FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2017 · Portugal suggestions?

Bacalhau
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Portugal suggestions?

cohenfive wrote:
Thanks. i know we are trying to see a lot in a short time. It is our first time there so we want to 'survey' things, and assuming we like it, we will come back. We are renting a car, but not until we are leaving Lisbon. I figured we wouldn't need one there. Thank you for the recommendations on the food courts. We will get around via metro and uber. As far as the tolls go, not much we can do about them. We will be getting a transponder, and yes there is an extra fee to take the
...Show more

a quick tip regarding driving in Spain and Portugal - DO NOT EVER pass on the right, or cruise at speed limit on the left.

tons of great tips you got already, and just to make your life a bit more complicated , don't forget about Porto, and northern Portugal.

if you need a place to stay in Porto, pm me - I have a friend running an airbnb place, within minutes from Ribeira (old town area near the river) - search Casais da Bandeirinha, Porto
oh yeah, please include Obidos in your bucket list too ( an hour or so north from Lisbon)
Enjoy your stay

Dec 28, 2017 at 05:17 PM
cohenfive
• • • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Portugal suggestions?

Thanks gang. Leaving this evening for London, then on to Portugal and Spain. I'll drive cautiously, thanks for the heads up. What happens if you do one of these behaviors?

Have a great new year.

Dec 28, 2017 at 05:34 PM
Bacalhau
• • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Portugal suggestions?

cohenfive wrote:
Thanks gang. Leaving this evening for London, then on to Portugal and Spain. I'll drive cautiously, thanks for the heads up. What happens if you do one of these behaviors?

Have a great new year.

best case scenario, you will learn the local vernacular language ( both verbal and gestural)

Dec 29, 2017 at 12:13 PM
nampramos
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Portugal suggestions?

You can actually get finned if not driving on the most right lane on a multi lane road. Don't drive like in America (or Australia) where everyone just goes wherever they want to go at whatever speed they want to.

Dec 29, 2017 at 09:48 PM
Zenon Char
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Portugal suggestions?

Javier Munoz wrote:
Since I am originally from Cordoba I am going to chime in.

IMO Cordoba and Granada are more beautiful than Sevilla. I am not saying Sevilla is not worth it. It is Ok, but Cordoba and Granada are well above Seville in terms of charm. Plus there is nothing in Sevilla like the Mosque in Cordoba or the Alhambra in Granada. There is also the thing of me (and most non-sevillian spaniards) finding the people of Seville rather annoying. They try way too hard to be funny and very very few of them really get there.
Ronda is a great
...Show more

Too bad I missed this. We are staying in the Algarve in a few weeks. We have been there before. Sintra was unique. One of my favorite little towns was Alte. Found lot's of charming towns along the southern coast between Sagres and Faro. Castles as well. Looking for birding locations and found some spots on a site called fat birder. I might get a guide for a day.

I don't know if anyone watches Anthony Bourdain - Parts Unknown but I'd sure like to find those two fish wives in Porto with the potty mouths that pick on men. They were funny. I don't think we plan to head that way.

Lots of good suggestions. I sent this link to personal travel guide - my wife.

Got this on a bus going highway speed from Faro for Lisbon for an overnight tour. This was everywhere and we were stuck on a bus.

Jan 22, 2018 at 09:05 PM
       end

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.