Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Looking for long lens options for 1DX...

arbitrage
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Looking for long lens options for 1DX...

Chris B. wrote:
Thank you all again! Lots of great ideas for sure!

Since I already have some excellent glass, the idea of adding a 5DIV to the mix may be the best option for now...

Give the 1DX2 some consideration also...won't give you much more pixels but can work at 1000mm even for BIF....

Canon EOS-1D X Mark II    EF500mm f/4L IS II USM +2x III lens    1000mm    f/8.0    1/2500s    800 ISO    0.0 EV  

Canon EOS-1D X Mark II    EF500mm f/4L IS II USM +2x III lens    1000mm    f/8.0    1/3200s    1250 ISO    0.0 EV  

Canon EOS-1D X Mark II    EF500mm f/4L IS II USM +2x III lens    1000mm    f/8.0    1/4000s    1250 ISO    0.0 EV  

Canon EOS-1D X Mark II    EF500mm f/4L IS II USM +2x III lens    1000mm    f/8.0    1/4000s    1250 ISO    0.0 EV  

Nov 02, 2017 at 12:43 AM
fpoet
• •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Looking for long lens options for 1DX...

I will suggest the unthinkable: try a 5DSr. Folks dismiss it because of the low frame rate and debatable ISO performance, but it is actually very good IMO for distant BIF. Also affordable on the used market.

Nov 03, 2017 at 12:16 PM
iammikie
• • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Looking for long lens options for 1DX...

I've owned them all and my suggestion is to get the 800 IS, look for used as sometimes there are great deals for this lens.

Nov 03, 2017 at 12:23 PM
fpoet
• •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Looking for long lens options for 1DX...

A few distant shots with the 5DSr-600II and 5DSr-100-400mmII. All of them important crops. You can enlarge the photos on Flickr.

Balbuzard pêcheur / Osprey by François Poitras, sur Flickr

Petit garrot / Bufflehead by François Poitras, sur Flickr

Pygargue à tête blanche / Bald Eagle by François Poitras, sur Flickr

Chouette épervière / Northern Hawk Owl by François Poitras, sur Flickr

Edited on Nov 03, 2017 at 12:56 PM · View previous versions

Nov 03, 2017 at 12:37 PM
Danpbphoto
• • • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Looking for long lens options for 1DX...

I sold my 600 v1 a few years ago and regretted it the moment it left my possession. But I needed something lighter.
The prices for a retired fixed income person were a bit much but fair. So I waited and watched B&S. Lo and behold I found a 500mm first version, no IS, 1990's in mechanically excellent condition and glass spotless! The seller and I spoke numerous times. He even called me a year later to check on the status of the lens. I gained a great lens and a friend.
Since I use a tripod and or gimble for any long lens 500 and greater, IS was not an issue. Yes the support in case of "issues" was considered and dealt with. The cosmetic issues of the lens were taken care of with a can of Canon paint. Long story short...cost of lens was 70% below a V1(FMV) and 90% v2(FMV). I still have it and it is still tack sharp and performs fantastic and looks about a +9. Feedback is in my profile for verification.
So there are deals out there if cost is an issue. You must be patient and maybe give up a few "bells and whistles" to get the lens. But I have been satisfied for many years.
Good luck!
Dan

PS Despite the mention that older lenses are NOT repairable..is factually incorrect in all my experiences.

Edited on Nov 04, 2017 at 12:19 PM · View previous versions

Nov 03, 2017 at 12:47 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

mikeinctown
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Looking for long lens options for 1DX...

Oddly enough I have a 1Dx and just bought a 7DII for the crop reach. I also have a Sigma 150-600C but indoors that wasn't an option. I would think picking up an older longer lens would be the best option unless you go with something like the 5DS as mentioned before where you'll still have a lot of pixels to play with if you crop.

Before spending $3k on a second body I'd be inclined to rent one first and see how it plays with your style.

Nov 03, 2017 at 02:45 PM
danski0224
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Looking for long lens options for 1DX...

Essentially, none of the USM and no IS lenses are repairable.

The 1st generation IS big whites are slowly being declared obsolete by Canon now. At least those can be focused manually without a power requirement.

Nov 03, 2017 at 02:46 PM
speedmaster20d
• • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Looking for long lens options for 1DX...

Chris B. wrote:
After many years of shooting with crop sensor cameras (1DIV and 7DII), I picked up a new-to-me 1DX at the beginning of the summer and it's now my new favorite camera. I shoot BIF and own a 500 f4II, 400 DO II, and 100-400 II, and I use a 1.4xIII with all those lenses frequently. I also own a 2xIII which I use virtually always for distant perched shots since even with the 1DX, getting the combination to lock on for BIF is very difficult. What I'm quickly discovering is that my 500+1.4x is now a bit short for
...Show more

Don't buy the old lens Chris if your goal is to capture BIF, it is very heavy and most of the weight is in the front of the lens. I'd say even the most skilled (and strong) won't hand hold that old beast day in and day out, BIF is all about hand holding and with that lens your keeper ratio will significantly reduce since you won't be able to keep the bird centered if in the frame at all

the old lens also lacks the AF technology that's in the new lenses and will slow down with the extenders unlike your 400 DO II and 500 II. It will be pretty much useless for BIF with the 2X. Overall pretty bad investment if you ask me

the 1DX is a pretty capable body when it comes to locking with the 2XIII and a series II super-tele if you use the proper technique BTW, I was pretty successful with that combination... you have the keep the bird dead center though as the expansion pattern is small with only 4 sensors active.

Sell your 500II and sit tight until you find a used 600II. It doesn't happen often but every once in a while they show up on the used market by folks who frequently change camera systems or figure the lens is too much for them. their loss can be your gain

Nov 07, 2017 at 08:49 AM
Chris B.
• • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Looking for long lens options for 1DX...

Thank you for the advice!

After a pretty good outing with the 1DX and my 500II+1.4xIII (see below), I've decided to hold off on doing anything until sometime in 2018. If the rumored 600DO comes to pass, there may be some 600IIs on the market at reasonable prices although I still have to come to grips with the size of it.

Canon EOS-1D X    700mm    f/8.0    1/2500s    1600 ISO    0.0 EV  

Nov 07, 2017 at 12:47 PM
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password