New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · 35mm Sigma Art Number 3

Paul Mo
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 35mm Sigma Art Number 3

Going from Canon I sold my first Sigma 35mm to invest in Sony. Sony couldn't cut it in the generalist photography I do so now I am back with Canon.

I bought another 35mm Art but was never happy with it - obsessively shooting test shots at 1.4 and fretting. I sold it.

Months later and I just bought my third copy. This one's a keeper.

In considering the EF 35 f1.4L II, I borrowed a friend's copy - dangnabbit if I can't tell his f1.4L and Art #3 apart.

Locally a mint f1.4L goes for $1690.00.

Art #3 cost $510.00.

Third time's a charm.

Nov 02, 2017 at 04:15 AM
fplstudio
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 35mm Sigma Art Number 3

I got a good one at the first shot and cannot be happier. I used it on 6d and now on 5dsr and it delivers the best IQ of all my lenses (tot 8 of which 5 Ls). Focus is great as well. Enjoy.

Nov 02, 2017 at 04:56 AM
vonhohenstaufe

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 35mm Sigma Art Number 3

Is the $510 new or used? If new, where?

I've tried three copies and all had focusing problems - wide open, the focus was inconsistent within 5-7 feet, then beyond that the lens often wouldn't focus at all. When it nailed focus, the result was great though. If a retailer is selling for $510 I'd try a fourth copy.

Nov 05, 2017 at 10:53 AM
Mike Veltri
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 35mm Sigma Art Number 3

I do wonder how long the siggy will match the Canons output.
It seems that overtime most third party lenses don't stay as sharp as when they were new. A good reason to buy the sigma dock.

Funny here in Canada I see more used recently released new sigma art lenses than any other brand of recently released lenses from Canon or Nikon for sale.

Nice to hear you found a sharp copy.

The ef 35mm II is a stunner and one I doubt I will get rid of anytime soon.

Nov 05, 2017 at 11:47 AM
ashton lamont
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 35mm Sigma Art Number 3

I wonder whether its still all that relevant to go for a 35mm rather than the highly regarded Sigma 20mm f1.4 art when the bodies are now so high that you can easily crop - not withstanding what your own specific requirements are. I have a 5DS-R and two 5D-IVs and rather than the time-honoured 35mm and 85mm primes I got the 20mm siggy (the 35mm siggy has enough bad press to worry me) and use with my existing 50mm f1.2L I nearly bought a 50mm Sigma art as my Canon 50mm was borderline not economic to repair but the latter is weatherproof so I paid up. I also now have the Sigma 85mm f1.4 art and for my purposes it pretty much replaces my heftier Canon 70-200 f2.8L IS on the 50mp 5DS-R.

Pete

Nov 05, 2017 at 04:32 PM
sungphoto
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 35mm Sigma Art Number 3

I haven't been as picky about my sigma art 35 f1.4 in terms of sharpness, but I find I use pretty rarely now because its focus accuracy is kind of hit or miss. I find AF accuracy to be a little troublesome on the 85 sigma art f1.4 as well at closer focusing distances.

Nov 05, 2017 at 04:57 PM
Isaacheus
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 35mm Sigma Art Number 3

I have the 20mm sigma, and use my sisters 35mm quite often - I'd still go for the 35 if you like the 35 length, the 20 has a few drawbacks to me that make the 35 useful in its own right, namely filters and weight. Ideally, getting both would be perfect for me. The 24 vs the 35 might be a different story - I haven't really heard much about this lens at all?

ashton lamont wrote:
I wonder whether its still all that relevant to go for a 35mm rather than the highly regarded Sigma 20mm f1.4 art when the bodies are now so high that you can easily crop - not withstanding what your own specific requirements are. I have a 5DS-R and two 5D-IVs and rather than the time-honoured 35mm and 85mm primes I got the 20mm siggy (the 35mm siggy has enough bad press to worry me) and use with my existing 50mm f1.2L I nearly bought a 50mm Sigma art as my Canon 50mm was borderline not economic to repair but
...Show more

Nov 05, 2017 at 06:14 PM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 35mm Sigma Art Number 3

I bought used. Used it at Loy Khratong celebrations - all's good. Never noticed focusing issues in the Sigma 24mm f1.4 I owned or any of the now 3 35's.

Nov 05, 2017 at 06:38 PM
NJPhotographer
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 35mm Sigma Art Number 3

I have a good 35 Art too. Very nice lens.

Nov 06, 2017 at 03:04 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.