New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Falls Colors

beavens
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Falls Colors

Hey guys, been a while.

I've had my hands full with the new baby, so time to shoot has been minimal to say the least. After a while of this (and a brief hiatus from FM) it seems I landed myself in something of a photo funk. The drive has always been there hanging around, but between not being able to shoot and then being away for a while it seemed to get buried in the muck.

Finally got out yesterday with the fam to Shenandoah National Park and Skyline Drive. I was all psyched to get back into IR (and all aspects of photography in general), but dumbass Jeff left the battery for his IR body at home. In the charger. In the wall.

Bummer!

At least I had my main body with me so I didn't leave necessarily empty handed. Feel free to chime in about anything on this one - landscape ain't my main cuppa, so expect 'roughness' as per usual.

I've got a bracketed blend below of one of the shots. I'd say they will more or less be the same - maybe a few bits of differing light falling on them, but you get the gist.

What chaps my ass on this one is that gd tree on the right edge. How much does this guy bleeding into the edge detracts? I could swear we were all gravy train when I was composing, but apparently not.

Anyway, I guess this marks me trying to get back into the swing of things.

Cheers,

Jeff

Nov 01, 2017 at 02:00 AM
eeneryma
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Falls Colors

beavens wrote:
Hey guys, been a while.

I've had my hands full with the new baby, so time to shoot has been minimal to say the least. After a while of this (and a brief hiatus from FM) it seems I landed myself in something of a photo funk. The drive has always been there hanging around, but between not being able to shoot and then being away for a while it seemed to get buried in the muck.

Finally got out yesterday with the fam to Shenandoah National Park and Skyline Drive. I was all psyched to get back into IR (and
...Show more

So nice to see you posting!

I"m not the landscape guy, but my impression is that I automatically squint when I look at the photo because of the intensity of the sun. Otherwise, the light on the landscape itself is beautiful. I don't mind the treees on the right as they serve a framing purpose, but perhaps if you had shown a little more of them. They seem unnaturally cut off.

You do live in a scenic area of the country.

Steve

Nov 01, 2017 at 12:53 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Falls Colors

This has a nice layered look. But I just know there is some really great color out there just waiting for some illumination.

Nov 01, 2017 at 02:08 PM
lighthound
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Falls Colors

Strong presence! That's what I get when viewing this one. I think it's due to (as Steve mentioned) the feeling to need to squint. I like how you handled that area of the sky.

+1 @might have a little more fall color to squeeze out of it although it looks like the peak colors had passed.

Good to see you posting again!

Dave

Edited on Nov 01, 2017 at 06:18 PM · View previous versions

Nov 01, 2017 at 03:12 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

DaleBerlin
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Falls Colors

Beautiful image. Im OK with the saturation, it looks very real to me, but adding POP catches eyes. Man, if there is empty space to the right of those tree, then you did blow the comp IMO. Those trees sitting around the rule of thirds would make this sing. Really nice post on this.

Nov 01, 2017 at 05:05 PM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Falls Colors

Welcome back.

Landscapes in general are above my paygrade.
This one has a natural, balanced look. Yes the colors aren't vibrant, but the light is beautiful over this peaceful, quiet scene. The sun in bright, but I don't think there is anything to change there.
And the control over exposure is excellent.

Scott

Nov 01, 2017 at 11:40 PM
beavens
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Falls Colors

eeneryma wrote:
So nice to see you posting!

I"m not the landscape guy, but my impression is that I automatically squint when I look at the photo because of the intensity of the sun. Otherwise, the light on the landscape itself is beautiful. I don't mind the treees on the right as they serve a framing purpose, but perhaps if you had shown a little more of them. They seem unnaturally cut off.

You do live in a scenic area of the country.

Steve

Thanks for the comments, Steve! No problem with the squint - natural reaction to save your peepers. Once you realize you're not gonna get hurt you can open them up a little bit.

Unnaturally cut off just about sums up what is the thorn on my side with that tree. What kills me is that I had my eye in the viewfinder a LOT while I was taking these with making sure that tree was included organically. I'm not sure what happened, but I certainly screwed the pooch in the end.

Not as lucky as Ben, but a couple hours drive ain't so bad.

---------------------------------------------

ben egbert wrote:
This has a nice layered look. But I just know there is some really great color out there just waiting for some illumination.

Thanks Ben! I'll put out a few more versions with some slightly different looks and maybe I will come away with a decent shot.

lighthound wrote:
Strong presence! That's what I get when viewing this one. I think it's due to (as Steve mentioned) the feeling to need to squint. I like how you handled that area of the sky.

+1 @might have a little more fall color to squeeze out of it although it looks like the peak colors had passed.

Good to see you posting again!

Dave

Thanks Dave!! It was an absolutely gorgeous day and thankfully there were some clouds (for a while) over the mountains - pretty much everywhere else we were that day had a sky balder than my head.

Not sure when peak is/was to be honest. This was more of a "fit the plans" scenario, so I'm not complaining!! I always try to walk the line when it comes to juicing colors like this. I think I'll need to see how it looks on a few different displays to get a better idea. If I print I'll def give her a boost.

DaleBerlin wrote:
Beautiful image. Im OK with the saturation, it looks very real to me, but adding POP catches eyes. Man, if there is empty space to the right of those tree, then you did blow the comp IMO. Those trees sitting around the rule of thirds would make this sing. Really nice post on this.

Thanks Dale! I prefer real to garish (although if I come across a garish scene I'm not afraid to slap a little more on) - hoping the natural, simple beauty would carry this one a bit. So with those trees - there was another small grouping of trees to the right where there was an awkward impeding branch. The idea was to crop just enough space the right of the tree I wanted and I was gonna clone out the offending branch from the cropped tree. I dunno what my excuse is, but I blew it with the comp. Maybe I looked at the sun too much! I put a cell pano of the trees below to give you an idea.

sbeme wrote:
Welcome back.

Landscapes in general are above my paygrade.
This one has a natural, balanced look. Yes the colors aren't vibrant, but the light is beautiful over this peaceful, quiet scene. The sun in bright, but I don't think there is anything to change there.
And the control over exposure is excellent.

Scott

Gracias amigo - I was really salty that I forgot the battery for that T6. Damn Canon for not using the same batteries on the entry level bodies these days!

Thanks for the comments and kind words. Intent for this one was serenity, not jaw-dropping.

Jeff

Shot @ 35mm

Cell Pano

Nov 02, 2017 at 02:59 AM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password