Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · How to light this room?

BlaineM

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · How to light this room?

I could use some advice on how best to light this room. The event in question is a quinceanera during which I will need to light the entrance, and the father and daughter will be doing two dances. The room is about 100 feet wide by 200 long, and the ceiling I would say is around 30 feet, with a balcony above the entrance. There are spotlights, but only to the sides and not in front/behind, and during the choreographed dance they will be facing forward and I believe the spots will not light their faces very well.

The equipment I have at hand are three flashes with radio master/remote capability, one trigger, two 9 foot stands, one flash grid, and two cameras.
The current plan for the dances is using two off camera flash, one in the back left corner, and the other above on the balcony, opposite corner of the first flash. The one on the balcony with a grid to keep the light contained to the dance floor, and the one in the back zoomed to 200 to keep as little light from spilling to the walls and tables as possible. One camera with wide angle lens using the trigger. The other camera with telephoto with the 3 flash to trigger the off camera and possibly using the flash for a touch of fill. No gels as the background light will be purple and the spots will be white.

For the entrance, either I will just use the camera with flash set to bounce, or keep the the flash on the lightstand for the back someplace near to the front during the entrance and move it to the back after.

The goal for my lighting is to light them well while retaining the ambient lighting in the background and sides as much as possible. The tables will have orange lights, and their are purple lights in background while facing both the stage and the entrance/balcony. There are spotlights on the sides but thinking they might not do that great of a job lighting the faces while they are doing their two choreographed dances, during which much of the time they will be facing the entrance/balcony, and also because during the second dance the spots will not be constant, but rather this flashing pattern (sure to cause me a headache trying to light their faces, no doubt!).

Any other thoughts on how to tackle this?

Nov 02, 2017 at 04:17 PM
voidsherpa
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · How to light this room?

Color of the ceiling?

Nov 02, 2017 at 04:36 PM
BlaineM

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · How to light this room?

voidsherpa wrote:
Color of the ceiling?

The back half of the ceiling is white, the front half closer to the balcony/entrance is a skylight.

Nov 02, 2017 at 04:39 PM
voidsherpa
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · How to light this room?

Well that changes things, what time of day? and when does it dark where you are at.

Nov 02, 2017 at 05:11 PM
BlaineM

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · How to light this room?

voidsherpa wrote:
Well that changes things, what time of day? and when does it dark where you are at.

It will be dark outside at the time of the event.

Nov 02, 2017 at 05:14 PM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.