New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2017 · Nikon support for D-90

Journeyislong

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Nikon support for D-90

I did try a search and I've contacted Nikon but may get an answer faster here. Will Nikon continue support for the D-90, or is that already past history? Obviously, I've had to tend to other things for quite some time using the camera sparingly. I'd always wanted to replace that 18-55 f.3.5 - 5.6G kit lens it came with, never happy with it. (The VR IF ED 70 -300 F4.5 - 5.6G, on the other hand, has always been the better lens to me and the go to for important shots) But things would always get in the way and it had to take a back seat. I had a recent discussion about the D-90 and if it would be repairable should the need arise. I know it's old technology now and better cameras are out there, but I'm not a pro, just someone who had a lot of fun back in film days and finds point-and-shoot cameras too limiting.

Thanks

Nov 01, 2017 at 01:07 PM
Blakehfreeman
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Nikon support for D-90

Even if it was, repairs if major are typically a couple hundred or more... and you could likely get a better body with what the repair alone would cost. Just my view.

Journeyislong wrote:
I did try a search and I've contacted Nikon but may get an answer faster here. Will Nikon continue support for the D-90, or is that already past history? Obviously, I've had to tend to other things for quite some time using the camera sparingly. I'd always wanted to replace that 18-55 f.3.5 - 5.6G kit lens it came with, never happy with it. (The VR IF ED 70 -300 F4.5 - 5.6G, on the other hand, has always been the better lens to me and the go to for important shots) But things would always get in the way
...Show more

Nov 01, 2017 at 01:11 PM
Journeyislong

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Nikon support for D-90

Thanks, this is the kind of input I need. I've never had to have anything repaired. (Knock on wood)

I'm beginning the process of going through old stuff that should have gone out the door a long time ago but moving and other issues took precedence, over and over. So I'm also looking at options.

Then analysis paralysis creeps in....

I've done the Rockwell, Hogan, and other reads and if I were sane, I'd should probably reconfigure and go with the 3300. But that camera does not fit my hand. Sigh....

Nov 01, 2017 at 02:15 PM
tntcorp
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Nikon support for D-90

why worry if canmera remains functional? if you don't foresee switching brand and want to future-proof, buy full frame glasses. otherwise, get the lens best suited to your budget..

p.s. my 12+ yrs old camera stills give great pics and remain reliable..

Nov 01, 2017 at 02:25 PM
kap55

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Nikon support for D-90

If the D90 feels comfortable in your hands then keep your eyes open for a used 7100 (or 7200). It's a couple of generations newer and handles noise much better.

As has already been stated, having work done on the D90 really won't be cost effective.

Nov 01, 2017 at 03:17 PM
Unclejoe1116
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Nikon support for D-90

I have a D90, and I'm still holding on to it. Wonderful camera, and a real classic in a few years.

If you're looking to upgrade, the D750 is a fantastic option. That's my latest acquisition, and it feels just how it should. Grip is slightly deeper than the D90, and just barely heavier. Oh yeah, and you get full-frame.

You're not likely to get more than $2-300 for it, and repairs would almost definitely cost more than that. If you want to stay on the DX body size, the D7100 or D7200 is a great choice. Almost identical to the D90, just a little more professional control options when compared to the D90.

Nov 01, 2017 at 09:44 PM
Journeyislong

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Nikon support for D-90

Thanks everybody. I'm contemplating several alternatives so the input is appreciated. From keeping the D-90 and replacing lens, to upgrading to, say, 7200. Except I should never have looked at images from the D-500 They draw me in for some reason. I can only shoot so many landscapes, etc., that's just me. I remember a great time I had with my film camera at a three-day event. Horses running, jumping and balking at the water drop. Which reminded me of a frustration I have with the D-90- action. Most likely my lack of abilities.

This is an odd question to ask but for my way of understanding, perhaps helpful. If I were using a 7200 alongside a 500, in manual zoom/focus mode, and my skills were stellar and exactly the same for both, would the 7200 produce an image like the 500? Is it a matter of the focus points? I know that flies in the face of what the D500 will do so why even ask, but it might help.

I was fair at following action in manual mode with my film camera. And while things can be cleaned up later, that's not my question here. Just the shots, side by side.

There should be rationalizing filters....

Nov 02, 2017 at 12:50 PM
90 5.0
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Nikon support for D-90

Interesting , what film camera where you using before?

I don’t have a d90 but I still have and sometimes use my d80 I got new when it came out to replace my n75 and f4 with.

The only thing I found limiting on my 80 for the type of shooting you are talking about isndrive speed with af-d lenses compared to the 4. And still loved the iso change ability more any way.

If it were me, I’d buy some new glass and shoot the d90 until it dies

Nov 02, 2017 at 01:15 PM
kap55

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Nikon support for D-90

Journeyislong wrote:
This is an odd question to ask but for my way of understanding, perhaps helpful. If I were using a 7200 alongside a 500, in manual zoom/focus mode, and my skills were stellar and exactly the same for both, would the 7200 produce an image like the 500? Is it a matter of the focus points? I know that flies in the face of what the D500 will do so why even ask, but it might help.

There should be rationalizing filters....

You should be able to shoot outstanding images with the 7200. Don't forget it's a 24 MP sensor and the D500 is 20MP. I use a D500 and to me the biggest advantages over the 7200 are the near continuous 10 fps and the autofocus. Those two features allow you to capture a lot images that you might miss with the 7200, but it doesn't mean that it will produce better looking images.

Nov 02, 2017 at 01:38 PM
Journeyislong

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Nikon support for D-90

To answer 90 5.0 on previous camera:

A Konica FS-1
I had borrowed a friend's for a trip and loved, it, knew I wanted shutter priority, and although smaller than the D-90, had that battery case. So holding it was no problem. Not a pro camera, of course, but a lot of fun for me.

Konica Hexanon AR 50mm F 1.4 (Automatic)
Tamron 80-210mm F/3.8-4 CF Tele-macro Zoom, Adaptall-2 Mount system

I picked out the 50mm lens, wasn't going to settle for the kit. The Tamron was a surprise gift from my spouse. So, yeah, hard to beat 1.4

I would have been using the Tamron for any action. ASA 400 was my film of choice. Never liked 100 or 200 because they always looked too saturated for my taste.

The camera began not advancing film and was sent in twice for repairs with no luck. I was told by someone who deals in these cameras that the FS-1 was known for that. End of my first foray into photography but I used it a lot. Long spell before the D-90.

I guess the better question would be, if you put a 7200 and 500 shot side by side, manual focus/zoom, would there be a difference in the shot? I see more clarity or sharpness in the 500 shots. But, is that a matter of the auto focus system of one camera vs another? What is it I think I'm seeing?

Manual: I have a little background in studio cameras and in the day, you'd have to follow the action, roll focus, etc. So I'm not uncomfortable going there. And sometimes it's just fun to try.

Not even academic, I suppose, but it's helping me analyze so thanks.

Nov 03, 2017 at 12:58 AM
kap55

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Nikon support for D-90

Journeyislong wrote:
I guess the better question would be, if you put a 7200 and 500 shot side by side, manual focus/zoom, would there be a difference in the shot? I see more clarity or sharpness in the 500 shots. But, is that a matter of the auto focus system of one camera vs another? What is it I think I'm seeing?

Do you have a link to the photos you are referring to? Are you referring to the same photo taken by both cameras or are you talking about D500 photos in general vs D7200 photos in general? Increased clarity/sharpness could very well be a result of the raw converter used or any post processing settings.

Nov 03, 2017 at 08:51 AM
90 5.0
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Nikon support for D-90

kap55 wrote:
Do you have a link to the photos you are referring to? Are you referring to the same photo taken by both cameras or are you talking about D500 photos in general vs D7200 photos in general? Increased clarity/sharpness could very well be a result of the raw converter used or any post processing settings.

Also, not always a exact statement but a 500 is more expensive than a 7k body, so image quality on posted photos in general might be better due to more experienced photographers generally using more 500’s than 7k’s.

One of my favorite photos I’ve seen online was a duck in flight, it was super sharp and had great clarity and color.

It was shot with a d40 of all cameras so that generalization isn’t always true. However the lens was a 200 f2, so it’s not like it was a beginner with a d40 and a 55-200 non vr either lol

Nov 03, 2017 at 10:14 AM
kap55

p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Nikon support for D-90

90 5.0 wrote:
Also, not always a exact statement but a 500 is more expensive than a 7k body, so image quality on posted photos in general might be better due to more experienced photographers generally using more 500’s than 7k’s.

One of my favorite photos I’ve seen online was a duck in flight, it was super sharp and had great clarity and color.

It was shot with a d40 of all cameras so that generalization isn’t always true. However the lens was a 200 f2, so it’s not like it was a beginner with a d40 and a 55-200 non vr
...Show more

Very true. Also the lenses used on the two camera bodies must be taken into account.

Nov 03, 2017 at 11:47 AM
runamuck
• • • • • •
[X]
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Nikon support for D-90

The D500 AF is way ahead of the D7xxx series. That is the main reason that made me buy one. The D7100 is now a backup.

Nov 03, 2017 at 01:03 PM
Journeyislong

p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Nikon support for D-90

I am looking at the photos on this site. Realize work was probably done "in post" as they used to say. But camera work couldn't be cleaned up in post so I'm considering what the camera will deliver without touching up.

Same shot with a 7200 and 500. Same setting, same light, same glass/lens. Same ability with manual zoom/focus. Everything the same except the camera. Which would have the most clarity, sharpness, or whatever I think I see- if I'm not the only one seeing it?

What I notice in most photos, which can be variables such as depth of field, is I see pretty quickly where the main focus is while the rest is not quite there. I've been looking mostly at animal/bird shots. Not a criticism, tough, tough to do. Always a trade off. So while I'm typing this, it seems I see less of that on the 500 shots but yes, in the hands of a pro vs. non pro?

I find myself wondering if I'd be back to manual focus/zoom on a 7200 like I was with action on the D-90, would the auto focus be any better/faster- or is it just my quirk to get irritated with auto focus/zoom in action shots? Old dog syndrome....

On the D-90, Nikon finally responded:
"We support the D90 DSLR camera till early 2023. So you have plenty of time too get back into photography."

Question answered so that's not an issue. I don't have to upgrade but I can- just how much. Better glass and a more versatile lens than that kit DX was always a goal, covering territory into but not inclusive of the 70-300 range. You'd call it walk around, I'd call it a lens that lets me take spontaneous shots when I see them, even when running an errand.

So before life intervenes again, I want to upgrade the lens but also consider the camera as well. Now that we know Nikon will support it to 2023, the question that started this is off the table but led to another one. Of course.....

Thanks everyone.

Nov 03, 2017 at 01:56 PM
runamuck
• • • • • •
[X]
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Nikon support for D-90

D500 AF is phenomenal. It seems far more accurate than other cameras. It seems able to squeeze the last bits of sharpness in a lens that other cameras missed. You have the D500 in your head. You can buy a D7XXX but you wil forever question that purchase. I know. Been there, done that.

Nov 03, 2017 at 02:35 PM
sonofjesse2010
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Nikon support for D-90

I wouldn't' worry if it could be repaired or not. So many other cheap bodies you can get that are better now.

Nov 04, 2017 at 10:43 AM
OccAeon
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Nikon support for D-90

Journeyislong wrote:
I am looking at the photos on this site. Realize work was probably done "in post" as they used to say. But camera work couldn't be cleaned up in post so I'm considering what the camera will deliver without touching up.

Same shot with a 7200 and 500. Same setting, same light, same glass/lens. Same ability with manual zoom/focus. Everything the same except the camera. Which would have the most clarity, sharpness, or whatever I think I see- if I'm not the only one seeing it?

In an identical setup, on a tripod, manual focus, etc., the images are going to be identical except that the D7200 will be a tiny bit sharper since it has more megapixels.

The biggest differences between the cameras are things like the controls, the autofocus, and the number of shots per second. The D500 is hugely better on those factors.

Personally, I loved my D90. If I were you, I would start with upgrading my lenses, since that will make a much bigger difference as far as depth of field and sharpness. I'd start with a 35mm f/1.8 DX. That will give you very different pictures than what you get with your kit lenses, and it's cheap.

My philosophy on lenses is that I'd rather have a lens that I know is going to produce an awesome image under the right conditions rather than an all-purpose "walk around" lens that will rarely produce great shots. So I usually use a 50 or 35mm prime on my D810 (which would be 35 or 24mm on a D90) as my "walk around" lens.

If you want a camera upgrade, a D7000 is a good option. You can find a used one for $250-300, and it will be a decent step up from the D90. I wouldn't go for the D7100 because of the low dynamic range.

Nov 06, 2017 at 11:59 AM
Journeyislong

p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Nikon support for D-90

Thanks everybody.

I know I've got the D500 in my head- but my head has to also live with other factors.

A tiny bit sharper for the 7200 on a tripod tell me what I need to know, I think.

I'll be pondering this for while and will have to brush up on depth of field vs focus ability, if that's even what I see. Hard to explain what I'm seeing, but it would be like one camera gets one thing in perfect focus, like the eye of a bird, while the rest of the bird gets marginally out because it's not in the exact same spot at the exact same distance- if that makes any sense. Seems the D500 has the ability to keep more of the animal in focus than just one point, or, just the difference in focus point settings, or in who's holding the camera.

I understand that a prime type lens would give better results than a walk-around. I think I want a little more versatility though, I think.... Doesn't mean it's not an option to have.

Nov 06, 2017 at 09:26 PM
90 5.0
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Nikon support for D-90

If you are looking at two similar photos and one has a sharp eye and less sharp rest of the bird than the other I’d make sure they were shot at the same aperature when comparing.

That sounds like f2.8vs 5.6

Nov 06, 2017 at 10:59 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.