Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

If you could start your business all over...

canerino
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · If you could start your business all over...

Some potential major changes on the horizon for me. Excited. Nervous. Scared.

If you could go back in time via delorean and start your photography business over, what would you do and why?

Oct 31, 2017 at 06:51 PM
LeeSimms
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · If you could start your business all over...

I would've split off our associate brand about 2 years earlier.

Oct 31, 2017 at 06:53 PM
MRomine
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · If you could start your business all over...

canerino wrote:
If you could go back in time via delorean and start your photography business over, what would you do and why?

I would not name my business after my personal name. In an industry where the principle buyers are women, I believe that having a male name associated with a business can be a negative to some female shoppers.

Additionally, it would be much easier to sell a business as part of an exit plan if that said business was not named after the previous owner.

Oct 31, 2017 at 07:39 PM
Mitch W
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · If you could start your business all over...

I wouldn't change a thing. I no longer shoot weddings, but I'm pretty sure the experience I gained shooting weddings, in addition to the experience I gained from every job I had before that, led to my having the dream photography job I have now (dream job for me, not necessarily anyone else). Everything had to be as it was for it to be as it is now. Wow, deep haha! So are you going to give us a hint about your potential major changes? Or is this just a one-way dealio?

Oct 31, 2017 at 09:13 PM
glort
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · If you could start your business all over...

canerino wrote:

I'd do photography part time to pay for becoming qualified in another trade or profession that had better long term prospects, was immune to technology undermining it and people had more respect for.

Oct 31, 2017 at 10:21 PM
ZachOly
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · If you could start your business all over...

All in on FB
Would have done one of those big workshops right from the start
Bigger focus on learning how to pose and interact with clients
Wish I second shot for a year or two rather than jumping right into it as a solo shooter

Oct 31, 2017 at 10:51 PM
Mark_L
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · If you could start your business all over...

glort wrote:
I'd do photography part time to pay for becoming qualified in another trade or profession that had better long term prospects, was immune to technology undermining it and people had more respect for.

As a part timer I'm on the verge of exiting. I'm just fed up of the lack of respect people have and how bad a business photography is. I see a massive contrast from my day job (project manager in aerospace) and photography.

Rather than going into it I should have put more money into professional education.

Oct 31, 2017 at 11:02 PM
Chris Cooke
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · If you could start your business all over...

I would have:

Built a stronger website
Worked harder to build vendor relationships early on
Studied off camera flash earlier
Charged more and Spent less

Oct 31, 2017 at 11:53 PM
Depth of Feel
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · If you could start your business all over...

Laid out my business exactly how I wanted it to be instead of trying to "build up" to it.

Nov 01, 2017 at 07:21 AM
flash
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · If you could start your business all over...

Work less. Party harder. Retire young.

Gordon

Nov 01, 2017 at 09:04 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

hardlyboring
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · If you could start your business all over...

hmm... I don't know that I would change much.
I would like to book more and shoot more and edit less but other than that I am fairly happy with where we have come from and gone to.
I probably would have spent more time on branding and advertising but other than that...

As far as school goes I would have skipped education school and done business school.
I think I missed my calling as a manager or some CEO or something...

Nov 01, 2017 at 02:39 PM
InSanE
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · If you could start your business all over...

Skip regular education.
Accept immoral offers and hit on girls at weddings.

Nov 01, 2017 at 04:01 PM
mineymole
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · If you could start your business all over...

If I could start over I would have taken 1/2 of every dollar earned and put it away for retirement.

Nov 01, 2017 at 08:27 PM
Scott Mosher
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · If you could start your business all over...

Oh, you mean what I'm doing right now? Since I moved 2.5 years ago and picked up a full time job, I've been going through my business and redoing everything.

- Pricing changes to match what I need to be at, not starting low & building it up
- More & better market research
- Networking with venues/planners better
- Used a nickname instead of my own name when registering on FM
- Look at my own weaknesses more and see how I can turn them into strengths & benefits
- Thank those who took the time to teach me a lot earlier and more often

Nov 01, 2017 at 08:56 PM
LeeSimms
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · If you could start your business all over...

One huge transition we've been going through for the last year is identify other photo/video businesses in our same size to network with.

The machine of WPPI/PPA is set up for a boutique business whose entire annual business is 40 events. I personally shoot over 100 a year and our business does over 150.

Now we have regular conference calls with several other vendors who do 150+ events a year like us. In those conversations, it's not artistic talk like ƒ2.0 vs ƒ2.1 — it's much more about payroll, taxes, customer service, etc.

I wish I would've found these partners earlier. So if I could start all over ...

Nov 01, 2017 at 09:02 PM
jasonhupe
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · If you could start your business all over...

My biggest regret is starting out in a partnership and doing work under a "brand" for 8+ years. After leaving the business and deciding to get back into photography a year later Im starting from ground zero. My name is not associated with any of the work I created in those eight years and now Im basically having to build from the ground up. Really excited to see where this is going Chuck!

Nov 01, 2017 at 11:16 PM
level1photog
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · If you could start your business all over...

Mark_L wrote:
As a part timer I'm on the verge of exiting. I'm just fed up of the lack of respect people have and how bad a business photography is. I see a massive contrast from my day job (project manager in aerospace) and photography.

Rather than going into it I should have put more money into professional education.

I'm similar to you who is also a part timer. You are going to find people who have no respect for photography. Just ignore them. You need to focus and market to those that do. As a part timer, I can take more risk when it come to pricing & be selective on who you want to work with.

-If I have to do it all over again with my current skills, I would create better branding than I first started. I wouldn't cater to cheap clients at all.
-I would focus more outside of family and friends.
-I would understand not everyone is your clients and how to market to those clients that's willing to pay for me better.

Edited on Nov 02, 2017 at 08:07 PM · View previous versions

Nov 02, 2017 at 08:01 PM
SGallant
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · If you could start your business all over...

The number 1 thing I would do differently is not rely solely on weddings as an income. I would have brought on other services sooner. Portraits, video, drone, anything. I finally did and I find they help me keep learning new things, and think differently on top of providing a near term income stream.

At the time I started the Knot was a viable lead source. Now I find it garbage so I would stay away from that.

I would have hired someone younger than I to handle my social media, blogging and some other things I don't want to deal with. I plan to hire this person early '18.

I would have brought on quickbooks online at the start instead of a year or two later.

I would not have used my name for the company.

Nov 02, 2017 at 08:03 PM
canerino
• • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · If you could start your business all over...

Great information all! I really appreciate you all sharing your experiences!

Nov 03, 2017 at 03:19 PM
formula4speed
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · If you could start your business all over...

If I had a time machine I would definitely be a professional dinosaur trainer. No question.

Nov 03, 2017 at 06:43 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password