New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

Portugal suggestions?

cohenfive
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Portugal suggestions?

We are heading to London at the end of the year for a wedding, and are hoping to fly down to Portugal to spend several days there. We really don't know much about the country, where we should go, what to see, etc. I know the weather probably wont' be great but it is what it is. Any ideas/suggestions would be appreciated, and if you have a travel company you used there that you liked, that would be helpful info as well. Thanks.

Oct 30, 2017 at 08:11 PM
jdc562
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Portugal suggestions?

In my experience, the Rick Steves guides are excellent, and he has several on Portugal. He probably has better suggestions for lodging, etc., than a travel agent. However, if you don't have special reasons to go to Portugal, and haven't been to Southern Spain, I'd highly recommend Seville. To me, and others, it is the greatest place on the Iberian peninsula, especially to maximize the worth of a trip limited to several days. There is a bullet train to Seville from Madrid (assuming you're flying in from London).

Oct 31, 2017 at 12:59 AM
Rajan Parrikar
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Portugal suggestions?

Where in Portugal do you intend to go? The south (Alentejo, Algarve etc) has a totally different flavour than the north (Porto, Braga, Coimbra). And then thereís the beautiful capital Lisboa. Do you like the beaches? If yes, go south. Do you like beautiful mountain scenery, historic churches (Porto)? Historic university town (Coimbra)? I suggest you Google the places I have cited. Thatíll give you a good start.

Oct 31, 2017 at 02:52 AM
DABNIK
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Portugal suggestions?

I have been to Lisbon 3x in the past 4 years. One of my favorite cities. Easy to get around; people are great; safe; cheap; - and outstandingly gorgeous. Lots of old bldgs (1755 was the "the quake"). Can take a train trip for the day to Cascais or Sintra.

I'm usually in Portugal for a week or two & Southern Spain for a month or two.
Any ?? - send me a PM
Doug

Oct 31, 2017 at 07:30 PM
elizabeth77

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Portugal suggestions?

Portugal is beautiful. I agree hat Lisboa is fantastic all in itself - tons of street opportunities and the inherent contrasts of modern life and ancient cobbled streets - and take a look at Sintra. It is much photographed but for good reason.

Comporta is my favorite place in Portugal in terms of relaxation but it's a beach town, so not ideal timing.

Nov 05, 2017 at 02:14 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

cohenfive
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Portugal suggestions?

Thanks all. We will be putting the trip together this week, will likely have more questions. We are thinking of also driving over to Spain to Seville, and the Alhambra.

Nov 05, 2017 at 02:21 PM
cohenfive
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Portugal suggestions?

If we drive over to Seville, will we have any issues with crossing the border in a rental car, or is it all good as both are EU countries?

Nov 07, 2017 at 04:16 PM
Sandra33
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Portugal suggestions?

And please keep an eye on your gear. I lost everything from camera to tripod two years ago north of Lisbon along the coast. Thefts from carboots are quite common there unfortunately

But beside this it is a beautyful country.

Nov 08, 2017 at 01:45 PM
longlens
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Portugal suggestions?

There is a substantial car theft industry in Portugal and Spain. Thefts from the rear trunk or 'boot', as well as from the car interior are very common. The thieves look for tourists parked, especially at lunch ( since most people take items into hotels at night). Locals I knew in Lisbon NEVER left anything in the car, just to be safe.
Lisbon is a gorgeous city, with much to see and photograph. Sintra, is easily accessible by the local suburban train and has several castles.

Nov 10, 2017 at 11:18 PM
cohenfive
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Portugal suggestions?

Thanks. I always take my camera gear with me...always.

Trip is taking shape. We fly into Lisbon Jan 2..On the 4th we drive south to catch some of the scenery on the southwest coast. We go to Seville night of 4th. On 6th we drive to Ronda/Malaga. On 7th we drive to Granada and have a tour of the Alhambra on the 8th. Not sure what we are doing night of 8th. We drive back to Lisbon on 9th, and fly back to London morning of 10th.

Any suggestions/comments much appreciated.

Nov 10, 2017 at 11:24 PM

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password