New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Film shooters - weird question for you

Dustin Gent
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Film shooters - weird question for you

I have a camera loaded with Fuji Reala, which is my all time favorite. It has been loaded in my F65 for 3+ years and I no longer have Nikon gear. Dumb of me not to shoot with it before selling the 14-24 i know...

for me to simply wind up the Reala and just send it in to get the 8 exposures developed seems super wasteful since they no longer make this film and it is hard to get.

Should i just call it good and do just that? I don't have access to Nikon glass other than renting it. Probably a dumb question, but it pains me to waste THAT many frames of Reala (24, give or take)..

major problems, i know

Here is a shot of Reala - going to rescan this one..

Nov 02, 2017 at 11:40 PM
AbramG
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Film shooters - weird question for you

Do you have another 35mm camera? I would rewind it and leave the leader out, load it into another camera and skip to like frame 9 or 10 and then finish the roll

I swap rolls all the time, it's no big deal as long as you remember what frame you were on (I usually write it on the canister with a sharpie when I pull the roll out).

Nov 02, 2017 at 11:45 PM
Magnus919

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Film shooters - weird question for you

For the cost of a rental lens, could you get a cheap adapter to mate one of your current lenses to it?

Nov 02, 2017 at 11:50 PM
Dustin Gent
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Film shooters - weird question for you

AbramG wrote:
Do you have another 35mm camera? I would rewind it and leave the leader out, load it into another camera and skip to like frame 9 or 10 and then finish the roll

I swap rolls all the time, it's no big deal as long as you remember what frame you were on (I usually write it on the canister with a sharpie when I pull the roll out).

I have my Contax RX to use. Also, i will have to look to see how to do this. Just don't want to expose the film..

Nov 02, 2017 at 11:57 PM
Dustin Gent
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Film shooters - weird question for you

Magnus919 wrote:
For the cost of a rental lens, could you get a cheap adapter to mate one of your current lenses to it?

I wish - but Contax lenses don't fit on a Nikon body due to the lens clearance

Nov 02, 2017 at 11:57 PM
vmunhoz

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Film shooters - weird question for you

Just rent a lens for a weekend and go for it! Rentals are super cheap! Don't waste film, you'll regret it

Nov 03, 2017 at 12:03 AM
AbramG
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Film shooters - weird question for you

So from what I understand the F65/N65 doesn't have any custom functions to allow leader-out rewind so the only thing you could do would be to rewind it and watch the counter, when it feels like it's just about to finish you could pop open the back which would cancel the rewind.

It's not as hard / scary as that sounds to be perfectly honest. I used to do that with some compact film cameras that didn't have the leader out option.

Otherwise yeah it sounds like renting or borrowing a lens may be your option.

Nov 03, 2017 at 12:18 AM
runamuck
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Film shooters - weird question for you

You may find a leader retriever somewhere. Mine is lost to the dustbin of some box somewhere. IF you can find a 1 hour developer they can retrieve the leader for you

Nov 03, 2017 at 01:19 AM
Dustin Gent
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Film shooters - weird question for you

great ideas!

Nov 03, 2017 at 02:29 AM
Mathieu18
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Film shooters - weird question for you

Iíll probably be passing through Salt Lake next weekend over night Saturday. I could bring you an AIS 35/1.4, 50/1.2, 25-50/4 or will most likely be carrying my 75-150 Series E anyway.

Nov 03, 2017 at 02:41 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Dustin Gent
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Film shooters - weird question for you

Mathieu18 wrote:
Iíll probably be passing through Salt Lake next weekend over night Saturday. I could bring you an AIS 35/1.4, 50/1.2, 25-50/4 or will most likely be carrying my 75-150 Series E anyway.

i appreciate the offer, but i have to work all weekend

Nov 03, 2017 at 06:34 AM
Mathieu18
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Film shooters - weird question for you

Ah, sorry to hear. Any good sunrise spots near Provo/Salt Lake?

Dustin Gent wrote:
i appreciate the offer, but i have to work all weekend

Nov 03, 2017 at 01:38 PM
Gary Clennan
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Film shooters - weird question for you

I would just rewind it and get it processed... BTW - Reala can still be found on Ebay and the prices are reasonable.

Nov 03, 2017 at 02:20 PM
Dustin Gent
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Film shooters - weird question for you

Gary Clennan wrote:
I would just rewind it and get it processed... BTW - Reala can still be found on Ebay and the prices are reasonable.

this is true! However i picked up the last 6 rolls that were available a few weeks ago and non have been listed since. Not that I shoot that much, but still like to stock up on it

Nov 03, 2017 at 04:27 PM
Dustin Gent
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Film shooters - weird question for you

Mathieu18 wrote:
Ah, sorry to hear. Any good sunrise spots near Provo/Salt Lake?

You could drive I-80 west past the airport and find some sweet spots along the lake shore. There is a "park" that is outside Provo that Timpanogos overlooks. The salt flats are flooded (or were a few weeks ago) that looks pretty sweet, but that is 100 miles from the airport

Nov 03, 2017 at 04:33 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Film shooters - weird question for you

I've got a little tool to retrieve the film leader rolled into the canister. It's pretty simple and easy to use. Should be something on eBay.

Nov 03, 2017 at 04:55 PM
ken.vs.ryu
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Film shooters - weird question for you

Go to a thrift store, try cl, and look for a nikon.

Or make a pin hole camera.

Nov 03, 2017 at 06:24 PM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Film shooters - weird question for you

go to good will or whatever and get a beater f-mount lens is my vote. or whatever you can find for 5 bucks on ebay/craigslist.

Nov 03, 2017 at 06:42 PM
AmbientMike
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Film shooters - weird question for you

Idk how rewind works on that camera, specifically, but I've taken stuff into the bathroom, shut the door, turned the light off, opened the back, and it didn't seem to hurt anything if it's dark enough and you don't take too long.

If you unwound the film off the camera somehow, it's pretty easy to turn it back into the cartridge.

On my cameras I'd just rewind manually, leavibg the leader out, put it in the new camera, and put a lens cap on or hold my hand in front of the lens , using a fairly fast ss, until I'd advanced the film far enough

Nov 03, 2017 at 06:43 PM
Mathieu18
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Film shooters - weird question for you

Thanks, looks like it'd add about 2 hours if I took that to 93. Long shot, but would you take 80 to 93 up to Twin Falls or would you go North up I15 and take 26 around Craters of the Moon? Headed to Boise from there, looks like either trip would be about 2 hours longer than taking the interstates.

Dustin Gent wrote:
You could drive I-80 west past the airport and find some sweet spots along the lake shore. There is a "park" that is outside Provo that Timpanogos overlooks. The salt flats are flooded (or were a few weeks ago) that looks pretty sweet, but that is 100 miles from the airport

Nov 03, 2017 at 07:54 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password