FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Glorify

Mark Metternich
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Glorify

I took this a day ago on the last location/shoot of my one of my NW Fall workshops, to help demonstrate zoom compression effects. Although I know some do not like (or even detest) human figures in photos (and feel free to express that in the comments here - but I love it sometimes!) in sharp contrast to a gimmick this is my authentic expression of personal overwhelming awe, praise and gratitude for life and the wonders of what I see as creation.

Technicals:

I got back as far as possible from the falls and then zoomed up as much as possible. Then taking test shots, I found a shutter speed that gave me the exact look I wanted in the water. Next I put my camera in continuous shooting mode (using a manual cable release with a lock) then walked back to the location and did a couple poses of authentic expression. Once the precise spot was figured out, clients were encouraged to do some self portraits if they desired.

Sony A7R2
Canon [email protected]
f/11
0.6 shutter speed
ISO 50
no filtration
single shot
conservative development in post processing
processed on my Macbook Pro, non calibrated (which I almost NEVER do!)

Lastly, I am so excited to say that I had the awesome privilege of getting INTERVIEWED by Nick Page (The Landscape Photography Podcast) the other day about Master Printmaking! Nick is awesome! If you look him up (Google) Nick's podcasts are among the best in the industry. He even interviewed Art Wolfe after me!

All the best to you, and GREAT LIGHT to you! Hope you are enjoying Autumn/Fall! Thank you for looking.

Edited on Oct 31, 2017 at 10:42 PM · View previous versions

Oct 31, 2017 at 08:44 PM
douter
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Glorify

I like it Mark, but feel if at all possible, including the top of the falls would strengthen this.
Douglas

Oct 31, 2017 at 08:56 PM
Mark Metternich
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Glorify

douter wrote:
I like it Mark, but feel if at all possible, including the top of the falls would strengthen this.
Douglas

Thank you Douglas. I appreciate the compliment and feedback here and totally understand what you are saying.

To get the look of compression I wanted (to where I seem very close to the hugeness of the (and it is huge) water falling it would be impossible to get the top of the waterfall. The waterfall would be about 5X (or more) of the height you see here. So in my mind, the only option would be a super tall and thin vertical panorama (maybe a good idea to try). The other way would be no compression (a much wider angle) and the human figure be extremely small and the water would then feel far away (which I did not want). The other thing here is that I really wanted minimalism and no distracting elements leading up or around the scene. I just wanted it to be about 2 things: the figure of expression and the powerful surreal water. But having said that, I do see other options or approaches (like yours here) just as viable.

Again, thank you for your feedback.

Oct 31, 2017 at 09:05 PM
dbostock
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Glorify

Mark, I like this a lot. It does demonstrate compression, but is also an artistic take on nature's magnificence. Nicely done. So...which waterfall in the NW is this?

Regards,
David

Nov 01, 2017 at 12:04 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Mark Metternich
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Glorify

dbostock wrote:
Mark, I like this a lot. It does demonstrate compression, but is also an artistic take on nature's magnificence. Nicely done. So...which waterfall in the NW is this?

Regards,
David

Thank you very much David! I usually do not reveal my locations, especially if they are very special to me (not wanting to drive traffic to the areas) but this is a quite popular waterfall (has become over the last 5 years) in Oregon named Abiqua Falls. I was actually raised quite close by here and have shot it a bunch of times, just never posted any of my work. Here I felt inspiration. So again, thank you! Great light to you!

Nov 01, 2017 at 03:26 AM
dbostock
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Glorify

Mark,

Thanks for the name of the waterfall. I promise I won’t tell anyone else 😆

Cheers,
David

Nov 01, 2017 at 01:23 PM
Mark Metternich
• • • • •