New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

AD200 - opinions?

crashwins
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · AD200 - opinions?

I picked up an AD600 recently...I was coming from an AD360 (non-TTL). The reality is I will never need to overpower the sun...I'm not into those F2 135mm shots at 1/8000 in daytime sun. It's a look - but not really my jam. I do like using a white wall, when I can in a studio, or doing some close-up stuff with an Octa..This is a simple kind of 1-light shot I do a lot with a 46" Softlighter. It was probably at F8 with the AD360 (I'm guessing 1/2 or 1/4 power).

I'm very curious about just dropping this thing and going to a super simple setup like the AD200. For modifiers I use a 36" Octa and my 46" Softlighter. The 360 powered both of these fine -- sometimes with too much power if I'm getting in close. Can the AD200 work for more intimate stuff after, say, 4pm or in the studio in modifiers this size? Thanks for reading. I realize I'm not taking full-body portraits at 1pm with the AD200 unless in the shade.

Oct 30, 2017 at 08:33 PM
sungphoto
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · AD200 - opinions?

I suppose it depends on how quickly you want to shoot. At f5.6-6.3 you'll probably be around 1/4-1/8 power with a 36" octa double diffused set about 3-4 ft from the subject, which is still a pretty short recycle time. With a double diffused 48" octa, you'll be pushing 1/2-1/4 power on the AD200 in my experience at f5.6-6.3, which may put a hitch on your shooting style if you like to shoot fast.

Personally, the biggest I'd go with a double diffused octa with the AD200 is a 36" one, but a single diffused modifier like your 46" softlighter would totally be fine with the AD200.

I really like the AD200, but I'm a little concerned about how well they're going to hold up over time, as I've already had a failure on one of my two - the body stopped identifying the bulb unit.

Oct 30, 2017 at 10:16 PM
mikethevilla
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · AD200 - opinions?

60" octobox with reflector dish, double diffused in 4 pm sun (backlit, obviously). I'd say you'll be just fine.

Oct 30, 2017 at 11:37 PM
crashwins
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · AD200 - opinions?

mikethevilla wrote:
http://www.villavisuals.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/18-12641-post/laguna_victoria_beach_engagement_session_0002.jpg

http://www.villavisuals.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/18-12641-post/laguna_victoria_beach_engagement_session_0003.jpg

http://www.villavisuals.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/18-12641-post/laguna_victoria_beach_engagement_session_0006.jpg

60" octobox with reflector dish, double diffused in 4 pm sun (backlit, obviously). I'd say you'll be just fine.

Just one AD200 in this?! Holy cow...that thing packs some heat

Oct 31, 2017 at 12:01 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

crashwins
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · AD200 - opinions?

sungphoto wrote:
I really like the AD200, but I'm a little concerned about how well they're going to hold up over time, as I've already had a failure on one of my two - the body stopped identifying the bulb unit.

Really appreciate you chiming in here...Funny, lots of reviewers talked about how amazing the quality was, but that isn't the same as longterm durability. The reviews are very positive, but seems there were a few lemons. Maybe that's what was going on out there...Godox isn't new to the flash game so maybe the QC was a little off with the first few batches.

Oct 31, 2017 at 12:03 AM
sungphoto
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · AD200 - opinions?

Yeah I use mine a ton. Generally my go-to on location lighting for corporate stuff is the AD600 on a 36" double diffused octa, an AD200 on a 12x36" strip as bottom fill, and another AD200 as a kicker/hairlight either gridded bare or on a 12x36" strip.

The only other nits that I'd pick in addition is that the LCD screen on the AD200 gets scratched super easy, and I don't like how all the buttons and switches are exposed so much, so I'm thinking I'll probably trash them in the next year through wear and tear or accidents. Oh and if you shoot in an area with a lot of others using radio triggered flashes (like central park around bethesda terrace or brooklyn bridge park when people are shooting engagements) the AD200 will get triggered by other shooters which can be a little annoying.

Oct 31, 2017 at 12:51 AM
mikethevilla
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · AD200 - opinions?

crashwins wrote:
Just one AD200 in this?! Holy cow...that thing packs some heat

You know it. If I remember correctly, most of these were around 1/4 power. Unless I'm either in the studio or fighting the literal noon-time sun, the AD600 sits around gathering dust.

Oct 31, 2017 at 07:12 AM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password