New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Dye Sub Printer Question

voidsherpa
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Dye Sub Printer Question

Are these printers able to sit a few months between sessions, or does that cause issues. Also whats the life expectancy of them? what fails, are they only good for so many prints, etc

Looking at this style.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1276228-REG/hiti_88_d2035_01at_p525l_photo_printer.html

Nov 02, 2017 at 05:32 PM
elkhornsun
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Dye Sub Printer Question

No ink to dry up or clog jets so dye sub are infinitely better, as are color laserjet printers, for occasional printing. I use a HP color laserjet for my casual printing and anything that will be matted and possibly framed I have printed at a lab as their prints are much more durable than any inkjet print and they also mat them for me.

Dye sub ribbons are expensive but there is no waste involved. Colors are limited by having only 3 colors for the ribbon but it is OK for event printing and similar situations. Paper size is also limited to what the printer is designed to produce. I prefer uploading files to Costco for basic 8x10 and smaller prints and being able to pick them up or have the files go to a store across the country for a friend to pick up and the cost per print is less than the cost for a sheet of inkjet photo paper.

Nov 03, 2017 at 07:18 PM
ShotByTom
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Dye Sub Printer Question

I've tried so many different combinations of printers for events. The Dye subs can sit forever with no effect. I used DNP 40 and 80 printers.

But...a lot of people didn't like the paper they printed on. I now just use $40 inkjet printers for about 5 events a year, and love them. The paper is better, the photo quality is better, and I don't have to spend hundreds when I need to buy ink or paper. I use 3rd party inks and epson paper, and haven't had any problems at all. I usually have 3 inkjet printers running at an event, and I pool them so there is no delay in printing.

Nov 06, 2017 at 04:39 AM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password