New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

One of the all time great color bodies of work

airfrogusmc
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · One of the all time great color bodies of work

One of the all time great color photography books and bodies of work.

Click on "American Color 2". It is worth the time spent looking.

https://pro.magnumphotos.com/CS.aspx?VP3=CMS3&ERID=24KL53ZOQY&VF=MAGO31_10_VForm&POPUPIID=2S5RYDYYUOG3&POPUPPN=21#/CMS3&ERID=24KL53ZOQY&VF=MAGO31_10_VForm&POPUPIID=2S5RYDYR2KI4&POPUPPN=1

I have had the pleasure of meeting Mr Manos and had an opportunity to have a wonderful conversation with him. He is not only and amazing photographer but even more important a wonderful and fully engaged human being.

Oct 31, 2017 at 03:18 PM
dmacmillan
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · One of the all time great color bodies of work

These are great! He's always been a favorite.

Oct 31, 2017 at 03:40 PM
Peter Figen
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · One of the all time great color bodies of work

Really wonderful images. A bit like Friedlander but in color. Very sophisticated compositions that look simple but are extraordinarily difficult to do.

Oct 31, 2017 at 07:50 PM
airfrogusmc
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · One of the all time great color bodies of work

Peter he is an amazing photographer and along with Meyerowitz and a few others one of the pioneers in color street photography.

Oct 31, 2017 at 08:00 PM
friscoron
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · One of the all time great color bodies of work

Color? Allen... what's going on?

(I'll have to check them out later.)

Oct 31, 2017 at 08:02 PM
airfrogusmc
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · One of the all time great color bodies of work

Just cause I don't a lot of it brother don't mean I can't love it.

Oct 31, 2017 at 08:03 PM
gheller
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · One of the all time great color bodies of work

Mixed feelings about that gallery. Some are, in deed, amazing.

Many are just "meh", and others just plain not-engaging at all.

Got a bit tired of cut off heads and slightly crooked horizons (a pet peeve of mine... even in his style of work)

Loved the play on shadows, like the bicycle and motorcycle graffiti w/cigarette being lit.

greg

Oct 31, 2017 at 10:40 PM
airfrogusmc
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · One of the all time great color bodies of work

My question would be if a head is not important to the photo why include it? Some rule about never cutting out heads someone on some forum said?

And the bigger question in a large body of work is how are the images working together? Does one compliment the other? Is there a visual flow?

Oct 31, 2017 at 11:18 PM
gheller
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · One of the all time great color bodies of work

Totally agree about breaking the rules... but some images didn't benefit with the chopped head IMO

There are some images I would have definitely culled, but of course, it is his vision, not mine

greg

Nov 01, 2017 at 03:09 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

airfrogusmc
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · One of the all time great color bodies of work

I do believe that a head in the images shown in this body of work would have drawn attention away from the message and made it about the person instead of what was actually being conveyed. A great photographer once told me that either everything in the frame should be supporting your visual statement and if those things were not supporting that statement then they were hurting it. There is nothing in the frame that should just be there. In my opinion in this body of work by Manos and what he is trying to visually communicate heads would not be helping. The title of the book is "American Color 2". Not American Color Portraits.

Nov 01, 2017 at 01:27 PM
dmacmillan
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · One of the all time great color bodies of work

Worse than that, there were images where the subjects had their backs to the cameras. Photographs like that are never interesting. ;-)

Nov 01, 2017 at 02:03 PM
airfrogusmc
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · One of the all time great color bodies of work

dmacmillan wrote:
Worse than that, there were images where the subjects had their backs to the cameras. Photographs like that are never interesting. ;-)

Ha ha.

Nov 01, 2017 at 02:40 PM
airfrogusmc
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · One of the all time great color bodies of work

Thought this worthy of a repost just incase some didn't see this in the other thread where we went over all this and what your post referred to.
Making light of all the so called forum experts.
http://theonlinephotographer.blogspot.com/2006/06/great-photographers-on-internet.html

Nov 01, 2017 at 03:15 PM
Danpbphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · One of the all time great color bodies of work

I am always encouraged by a "celebrity" taking time to engage in thoughtful discourse. Glad you got some "one-on-one" time Allen. I am always looking for pov's that I had not realized or realized and discounted until explained properly.
Great comments.
S/F
Dan

Nov 02, 2017 at 12:37 PM
airfrogusmc
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · One of the all time great color bodies of work

There are a lot of photographers that history has shown to be world class that wasn't in that funny piece. He has and will be a huge influent on me and if he wasn't on a list compiled by me it was a space issue and an oversiight one my part. He is and has been one of my favorites. He was on the cover of Viewfinder magazine last year Volume 49 issue 2 that i had an article and 13 images in and I was humbled to be in a publication with his work.

For those that haven't seen it here is pt 2 and these two pieces show how funny the forum experts can be.
http://theonlinephotographer.typepad.com/the_online_photographer/2009/11/great-photographers-on-the-internet-part-ii.html

WHOA!!! I should have quoted. This was in response to a post that as been removed. The link (above) to part two was worth the post and the laughs. It's almost as funny as part one especially the comment to AA.

Nov 02, 2017 at 04:58 PM
JohnnyArguedas

p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · One of the all time great color bodies of work

airfrogusmc wrote:
Thought this worthy of a repost just incase some didn't see this in the other thread where we went over all this and what your post referred to.
Making light of all the so called forum experts.
http://theonlinephotographer.blogspot.com/2006/06/great-photographers-on-internet.html

That's the first thing I thought about when I saw the criticisms about his amazing work.

By the way, to the OP, thanks for posting this. This is beautiful work that I knew nothing about. Magnum photographers always amaze me.

Nov 03, 2017 at 02:33 PM
Future Man
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · One of the all time great color bodies of work

Love these photos so much. Thanks for sharing.

Manos has a book at my library I will get tomorrow.

Nov 13, 2017 at 04:32 AM
Bob Jarman
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · One of the all time great color bodies of work

Thanks Allen, most interesting.

Bob

Nov 13, 2017 at 08:49 PM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password