New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

A6000 image problem

grog13
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · A6000 image problem

This photo is a crop illustrating a problem I seem to see a lot on photos from my A6000. Occurs whenever foliage, branches, or other small detail is juxtaposed to a bright sky. Not CA, but occurs in similar circumstances. It's made much worse by any adjustments, particularly noticeable in B&W conversions. In this case I pulled down highlights a good bit and raised saturation & lowered luminance on blue. I don't see this on photos from other cameras I've had in the past, but they've all been less pixel-dense than this. Is this a result of Sony's raw file compression, or something that goes along with high pixel density, or something else? Any processing solution?

Nov 02, 2017 at 02:24 AM
BlueBomberTurbo
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · A6000 image problem

Are you talking about the general nervousness of the image, or the white outlines on the orange/red leaves? Either way, not a fault of the camera.

If it's the first suggestion, looks either out of focus, or an area grabbed from the corner of an image shot with the lens too wide open, or with just poor corners.

If it's from the second suggestion, looks like overaggressive CA removal. It can sometimes pick up false positives on red/orange bordering blue.

Nov 02, 2017 at 12:47 PM
Duckysaysquack
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · A6000 image problem

Can you post an unedited photo? Looks like over-sharpening in post.

Nov 02, 2017 at 02:34 PM
grog13
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · A6000 image problem

BlueBomberTurbo wrote:
Are you talking about the general nervousness of the image, or the white outlines on the orange/red leaves? Either way, not a fault of the camera.

If it's the first suggestion, looks either out of focus, or an area grabbed from the corner of an image shot with the lens too wide open, or with just poor corners.

If it's from the second suggestion, looks like overaggressive CA removal. It can sometimes pick up false positives on red/orange bordering blue.

The white outlines are what I'm looking at. Don't think it's a focus error, and while the corners I get from this lens (S/Z 16-70) aren't perfect, they aren't this bad. And it wasn't wide open - shot at f/8. I thought about the CA removal, but even with that reduced (or turned off altogether) it still shows. With no editing at all, no exposure or tone adjustments, it shows up slightly. Really blooms when bright tones are pulled down.

Nov 02, 2017 at 02:45 PM
arduluth
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · A6000 image problem

What lens?

Looks a lot like funky processing to me, but it's hard to say given the sample.

Nov 02, 2017 at 02:45 PM
BlueBomberTurbo
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · A6000 image problem

grog13 wrote:
The white outlines are what I'm looking at. Don't think it's a focus error, and while the corners I get from this lens (S/Z 16-70) aren't perfect, they aren't this bad. And it wasn't wide open - shot at f/8. I thought about the CA removal, but even with that reduced (or turned off altogether) it still shows. With no editing at all, no exposure or tone adjustments, it shows up slightly. Really blooms when bright tones are pulled down.

What are your in-camera settings? Some people have tested things like in-camera CA and vignetting removal actually affect the RAW. Make sure these are turned off.

Nov 02, 2017 at 02:47 PM
grog13
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · A6000 image problem

Duckysaysquack wrote:
Can you post an unedited photo? Looks like over-sharpening in post.

I could post the same crop unedited this evening - the full photo wouldn't show it at the maximum postable size. As for over-sharpening, I'll look at that again, but I don't think I sharpened that much beyond Lightroom default (don't have it in front of me now, but I think amount slider was about 35, radius 1.2, detail 65, and most of the sky area masked off).

Nov 02, 2017 at 02:52 PM
mcbroomf
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · A6000 image problem

Can you put the raw file in dropbox?

There's a green outline on the left of some branches and some branches seems to be doubled. It almost looks like a CA correction gone very wrong with the green channel shifted way over. Can you check all of the lens corrections settings to make sure they are correct, and maybe turn them off. Do you have lens correction on in the camera?

Mike

Nov 02, 2017 at 04:59 PM
grog13
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · A6000 image problem

Lens is the 16-70 f/4. No lens profile corrections in LR and no in-camera lens corrections, unless I accidentally turned them on somehow while stumbling around the menus - guess that's possible, I'll have to check.....

Nov 02, 2017 at 06:32 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

grog13
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · A6000 image problem

Thanks for all the feedback so far. Here are two more versions, the first unedited, the second with only a CA correction. As you can see, the sky, while not burned out, was way overexposed, and the junk seen in the edited photo was obviously a product of the adjustments to the sky (highlights, blue saturation & luminance). You could say I just need to learn to properly expose, but of course, then the question is expose for what. It occurs to me now that perhaps the reason I haven't seen this issue with previous cameras I've had is that they didn't have nearly as workable files and I tended to expose for highlights (which of course gave me noisy shadows to deal with). Since this camera gives me so much highlight recovery I tend to expose to the right more - generally a good thing to do, but maybe not when dealing with light skies?

Nov 03, 2017 at 02:37 AM
Duckysaysquack
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · A6000 image problem

grog13 wrote:
Thanks for all the feedback so far. Here are two more versions, the first unedited, the second with only a CA correction. As you can see, the sky, while not burned out, was way overexposed, and the junk seen in the edited photo was obviously a product of the adjustments to the sky (highlights, blue saturation & luminance). You could say I just need to learn to properly expose, but of course, then the question is expose for what. It occurs to me now that perhaps the reason I haven't seen this issue with previous cameras I've had is that
...Show more

I am not sure if the A6000 has this feature, but I believe the A7 camera has the option to shoot with a histogram via EVF or on the rear LCD. You can try using that to avoid blowing out highlights.

Nov 06, 2017 at 08:31 PM
grog13
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · A6000 image problem

Duckysaysquack wrote:
I am not sure if the A6000 has this feature, but I believe the A7 camera has the option to shoot with a histogram via EVF or on the rear LCD. You can try using that to avoid blowing out highlights.

Yes, I do use the histogram as well as the zebras. As noted, the highlights in this photo aren't blown out, just too bright, and pulling them down seems to result in the edge ugliness here. I guess the choice is underexposing and raising shadows. That's okay from a noise standpoint at low ISO, just results in low contrast and dull colors - guess I can learn to adjust that.

Nov 07, 2017 at 01:42 PM
BlueBomberTurbo
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · A6000 image problem

Can you upload the RAW? From my experience, the only way to overexpose too much is to fully clip the signal. The clouds would turn white much sooner than any highlights on a branch. Even the sky could give up first and go cyan.

Nov 07, 2017 at 01:48 PM
grog13
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · A6000 image problem

BlueBomberTurbo wrote:
Can you upload the RAW? From my experience, the only way to overexpose too much is to fully clip the signal. The clouds would turn white much sooner than any highlights on a branch. Even the sky could give up first and go cyan.

I'll gladly send you the raw file via We Transfer that you linked to. PM me your email address if you want. (I'd post it on my Smugmug page, but they don't play with raws).

Nov 09, 2017 at 01:30 AM
BlueBomberTurbo
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · A6000 image problem

Figured out the issue. You were trying to make the sky too blue, probably by lowering the luminance on blue. The exact same thing popped up when I did the same. It would stick around even if I tried to lower all of the other colors the same amount to compensate. The sky most likely wasn't that blue (looks partly cloudy/hazy), so trying to skew things that far caused the posterization you see.

Nov 10, 2017 at 02:34 PM
grog13
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · A6000 image problem

BlueBomberTurbo wrote:
Figured out the issue. You were trying to make the sky too blue, probably by lowering the luminance on blue. The exact same thing popped up when I did the same. It would stick around even if I tried to lower all of the other colors the same amount to compensate. The sky most likely wasn't that blue (looks partly cloudy/hazy), so trying to skew things that far caused the posterization you see.

Yes, I'm sure that's the problem. I wasn't really thinking about "how blue" the sky was, just trying to get sufficient contrast to give good definition to the clouds. Guess I can't push it that far.

Nov 11, 2017 at 02:01 AM
BlueBomberTurbo
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · A6000 image problem

Try the Adjustment Brush or Graduated Filter with Clarity and Dehaze, and Shadows and Blacks adjusted to keep the trees looking normal.

Nov 11, 2017 at 02:35 AM

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password