Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Question on White Balance when shooting Raw.

stanj
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Question on White Balance when shooting Raw.

IndyFab wrote:
An old timer told me once to set WB when you wanted to set WB by using the back of your palm in the light your shooting, no need for gray cards. Said it works every time.

What race was he? You sure it wasn't exposure? Your skin is some sort of orange, which would skew the value quite badly.

Nov 03, 2017 at 06:41 AM
alundeb
• • • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Question on White Balance when shooting Raw.

Peter Figen wrote:
It does seem that extremes in WB setting in the camera while shooting raw can have a noticeably affect on exposure. As long as you're in the ballpark for your WB, it's not an issue but it can be and the far extremes of what you can actually set. But, like most other things in digital photography it's easy enough to test your own shooting conditions and see how it works for you.

In other words, metering is affected by camera settings?

Nov 03, 2017 at 09:13 AM
John Caldwell
• • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Question on White Balance when shooting Raw.

The point is not that camera WB impacts the raw file. The point is that all in-camera settings, including WB, directly affect the way the camera renders the jpg displayed on the camera's LCD, and the histography displayed for that jpg. That is true where the photographers chooses to show RBG histograms, or simply gray "exposure" histogram (which is the green channel of the RGB.)

To that end, those jpg and histogram displays often influence how the photographer chooses exposure.

Nov 03, 2017 at 10:53 AM
Vancouver47
• • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Question on White Balance when shooting Raw.

I will normally shoot around 5500Kelvin when shooting aircraft. AWB produces a whole variety of sky colours where shooting 5500 Kelvin produces a consistent sky from shot to shot.

I use DPP to convert RAW to TIFFs because Lr does some weird things. Lr will automatically adjust to 5300K or 5700K depending where the sun is located, even when I shot at 5500K. Lr also automatically adjusts tint. Go figure??

Edited on Nov 04, 2017 at 05:59 PM · View previous versions

Nov 03, 2017 at 11:57 AM
lighthound
• • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Question on White Balance when shooting Raw.

I shoot raw only and just keep it on AWB. For nearly 100% of my images regardless if they are wildlife, landscapes or cute little white puppy dogs, I always have to make WB adjustments. I often have to selectively adjust different areas from others depending on the lighting. WB issues are my biggest nemesis in photography to the point I have thought about walking away from this hobby completely. It's just so time consuming trying to get it right. And going full mono is not an appealing option to me.

Interesting thread!

Nov 03, 2017 at 01:52 PM
IndyFab
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Question on White Balance when shooting Raw.

stanj wrote:
What race was he? You sure it wasn't exposure? Your skin is some sort of orange, which would skew the value quite badly.

Excellent questions Stan,, I never really gave it much thought or tried it..

Nov 03, 2017 at 02:30 PM
Mike_5D
• •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Question on White Balance when shooting Raw.

stanj wrote:

Yeah, that's definitely an old exposure trick, not white balance.

Nov 03, 2017 at 02:38 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Scott Stoness
• • • • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Question on White Balance when shooting Raw.

John Caldwell wrote:
The point is not that camera WB impacts the raw file. The point is that all in-camera settings, including WB, directly affect the way the camera renders the jpg displayed on the camera's LCD, and the histography displayed for that jpg. That is true where the photographers chooses to show RBG histograms, or simply gray "exposure" histogram (which is the green channel of the RGB.)

To that end, those jpg and histogram displays often influence how the photographer chooses exposure.

Agreed but its kind of random whether if your fix the WB to one setting (say daytime) whether this will improve your histogram/exposure since sometimes it will (when its day time in the above example) and sometimes it may not (when its night time in the above example)..

You are right but practically your best approach would be to recognize that the histogram is displaying green and that red can still be blown out and sometimes the raw has more dynamic range than shown in the histogram, so you can take a chance in having blinkies near the sun to reduce noise in the shadows.

Given all the other things I am balancing in taking pictures (composition, exposure, filters, changing scene) I used AEB with 3 exposures mostly for landscape and fix my white balance and check to make sure I am not really blowing my whites out on the nuertral exposure so that the higher and lower exposure can be used in blending to solve the exposure mistake.

Nov 03, 2017 at 09:44 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Question on White Balance when shooting Raw.

Mike_5D wrote:
Yeah, that's definitely an old exposure trick, not white balance.

I had a chinese photographer in Trinidad tell me the same ... except he had to adjust 3 stops for his skin color.
The point being that you typically have your hand with you (and that skin tones vary, so you have to do your own testing to establish how close / far your skin tonal value is from your meter reading value).

Nov 04, 2017 at 01:15 AM
Liquidstone
• • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Question on White Balance when shooting Raw.

Being color-blind, my choice is simple - I just shoot stills in AWB/RAW, then later during conversion ask my "color consultant" (my better half, actually) which WB looks best.

It's trickier when shooting video, though. I use AWB when shooting in direct sunlight. When in the shade or during overcast days, I manually set the color temp to 5000 - 5500. In both cases, I only need minimal WB correction during grading (done under the supervision of my color consultant).

Nov 04, 2017 at 03:40 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Question on White Balance when shooting Raw.

Liquidstone wrote:

When in the shade or during overcast days, I manually set the color temp to 5000 - 5500..

If you are in known shade / overcast lighting ... why do you manually set for daylight temps instead of something cooler than daylight (i.e. 6000, 6500, 7000, etc.)? Since 6500 is neutral to D65, I tend to manually set WB there for the "could go either way" ambient situations.

Of course, it depends if your agenda is to capture your subject neutrally, or if you are trying to capture / present the color of the lighting, or if you are trying to impart a mood. Matching our WB setting (in camera or post) to the color of our light, provides the most opportunity for rendering our subjects color with the least amount of unmatched WB, cast influence.

Alternatively, some folks have preferences for their images to be warmer or cooler (to taste / mood) and an offset WB can push / pull things to taste also. The (usual) challenge / purpose for matching WB is to adjust color casts that detracts from your image. It can also be a very useful tool for inducing a non-neutral vibe creatively.

Nov 04, 2017 at 11:26 AM
Liquidstone
• • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Question on White Balance when shooting Raw.

RustyBug wrote:
If you are in known shade / overcast lighting ... why do you manually set for daylight temps instead of something cooler than daylight (i.e. 6000, 6500, 7000, etc.)? Since 6500 is neutral to D65, I tend to manually set WB there for the "could go either way" ambient situations.

I always find that when I use the camera-recommended 6500 during cloudy days, the image becomes too warm for my taste.

Nov 04, 2017 at 10:12 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Question on White Balance when shooting Raw.

Liquidstone wrote:
I always find that when I use the camera-recommended 6500 during cloudy days, the image becomes too warm for my taste.

As always, S&P to taste. Gotcha.

Nov 05, 2017 at 01:11 AM
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password