy water to sort that one out.

Nov 06, 2017 at 08:33 AM
dallvr
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Broken Lens

That further reduces my confidence in the Costa Mesa facility. It sounds as though they were trying to find additional things that you would need to pay for. I think I will try one of the eastern facilities instead.

Nov 07, 2017 at 03:54 PM
Tom Robinson
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Broken Lens

I use CPS NJ and always have had quick pleasant service. Very pleased.

Nov 09, 2017 at 03:11 PM
timgangloff
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Broken Lens

I wonder how his screws came loose. Last night at a basketball game, I noticed by 70-200 2.8 IS II was a bit loose on the mount. Took it off the camera and found that all four screws were very loose, with one nearly coming out. The lens had last been serviced a couple of years ago, but nothing recently, so I have no idea of how the screws came loose. On a lighter lens, I may not have notice it until it was too late. Perhaps it was not CPS.

Nov 09, 2017 at 03:35 PM
dallvr
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Broken Lens

Good to know! I'll try NJ for my 1DXII.

Nov 09, 2017 at 03:43 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password