New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Halloween

ben egbert
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Halloween

I was trying to get some halloween shots last night as children came to me door, always with parents who gave me consent to shoot.

This is an unusual venue for me, like to hear what if anything I got right and what I got wrong, also which you prefer.

Canon EOS 5DS R    EF24-70mm f/2.8L II USM lens    33mm    f/4.5    1/200s    100 ISO    0.0 EV  

Canon EOS 5DS R    EF24-70mm f/2.8L II USM lens    31mm    f/4.5    1/200s    100 ISO    0.0 EV  

Canon EOS 5DS R    EF24-70mm f/2.8L II USM lens    27mm    f/4.5    1/200s    100 ISO    0.0 EV  

Nov 01, 2017 at 02:12 PM
eeneryma
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Halloween

ben egbert wrote:
I was trying to get some halloween shots last night as children came to me door, always with parents who gave me consent to shoot.

This is an unusual venue for me, like to hear what if anything I got right and what I got wrong, also which you prefer.

Ben:
These are gorgeous!. Beautifully processed, great expressions. My only suggestion is on the first photo, the boy on the left seems slightly overexposed because he was the closest and had a white reflective face. Maybe use a curves adjust to lower highlights.
There is a street photographer lurking under that landscape exterior.

Steve

Nov 01, 2017 at 02:26 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Halloween

Thanks Steve, yes that first boy is blown out. I did not have a chance to get my settings dialed in until they started coming, this was about my 3rd shot and I was just getting there.

Nov 01, 2017 at 02:30 PM
DaleBerlin
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Halloween

Great shots Ben, glad to see none of the parents shot ya. I was going to suggest removing the bright lights in the background, but after a second look, I think they add to the images.

Nov 01, 2017 at 04:57 PM
lighthound
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Halloween

Nicely done Ben. These all bring a smile to my face.

I had a last minute crazy idea to do something similar but we live in the country and don't get any trick or treaters.
If we did get some visitors, what I was thinking about doing was to set up my tripod and off camera flash. Have it all prefocused with a wide DOF, so as not to miss focus on any of the little spooks.
Then dress up as Beetle juice or some other spook, setting in a chair in the dark and using a remote trigger SNAP just as I scared the daylights out of them.

I would then of course give the parents the option of deleting the images if they objected or buy the one of their little ones for $20.

Hey! I gotta pay for all this gear somehow right!

Nice work Ben! Bet you had a blast doing this.

Dave

Nov 01, 2017 at 06:37 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Halloween

Thanks dave, thats a great idea.

I like in an old folks community and for the first few years we did not get any trick or Treaters, but in the past couple of years it has gone way up. I still had candy left that my wife and I must now eat

Nov 01, 2017 at 06:42 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Halloween

DaleBerlin wrote:
Great shots Ben, glad to see none of the parents shot ya. I was going to suggest removing the bright lights in the background, but after a second look, I think they add to the images.

Thanks Dale, I will probably leave them.

Nov 01, 2017 at 06:43 PM
lighthound
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Halloween

ben egbert wrote:
Thanks dave, thats a great idea.

I like in an old folks community and for the first few years we did not get any trick or Treaters, but in the past couple of years it has gone way up. I still had candy left that my wife and I must now eat

They have learned you old farts got the goods man!

And leftovers are ALWAYS a good thing.

Dave

Nov 01, 2017 at 06:52 PM
Rick Joyce
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Halloween

Great shots, Ben: colourful, dynamic and candidly presented. When the kids came around my place, I let them select mini candy bars from a basket and told each they could have five each.

One little girl said, "I can't count to five"

Nov 01, 2017 at 11:17 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

sbeme
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Halloween

2nd is my favorite in this excellent series, Ben.
First and third feel overly bright for the subject and I would have been tempted to purposely under-expose for mood.

Scott

Nov 01, 2017 at 11:51 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Halloween

sbeme wrote:
2nd is my favorite in this excellent series, Ben.
First and third feel overly bright for the subject and I would have been tempted to purposely under-expose for mood.

Scott

Thanks Scott, I spent the entire night trying to dial in exposure. I don't use flash often enough.

Nov 02, 2017 at 02:38 AM
beavens
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Halloween

Love that you're branching out, Ben! Others have covered much already - I'm seeing a bit too much contrast in these. Aside from that they are fun and I am diggin them.

1 wins, 2 is a close 2nd and 3 is a far 3rd in comparison.

Jeff

Nov 02, 2017 at 03:10 AM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Halloween

Thanks Jeff, 1 was my least favorite. I guess my landscape eye is influencing me here as far as processing goes. I would need to learn some new technique, which is why I come here.

I am going to reprocess a couple later and report here. Looks like I need to darken and soften. How about saturation? None added, but they even look slightly over saturated to my eye.

Nov 02, 2017 at 03:25 PM
lighthound
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Halloween

ben egbert wrote:
How about saturation? None added, but they even look slightly over saturated to my eye.

They do look very colorful but that's to be expected from their vibrant colored costumes and a flash.

I think to match the spooky theme, you might want to try desaturating them a ton but not quite mono.
Something to play around with at least.

Dave

Nov 02, 2017 at 04:18 PM
beavens
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Halloween

ben egbert wrote:
Thanks Jeff, 1 was my least favorite. I guess my landscape eye is influencing me here as far as processing goes. I would need to learn some new technique, which is why I come here.

I am going to reprocess a couple later and report here. Looks like I need to darken and soften. How about saturation? None added, but they even look slightly over saturated to my eye.

Sat could be a little over, but I bet if you reduced contrast some the saturation wouldn't seem as bad.

Jeff

Nov 02, 2017 at 04:52 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Halloween

Here are some new ones, softer darker and less saturated. Like to hear your take if this is too far? I personally prefer the first, but then I love sharp snappy clear images.

Canon EOS 5DS R    EF24-70mm f/2.8L II USM lens    33mm    f/4.5    1/200s    100 ISO    0.0 EV  

Canon EOS 5DS R    EF24-70mm f/2.8L II USM lens    31mm    f/4.5    1/200s    100 ISO    0.0 EV  

Canon EOS 5DS R    EF24-70mm f/2.8L II USM lens    27mm    f/4.5    1/200s    100 ISO    0.0 EV  

Nov 02, 2017 at 06:46 PM
lighthound
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Halloween

Just my opinion but I think your edits are MUCH better.
I had know idea reducing contrast could actually pull better details like this. For instance, just looking at the little girl's eyes in the first image, I can now see her retinas and just look at the separation between her back hair and black sweeter now vs the OP image.

The 3rd image edit almost seems brighter now for some reason. Much better tones again but the hands and face seem brighter.

Good call on the contrast Jeff!

I'll be watching and following this thread to see what others say. I find this very interesting and informative.

Dave

Nov 02, 2017 at 07:13 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password