Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

LR Classic CC - Embedded JPEG preview. How to?

tonyhart
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · LR Classic CC - Embedded JPEG preview. How to?

Hi Guys,

In the new Lightroom Classic CC, how do you use embedded JPEG previews rather than rendering minimals/standard or 1:1? I know you can do it on import, but how about after that?! I simply can't see a way to do it, and I can't find the solution via Google. Anyone got any leads?

Oct 31, 2017 at 04:34 PM
butchM
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · LR Classic CC - Embedded JPEG preview. How to?

The capability was added to allow for quicker importation and initial culling, not as a permanent state. There is a setting where you can select if you want Lr to update the embedded and replace previews with Lr generated previews in the background during idle time. (This only changed the previews in the Lightroom Library, it does not change the embedded or sidecar preview in the actual RAW image file). But if you ever view the image in Develop, it's going to generate a Lr preview for that image.

New Embedded & Sidecar workflow is not designed to work beyond the import process. If you never take the images into the Develop module ... once you take the images into Develop, in order to show you how the image will look as it is processed, Lr must create it's own preview in order to offer the correct rendering of the settings applied ... even if it is just the default Lr settings for the camera involved which may differ quite a bit from the camera generated jpeg preview.

There is more detail here:
http://lightroomsolutions.com/embedded-sidecar-workflow-in-lightroom-classic/

Oct 31, 2017 at 04:50 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · LR Classic CC - Embedded JPEG preview. How to?

as Butch says . not a lot of point once you've imported and your LR previews are built. good feature to have though for that initial import and cull .

at some point soon I'll get round to installing Classic and having a play .

Oct 31, 2017 at 05:58 PM
tonyhart
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · LR Classic CC - Embedded JPEG preview. How to?

Here's why I want to do it.

I shot a squash tournament this weekend and, as it was sport, I shot JPEG. I culled in PM and put my faves into LR. However, as it was sport, and a weekend long event, I've got 1000+ faves. I now want to go through the JPEGS (and a few RAWS, which were shots of the presentations etc) and find my 5-star images. I haven't, nor do I want to, edit them. I haven't been into develop. Nonetheless it is showing me some sort of rendered version of the image.

Well, I presume that's why, when I'm in the Library module, things are slower shot to shot than they might otherwise be. I want to cut out any rendering, and just flick through the entirely untouched images. Is it just that LR is slow regardless? I never use it for culling anymore so this is an unusual use case for me.

Oct 31, 2017 at 06:03 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

butchM
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · LR Classic CC - Embedded JPEG preview. How to?

tonyhart wrote:

Unfortunately, why you want to do it isn't enough to make it happen. At least for now. As with many capabilities of software, this feature is not coded to offer the usage in the manner you would prefer. You'll need to lobby with Adobe further ... it took us over a decade to get them to offer any sort of usage of the embedded preview at all. I, and several other users requested such a capability during the very first public beta before Lightroom v1 was ever released.

Good luck!

Oct 31, 2017 at 06:13 PM
Littleguy
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · LR Classic CC - Embedded JPEG preview. How to?

From reading the manual (I don't have LR CCC) - it appears that if you select the minimal setting in the import screen - it won't generate any previews and just use the embedded jpg - as long as you don't start to edit them in the develop module...in which case it will start the generation process.

https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom/help/photo-video-import-options.html

tonyhart wrote:

I shot a squash tournament this weekend and, as it was sport, I shot JPEG. I culled in PM and put my faves into LR. However, as it was sport, and a weekend long event, I've got 1000+ faves. I now want to go through the JPEGS (and a few RAWS, which were shots of the presentations etc) and find my 5-star images. I haven't, nor do I want to, edit them. I haven't been into develop. Nonetheless it is showing me some sort of rendered version of the image.

Well, I presume
...Show more

Oct 31, 2017 at 06:30 PM
Ziffl3
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · LR Classic CC - Embedded JPEG preview. How to?

Why move into Lr at all.
Just stay in photomechanic.

Oct 31, 2017 at 06:56 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password