New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2017 · Nikon 1 Cameras

Unclejoe1116
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Nikon 1 Cameras

So I picked up a Nikon J3 the other day for fun. I'm looking to flip it pretty quick, and get the J5... Does anyone else shoot Nikon 1 cameras? Seems pretty... cheap? The lenses are definitely not what I've come to expect, especially when compared to my 70-200... I guess I gotta get the adapter.

Best lens suggestions? I've got a 10-30, 30-110, and a 10mm.

Side-note: I originally got interested in them because of the cheaper underwater cases. Has anyone had any experience with these? A decent-sized sensor, interchangeable lenses, and underwater housing seemed to fit a nice niche market.

Nov 01, 2017 at 10:01 PM
ytwong
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Nikon 1 Cameras

Personally I'm more interested in a UWA zoom (6.7mm- ??), since that should be the smallest system with UWA. It isn't that difficult to find a 1" camera with longish lens.

Nov 01, 2017 at 11:07 PM
NightOwl Cat
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Nikon 1 Cameras

Here's a whole thread devoted to images from the Nikon 1 series

Official Nikon 1 thread
https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1298027/

Nov 02, 2017 at 06:32 AM
Norm Shapiro
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Nikon 1 Cameras

I would agree that the lenses are inexpensive mostly, but they still produce quality work. I've gone to V3 bodies and mostly Nikon1 lenses in my professional work (I shoot TV shows). For several years I had been using blimped Nikon DSLR cameras and lenses. The Nikon 1 cameras on electronic shutter are so quiet I cannot hear them. And they shoot 20 frames per second and on large jpeg setting I've never filled up the buffer. I've got multiple copies of most Nikon1 lenses and have yet to come across a bad one. I also use the FT-1 with some of my larger lenses, primarily a 50mm f1.8G and 24/120 f/4. Plus the whole system is so small I can easily squeeze in between the huge cameras the film crews are using.

My work is used in papers, magazines, and on-line and there for the small sensor is fine.

They are not the perfect camera, and I don't think one will ever be made, but for my work they are fine.

It will be interesting to see how the new Nikon FF mirrorless compares. What I miss on the Nikon1 V3 is dual card slots and 3D focus tracking.

Nov 02, 2017 at 03:24 PM
Darrin M
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Nikon 1 Cameras

I joined the Nikon 1 club for the 70-300mm CX lens (810mm equiv. in a relatively compact, lightweight and optically very good lens) and the promise of a CX macro lens which never materialized.

I now own a J5 which has a very good 1” sensor (arguably the best of all Nikon 1 cameras) but is not a great match to the 70-300 CX due to the lack of a viewfinder.

IMO all signs now point to the Nikon 1 being a dead end, with no new cameras or CX lenses released in the last couple of years, and nothing on the horizon.

That being said, I will continue to happily use my J5 until it breaks.

Nov 02, 2017 at 07:30 PM
Unclejoe1116
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Nikon 1 Cameras

Darrin M wrote:
IMO all signs now point to the Nikon 1 being a dead end, with no new cameras or CX lenses released in the last couple of years, and nothing on the horizon.

I would agree with this. I think they've moved all their focus to the (hopefully) upcoming mirrorless camera. But, that means I can score a lot of equipment for not a lot... Got my current setup for $125, plus another $25 for a battery. Got a line on a J5 for $225. I'll probably try to find a V3 as well, and run with the J5 and V3.

I'm thinking a J5, lens adapter, TC-20III, and my 70-200 VRII. You're looking at 1080mm equivalent, for an extra $500, maybe?

Nov 02, 2017 at 09:15 PM
Darrin M
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Nikon 1 Cameras

Unclejoe1116 wrote:
I would agree with this. I think they've moved all their focus to the (hopefully) upcoming mirrorless camera. But, that means I can score a lot of equipment for not a lot... Got my current setup for $125, plus another $25 for a battery. Got a line on a J5 for $225. I'll probably try to find a V3 as well, and run with the J5 and V3.

I'm thinking a J5, lens adapter, TC-20III, and my 70-200 VRII. You're looking at 1080mm equivalent, for an extra $500, maybe?

That looks like a great deal!

I’m only using the J5 with CX lenses, so I’m not sure how well that combination works.

Nov 03, 2017 at 05:54 AM
amlsml
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Nikon 1 Cameras

my 70-300 CX is on my V2 all the time. I use as a lightweight beach camera to shoot my kids surfing, and fooling around. It is a very capable set up. I also own a D4s and D500 and a 600 f4. Having 810 FL and the ability to mount all my nikon glass makes this little wonder a very versatile camera. The water housings work great, they are super cheap, and if you have an issue , you didn't soak your expensive camera. I love mine.

Nov 03, 2017 at 07:06 AM
Norm Shapiro
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Nikon 1 Cameras

One problem with thr FT-1 adapter is the focus point, and only 1, is fixed in the center. Making the native lenses better choices. I also have the 70-300 and it is incredible!

Nov 03, 2017 at 02:49 PM
Norm Shapiro
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Nikon 1 Cameras

Also, I started in with the V1 body in the Nikon1 system. I liked how small and compact and no add-on EFV and Grip. But V3 bodies are so much easier to work with, tilting screen, AF-ON for back button focusing. Touch screen, built in wi-fi, etc

Nov 03, 2017 at 02:53 PM
BlueBomberTurbo
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Nikon 1 Cameras

Norm Shapiro wrote:
One problem with thr FT-1 adapter is the focus point, and only 1, is fixed in the center. Making the native lenses better choices. I also have the 70-300 and it is incredible!

Other problem with the FT-1 and J5 is that the center "point" is actually comprised of three horizontally aligned focus points. It's not just one big focusing box. I had a hell of a time using long lenses for things like birding and surfing because of this. If all three focus points aren't on the subject, there's a chance the one that's not will be chosen to focus with, even if it doesn't make sense to (2 > 1). This caused many missed shots and lots of aggravation. Sold the camera because of this and got the Sigma 150-600 C + 1.4x TC instead. Problem solved.

Nov 04, 2017 at 05:25 AM
Unclejoe1116
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Nikon 1 Cameras

Thanks for the replies guys! I'll definitely take a look at the CX 70-300. From my brief experiences with it, I think I'll enjoy the 10mm f/2.8 the most, just as a walk-around camera. (Also, this will make a great starter for my kids once they get old enough)

I primarily use my D750 and 70-200VRII for most everything, but this seemed like an inexpensive way to try out some new equipment. Hoping to have the converter in the next few weeks, and I'll post a few samples!

Nov 06, 2017 at 09:40 AM
DGC1
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Nikon 1 Cameras

Picked up a 1V1 a couple of years ago along with the 10-30 and 30-110. Use it when I am doing family events and video. Got the 70-300 and sold it because although it's an excellent lens, suddenly my little camera was a big camera therefore defeating the purpose. Get the adapter as it's fun to put a 2.7X crop body on a 500mm lens.

Nov 06, 2017 at 09:47 AM
steve807
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Nikon 1 Cameras

Lots of good Nikon 1 examples and info

http://tomstirrphotography.com/

Nov 07, 2017 at 11:48 PM
zoetmb
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Nikon 1 Cameras

One thing I noticed today is that B&H is out of stock on the V3 and the AW1 and expected availability isn't until March of 2018. Four freaking months!! Nikon consistently leaves money on the table because of their poor inventory management.

Nov 08, 2017 at 12:14 AM
Crashton
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Nikon 1 Cameras

To be honest I think that Nikon will not replenish any stock as far as the Nikon 1 cameras & lenses go. When they're gone they're gone.

I hope my Nikon 1 cameras & lenses work for many more years. They still do what I need.

Nov 10, 2017 at 03:33 PM
Anthony280ZX

p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Nikon 1 Cameras

I bought a V1 back in 2013 and use it all the time for quick shots, taking on cruises, and for the video. Then the rear screen stopped coming son - I tried cleaning the small sensor beside the viewfinder, and that didn't help. I debated whether to just get rid of the two lenses and flash unit I had for it, but I liked the camera so much I picked up a mint used one from Roberts a few weeks ago. The camera has some quirks (the mode dial that turns to easy), but I like it overall.

Nov 12, 2017 at 07:20 PM
Betacamman
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Nikon 1 Cameras

When I had the V2, I used the plastic and light 55-300mm with the FT-1. Since it was only taking the center of the lens, sharpness was fine for my purposes, and while the combo was bulky, it wasn't heavy.

Nov 12, 2017 at 08:17 PM
Unclejoe1116
• •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Nikon 1 Cameras

So I was able to pick up a J5 for $230, so that's probably what I'll use for a bit as my "car camera." (Not crazy about leaving my D750 in the car, due to theft, heat, etc.)

Definitely looking to get an FT-1, but $270 seems like an awful lot for something that doesn't have any glass!

Just based on my few minutes playing around with both of them, the J5 represents a much more refined and balanced approach. The addition of the scroll wheel is phenomenal, and the touchscreen is pretty cool for picking focus points. That, and because I have a D750, the tilt-screen is a must-have. Definitely has a lot of focus hunting in low-light situations, which is exactly what I expected.

I'm taking a small road-trip next week, so I may mount the J5 on the dash to do a time-lapse. The guy I bought it from threw in two 64GB cards with the camera, so I definitely lucked out with this deal!

Nov 13, 2017 at 01:16 PM
Darrin M
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Nikon 1 Cameras

Congrats on your purchase - have fun!

Nov 14, 2017 at 08:24 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.