Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2017 · Nikon shutters China plant, lays off 2,285 employees, Blames Rise of Sma...

dolina
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Nikon shutters China plant, lays off 2,285 employees, Blames Rise of Smartphones

Japan's Nikon shutters China plant, lays off 2,285 employees, Blames Rise of Smartphones

Press Release: http://www.nikon.com/news/2017/1030_01_e.pdf

Oct 30, 2017 at 10:09 PM
brian_sp
• • • •
[X]
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Nikon shutters China plant, lays off 2,285 employees, Blames Rise of Smartphones

Sears Canada going out of business, laying off 12,000, blames everyone, for not shopping there

https://www.thestar.com/business/2017/10/10/sears-canada-going-out-of-business.html

Oct 31, 2017 at 12:38 AM
charles.K
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Nikon shutters China plant, lays off 2,285 employees, Blames Rise of Smartphones

This is sad for the employees of the Nikon plant in China, but it is healthy that Nikon is continuing to adapt to the changing markets.

Oct 31, 2017 at 12:49 AM
thedruid
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Nikon shutters China plant, lays off 2,285 employees, Blames Rise of Smartphones

Good old Nikon off the blocks like Bolt, I didn't realize that smartphones were on the rise!

Oct 31, 2017 at 03:11 AM
TooManyShots
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Nikon shutters China plant, lays off 2,285 employees, Blames Rise of Smartphones

Here is my insights..Hehehehe...

Does Nikon China produce parts for the Chinese market only or for the most...or just another low cost factory producing parts for Nikon DSLRs in general? Nikon decided to close down the plant and blaming on smartphones...does it mean Nikon DSLRs aren't selling as much in general or just in China If Nikon closes down the plant in the China, where do they get parts for all other Nikon DSLRs being sold worldwide?

Oct 31, 2017 at 11:46 AM
jpelt78
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Nikon shutters China plant, lays off 2,285 employees, Blames Rise of Smartphones

This plant is one of several in China. I think I read somewhere the Nikon 1 and high end Coolpix were made in the plant that is closing.

Also from some comments the 105 f1.4E and 200-500 appear to come from the closed plant.

Oct 31, 2017 at 12:28 PM
gdsf2
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Nikon shutters China plant, lays off 2,285 employees, Blames Rise of Smartphones

jpelt78 wrote:
This plant is one of several in China. I think I read somewhere the Nikon 1 and high end Coolpix were made in the plant that is closing.

Also from some comments the 105 f1.4E and 200-500 appear to come from the closed plant.

Actually, it said this in this press release. Nikon is focusing on high end products - DSLRs and likely mirrorless bodies and lenses - and moving away from point and shoot market. Sounds like a smart move to me.

Oct 31, 2017 at 12:53 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Nikon shutters China plant, lays off 2,285 employees, Blames Rise of Smartphones

jpelt78 wrote:

Hearsay. Try backing it up with some facts.

Oct 31, 2017 at 03:41 PM
jpelt78
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Nikon shutters China plant, lays off 2,285 employees, Blames Rise of Smartphones

Hence why I said “comments”. Don’t recall saying anything was a fact.

Imagemaster wrote:

Oct 31, 2017 at 06:35 PM
Charles Loy
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Nikon shutters China plant, lays off 2,285 employees, Blames Rise of Smartphones

Imagemaster wrote:

Not sure if it was made in the closed joint, but my 200-500 was 'Made in China' so it says on the lens.

Oct 31, 2017 at 06:50 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Nikon shutters China plant, lays off 2,285 employees, Blames Rise of Smartphones

jpelt78 wrote:
Hence why I said “comments”. Don’t recall saying anything was a fact.

And where did I say that anything you said was a fact?

The "some comments" that you posted (that were quoted by me) are hearsay.

Oct 31, 2017 at 06:51 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Nikon shutters China plant, lays off 2,285 employees, Blames Rise of Smartphones

Charles Loy wrote:
Not sure if it was made in the closed joint, but my 200-500 was 'Made in China' so it says on the lens.

So does mine, but it does not say "Made in Wuxi City".

Oct 31, 2017 at 06:56 PM
jpelt78
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Nikon shutters China plant, lays off 2,285 employees, Blames Rise of Smartphones

Don’t message boards tend to be composed of personal opinions and hearsay?

If those two lenses were made in Wuxi, they will get moved to one of the other Chinese plants anyway. Not a big deal either way.

Oct 31, 2017 at 07:01 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Nikon shutters China plant, lays off 2,285 employees, Blames Rise of Smartphones

Sure, and some people spread hearsay more than others.

Whether or not either of those lenses were made in Wuxi has no bearing on where they will continue to be made, as you say.

Not all American cars are made in Detroit.

Oct 31, 2017 at 07:11 PM
Charles Loy
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Nikon shutters China plant, lays off 2,285 employees, Blames Rise of Smartphones

Imagemaster wrote:
So does mine, but it does not say "Made in Wuxi City".

which is exactly what I said

Oct 31, 2017 at 07:44 PM
sonofjesse2010
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Nikon shutters China plant, lays off 2,285 employees, Blames Rise of Smartphones

buh bye small camera markert. That is a super dying markert. People don't want to carry two devices if their cell phone does "Great" pics. And lets be honest cell phones Pixel 2/Iphone X/8S are doing pretty awesome.

Oct 31, 2017 at 08:04 PM
charles.K
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Nikon shutters China plant, lays off 2,285 employees, Blames Rise of Smartphones

sonofjesse2010 wrote:
buh bye small camera markert. That is a super dying markert. People don't want to carry two devices if their cell phone does "Great" pics. And lets be honest cell phones Pixel 2/Iphone X/8S are doing pretty awesome.

Marisa, my wife and I are perfect examples of this. We always carry our Samsung S8+ and we use these often for quick image grabs or videos which are surprisingly high quality. I see the level of both still image capture and videos with smart phones continue to expand and the need for small sensor/compact cameras becoming almost obsolete. The market differentiation is very clear now.

Oct 31, 2017 at 08:24 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Nikon shutters China plant, lays off 2,285 employees, Blames Rise of Smartphones

Charles Loy wrote:
which is exactly what I said

Which is exactly what I agreed that you said.

Oct 31, 2017 at 08:31 PM
Charles Loy
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Nikon shutters China plant, lays off 2,285 employees, Blames Rise of Smartphones

Imagemaster wrote:
Which is exactly what I agreed that you said.

Oct 31, 2017 at 08:53 PM
GroovyGeek
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Nikon shutters China plant, lays off 2,285 employees, Blames Rise of Smartphones

dolina wrote:
Blames Rise of Smartphones

This is akin to Kodak blaming their demise on the rise of digital cameras. As Thom Hogan has documented well over the years, Nikon absolutely sucks when it comes to process flow. Trying to sell image quality to the Facebook crowd is completely pointless. Just think what it takes to get an image from a Nikon P&S to social media. Nikon should blame their own myopia, not the rise of smartphones.

Oct 31, 2017 at 11:59 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.