New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Where to share hi-res images

ffstory
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Where to share hi-res images

I am wondering if there is any image sharing service for sharing images in hi resolution that look good on hi-dpi devices.

I use iMac 5k and Macbook Pro with retina display with P3 colour profile and hi-dpi scaling. Hi-res Images in Lightroom look noticeably better than the same image shared on sites like 500px, flickr, forum (including FM) as these don't really support hi-res.

I am subscriber to diglloyd.com and it is perfect there as the site natively support hi-dpi modes. I can potentially replicate the same on my site with some CSS trick but really wish there was an image sharing service or portfolio gallery with support for hi-dpi and deep colour profile.

Nov 02, 2017 at 09:40 PM
engardeknave
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Where to share hi-res images

+1

Image sharing sites butcher photos with resizing/compression/over-sharpening. So many people are using tiny screens that there hasn't been much pressure to keep up with high-res display technology.

Nov 02, 2017 at 09:50 PM
dgdg
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Where to share hi-res images

I found Smugmug does a fine job with my 4k monitor. Images on my PC look the same as Smugmug hosted.
I had your issue with Zenfolio and have been very happy since the switch.

Nov 04, 2017 at 02:30 PM
rdeloe
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Where to share hi-res images

+1 for SmugMug.

Nov 04, 2017 at 02:38 PM
takomaru

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Where to share hi-res images

Been using Prodibi 1st as a teser, now fully launched. You're only limited by your space, not by image size; even the free version will allow you to upload, share, edit full sized images to 100% detail, take a look http://www.prodibi.com/
https://takomaru.prodibi.com/a/kr6q0w6kxdwr8j
That's a sample I uploaded to print some 3D work

Nov 05, 2017 at 12:37 AM
Zenon Char
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Where to share hi-res images

This place does and it is free but I'm sure about it. I guess a start up so not sure how safe it is. I only have about 12 images there. In about a year when everyone has 1000 images they may start charging.

https://lensdump.com

from that site

Nov 05, 2017 at 01:54 PM
Zenon Char
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Where to share hi-res images

This is from Portfolio. My mew website after signing up for subscription.

?h=9525835cb07d11362157bfb4411e086f

Nov 05, 2017 at 02:08 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Zenon Char
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Where to share hi-res images

Another from Portfolio

?h=5f12fe9658a51d4bc9014b3bf295882f

Nov 05, 2017 at 02:11 PM
ffstory
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Where to share hi-res images

Whilst the images above might be good captures they have so small resolution (1200px or so on longer side) to make an impact on hi-dpi screen.

I don't think anything embedded to fm will ever look good unless the forum itself will support 2x+ image scaling.

I will do another trial of Smugmug to see how far they got since I tried them last time.

Nov 05, 2017 at 09:22 PM
Zenon Char
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Where to share hi-res images

I have heard a lot about Smugmug. I had an account with Zenfolio for years but dropped it a few weeks ago when I found out I got Portfolio for free with the subscription. Zen is a little more expensive but will provide you with your needs. You may want to them out as well.

I used Photobucket for years just for the smaller images and illustrations (things I did not want on my site) until they wanted $39 a month to link images. I joined here and now I can upload directly.

The only other reason I started to use lensdump was to post an occasional image at DPreview. The upsizing from the original is badly butchered with direct downloads.

Nov 05, 2017 at 10:16 PM
UCSB
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Where to share hi-res images

If you have an Adobe CC subscription, definitely try their Portfolio offering. It is free and does a great job.

myportfolio.com

Nov 06, 2017 at 06:31 AM
Zenon Char
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Where to share hi-res images

Yeah I was not sure it would link. Other sites offer BBC, Urls, etc. I just right clicked and copied it. That bird was my first post using it.

At the editing pate. The gear icon - Edit your Settings - Site Options you can disable the right click so people viewing your site can't copy an image. They can just do a grab or screen shot but it still nice to lock it.

Nov 06, 2017 at 02:50 PM
engardeknave
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Where to share hi-res images

Lensdump looks promising. Unfortunately, this board is misconfigured and bbcode can't be used to link a small image to the url of a larger version. A rogue lightbox is stealing the link.

Nov 06, 2017 at 04:58 PM
Zenon Char
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Where to share hi-res images

I don't know much about that stuff.

Nov 06, 2017 at 05:18 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password