New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Canon 85/1.4L Discussion Thread - Samples Up

johnctharp
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Canon 85/1.4L Discussion Thread - Samples Up

DPReview has posted their samples of the 85/1.4L IS USM.

Rendering, CA control, acuity, and sunstars all look good in the jpegs.

Sony 85/1.4GM shooters: how does the new Canon compare?

Nov 02, 2017 at 03:18 AM
philip_pj
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Canon 85/1.4L Discussion Thread - Samples Up

It'll probably please the faithful, although the comments at DPR are not encouraging.

Pre-release images seldom excite, and maybe they had poor light each session. In image #26 some cruel person painted two thick parallel lines across the roadway - one magenta, the other green. At 100% it has some serious levels of CA. Most images are stopped down, very few f1.4 shots and several of those have heavy CA. Looks like they made a conscious decision to do it this way. A lot of this is shot in flat or slanting light. Of course everyone will want to see wide open IQ. The plane image (#44) is f2 and you can see the aircraft sits on a body of magenta and green water, even at fit to screen size. Edges of the plane are glowing hot with CA.

Sony users won't be thrilled by the weight - this 14/11 behemoth is 950 grams, then add the adapter for ~1100 grams. Sony's GM is 820 grams. Size is much the same story, then add the adapter to that. And we can't expect GM/Loxia/Batis levels of performance here. Canon will be happy to see off the inroads Sigma has made to their sales figures.

And it has an air sphere, so there's that. They are trying to amp up their IS effectiveness too, but more complexity and weight from that source. You wonder how this will last over the long term, but IBIS is out for Canon, as I understand it. Too bad for their base, it will only get better in Sony bodies.

Nov 02, 2017 at 04:43 AM
johnctharp
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Canon 85/1.4L Discussion Thread - Samples Up

Yeah; none of these AF 85/1.4 lenses- this new Canon, the new Sony GM, the Sigma Art- have great longitudinal CA correction, and instead emphasize rendering (to various tastes).

Only the Zeiss Milvus and Otus APO really do a better job in terms of longitudinal CA correction at this speed and focal length.

So the question changes from 'is there CA?' to 'can I live with the CA?'; in the case of all of the above AF lenses, I'd say yes, but I know others may have different priorities.

Nov 02, 2017 at 05:41 AM
Photonadave
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Canon 85/1.4L Discussion Thread - Samples Up

philip_pj wrote:
"In image #26 some cruel person painted two thick parallel lines across the roadway - one magenta, the other green."

I think the color banding may be caused by the ground being wet with thin-film interference color banding from a thin layer of oil.

See here.

On second thought, upon close-up viewing of the downloaded full size version, it appears to be longitudinal CA.

Edited on Nov 02, 2017 at 06:02 AM · View previous versions

Nov 02, 2017 at 05:56 AM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Canon 85/1.4L Discussion Thread - Samples Up

From those shots I am sure many photographers will go on to shoot brilliant work with it.

Image #26 is pretty nasty though.

Nov 02, 2017 at 06:02 AM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Canon 85/1.4L Discussion Thread - Samples Up

Photonadave wrote:
I think the color banding may be caused by the ground being wet with thin-film interference color banding from a thin layer of oil.

See here.

On second thought, upon close-up viewing of the downloaded full size version, it appears to be longitudinal CA.

So spherochromatism?

Nov 02, 2017 at 06:06 AM
Photonadave
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Canon 85/1.4L Discussion Thread - Samples Up

Paul Mo wrote:
So spherochromatism?

Yes and more specifically longitudinal CA is a type of spherochromatism.
See here.

Nov 02, 2017 at 06:15 AM
johnctharp
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Canon 85/1.4L Discussion Thread - Samples Up

That one (maybe this link works) popped out, and on the first look it looked like the CA was more due to the ground oils and not on the plane of focus- but on closer inspection it does look like the CA is around the plane of focus.

Still, looking at other shots, it doesn't pop out that often; and certainly seems better than previous generation fast 85's (85L, 85/1.4G, A-mount 85/1.4, Sigma 85/1.4 EX, etc.) as well as most current-gen 85/1.8 lenses. We'd have to see direct comparisons with the 85/1.4 GM and 85/1.4 | Art to determine if the 85/1.4L IS has more or less CA than average.

Nov 02, 2017 at 06:26 AM
arduluth
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Canon 85/1.4L Discussion Thread - Samples Up

Wow, the LoCA in #26 is pretty wild. Surprised it's still that bad at f/2. Keep in mind, a shot like this is admittedly a torture test. But yikes.

Nov 02, 2017 at 04:04 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

mb126
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Canon 85/1.4L Discussion Thread - Samples Up

#26 is pretty wild but without shooting with the lens personally it would be hard to say this lens will have terrible CA (would be downright amazing if it was worse than the current 85L).

I am guessing this lens delivers 95% of the performance of the 85L/85 Art with lots of practical upgrades. In my book that will make it a huge winner. The 135L/200L are always there if you need perfect bokeh. I view the 85 FL as more of a reportage/PJ focal length for weddings and so I'm not worried if the drawing isn't perfect if it gets me the shot every time.

I will post a 85L/85Art/85L-IS comparison when mine arrives (I have 85 Art and my assistant has 85L)!

Nov 02, 2017 at 04:20 PM
evertdoorn
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Canon 85/1.4L Discussion Thread - Samples Up

there we go, the real relevant test: a shot of my cat

f/1.6 @ 1/250 @ iso 800, basic camera raw preset and sharpening

Nov 02, 2017 at 04:29 PM
cameron12x
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Canon 85/1.4L Discussion Thread - Samples Up

Nice. What body and focus settings did you use?

Nov 02, 2017 at 04:35 PM
evertdoorn
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Canon 85/1.4L Discussion Thread - Samples Up

5D4, single shot in single focus point mode

Nov 02, 2017 at 04:51 PM
cameron12x
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Canon 85/1.4L Discussion Thread - Samples Up

Focus point just below the center of the eye?

Can you provide some IS examples at slow shutter speeds? TIA.

Nov 02, 2017 at 04:55 PM
evertdoorn
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Canon 85/1.4L Discussion Thread - Samples Up

yeah that's what I was aiming for, although I also have some shots that were off due to my movement (1.6 is still very shallow). Will make some IS samples but it might be tomorrow

Nov 02, 2017 at 05:03 PM
Holger
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Canon 85/1.4L Discussion Thread - Samples Up

philip_pj wrote:
It'll probably please the faithful, although the comments at DPR are not encouraging.

Pre-release images seldom excite, and maybe they had poor light each session. In image #26 some cruel person painted two thick parallel lines across the roadway - one magenta, the other green. At 100% it has some serious levels of CA. Most images are stopped down, very few f1.4 shots and several of those have heavy CA. Looks like they made a conscious decision to do it this way. A lot of this is shot in flat or slanting light. Of course everyone will want to see
...Show more

I have seen such CAs with the GM and Sigma Art alike, which we both use. The Sony might be a hair better, but not by much. What I see is easily comparable to what I am used to with the aforementioned lenses, so nothing unexpected when not using BR elements to avoid an additional price increase. 90g more is nothing I would care about, esp. after using the Sigma a lot, I would pay the price in additional weight for the IS for sure.

Nov 02, 2017 at 10:49 PM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Canon 85/1.4L Discussion Thread - Samples Up

All the non APO 85mm's suffer CA like this. Sigma Art is no better than the older Sigma EX and is stupidly heavy and large and lacks IS. All these lenses are sharp enough, other qualities are just as important. The background rendering of the Canon looks nice and with a better profile than ACR's crappy Adobe standard would have a lot better pop.

Looks pretty good considering the dpreview sample galleries are never that interesting. To me at least IS is a must.

Nov 03, 2017 at 01:21 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password