Username  

FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

US Southwest trip - Zion, Bryce Canyon, Monument Valley, etc

joeybk85

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · US Southwest trip - Zion, Bryce Canyon, Monument Valley, etc

Recently got back from a road trip to Utah and Arizona. This wasn't a photography specific trip because I was with my wife and daughter, but I did manage to get out a few times for sunrise and sunset. Here are my favourite photos from the trip.

1. Canyon Overlook, Zion

This shot was taken a few hours after sunrise, but the sun was hidden by some soft clouds, so the lighting wasn't too harsh. 100MP panorama. Shot with Fuji X-T2 and 35mm f/1.4

2. Inspiration Point Sunrise, Bryce Canyon

There was some lightning in the distance but wasn't able to capture any unfortunately. The fog was rolling in so I was lucky to get this photo before it was too thick. 94MP panorama. Shot with Fuji X-T2 and 35mm f/1.4

3. Dead Horse Point State Park Sunset

This is more of a sunrise spot, but I'm still pretty happy with how this turned out. There was a guy next to me shooting with 4 cameras as the same time. I'd love to see his photos! 100MP panorama. Shot with Fuji X-T2 and 18-55mm f/2.8-4

4. Monument Valley Sunset

Not too many clouds in this one, but I still like the subtle tones in the sky. Such a beautiful place. 60MP panorama. Shot with Fuji X-T2 and 35mm f/1.4

5. Horseshoe Bend Sunset

This place is way overdone, but I couldn't not do it I got there like 1 and a half hours early to secure a spot. I think I did manage to get one of the best ones. It was super windy and my tripod was right on the edge. I'm not afraid of heights but this was still pretty scary, especially with all the people around. Shot with Fuji X-T2 and 10-24mm f/4

6. Antelope Canyon

This place is a zoo, packed with people. Still worth seeing IMO, it's incredible. I booked the photo tour and somehow I was the only person on my tour! Other photo tour groups had like 15+ people. I was really lucky and my guide was great and making sure I got my shots. Shot with Fuji X-T2 and 10-24mm f/4

The American Southwest is such a beautiful place. Can't wait to go back. Not sure where my favourite place was.

I also went to the Grand Canyon but the conditions weren't great for photography; the canyon was kind of hazy and the sky didn't have a single cloud. My best shot of the Grand Canyon is this one:

Comments and criticism welcome!

Edited on Nov 03, 2017 at 02:10 AM · View previous versions

Nov 03, 2017 at 12:47 AM
ITR010342
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · US Southwest trip - Zion, Bryce Canyon, Monument Valley, etc

Bryce and Horseshoe Bend shots are great! Love it out there as well! Well done!

Nov 03, 2017 at 01:26 AM
ITR010342
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · US Southwest trip - Zion, Bryce Canyon, Monument Valley, etc

Bryce and Horseshoe Bend shots are great! Love it out there as well! Well done!

Nov 03, 2017 at 01:26 AM
kwilliam8
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · US Southwest trip - Zion, Bryce Canyon, Monument Valley, etc

Beautiful images of some iconic places. I especially like your Bryce image!
Keith W.

Nov 03, 2017 at 02:15 AM
Dustin Gent
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · US Southwest trip - Zion, Bryce Canyon, Monument Valley, etc

very nice set! They are putting up a railing at Horseshoe Bend soon

Nov 03, 2017 at 03:10 AM
Mubeen
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · US Southwest trip - Zion, Bryce Canyon, Monument Valley, etc

Nice photos

Nov 03, 2017 at 06:15 AM
junglialoh
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · US Southwest trip - Zion, Bryce Canyon, Monument Valley, etc

awesome set of spectacular scenes thanks to your upload that allow us to see such great images

Nov 03, 2017 at 11:21 AM
ckcarr
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · US Southwest trip - Zion, Bryce Canyon, Monument Valley, etc

3. Dead Horse Point State Park Sunset

This is more of a sunrise spot, but I'm still pretty happy with how this turned out. There was a guy next to me shooting with 4 cameras as the same time. I'd love to see his photos! 100MP panorama. Shot with Fuji X-T2 and 18-55mm f/2.8-4

That certainly would not make him a better photographer now would it? I think it would make him an arrogant a** IMO.

Nov 03, 2017 at 02:01 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

joeybk85

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · US Southwest trip - Zion, Bryce Canyon, Monument Valley, etc

Thanks for the comments everyone!

That certainly would not make him a better photographer now would it? I think it would make him an arrogant a** IMO.

Maybe not better, I don't know... He must have been up to something? I frequently use 2 cameras. Sometimes I use one for a panorama and one for a wide angle shot, or one with a wide angle and one with a telephoto, etc. Just to capture 2 different versions of the scene. I only carry one tripod so I usually clamp the second camera to one of the tripod legs, or onto a railing or something that I can clamp a camera to.

Nov 03, 2017 at 06:41 PM
tntcorp
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · US Southwest trip - Zion, Bryce Canyon, Monument Valley, etc

fantastic series

Nov 03, 2017 at 09:28 PM
Don George
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · US Southwest trip - Zion, Bryce Canyon, Monument Valley, etc

Beautiful set of images

Nov 03, 2017 at 09:34 PM
DaleBerlin
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · US Southwest trip - Zion, Bryce Canyon, Monument Valley, etc

Beautifully captured set of iconic locations.

Nov 03, 2017 at 09:36 PM
johnmatrix84
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · US Southwest trip - Zion, Bryce Canyon, Monument Valley, etc

Great work! The first one might be my favorite. I like the blue and red contrast you captured with the soft light in the valley. Sunrise and sunset are not always the best time to capture these places.

Nov 03, 2017 at 10:32 PM
dbehrens
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · US Southwest trip - Zion, Bryce Canyon, Monument Valley, etc

Great set! You did well for this time of year - but I think you need to revisit during monsoon season. Interesting capture of footprints at Horseshoe Bend. Dave

Nov 03, 2017 at 11:55 PM
joeybk85

p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · US Southwest trip - Zion, Bryce Canyon, Monument Valley, etc

johnmatrix84 wrote:
Great work! The first one might be my favorite. I like the blue and red contrast you captured with the soft light in the valley. Sunrise and sunset are not always the best time to capture these places.

Thanks!

---------------------------------------------

dbehrens wrote:
Great set! You did well for this time of year - but I think you need to revisit during monsoon season. Interesting capture of footprints at Horseshoe Bend. Dave

Thanks! Definitely want to go back at some point during monsoon season.

Nov 06, 2017 at 02:27 AM
MedicineMan404
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · US Southwest trip - Zion, Bryce Canyon, Monument Valley, etc

All well done!

Nov 07, 2017 at 11:41 AM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password