New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · 1DX Mark II Cfast Issue

mb126
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 1DX Mark II Cfast Issue

Hi All,
I rented a 1DX Mark II for a wedding this past weekend mostly to record video. I had the camera set up on a tripod to record the ceremony remotely and I though the camera was set to dual write to CF + CFast slots (for still it was set to record separately-- Raw to CF and JPG to Cfast).

It appears that the ceremony video from this camera recorded only to the Cfast card and is 5.23gb in total. However, with the camera plugged in via the USB-C connector to my computer the video file is showing as 0 bytes. Attempting to copy it to my external HD does nothing. The file is there because I can replay the video from the CFast card in the camera and everything appears ok. I tried copying it separately to the CF card but it refuses to copy because of the size >4gb.

I am ordering a CFast card reader (I don't own a 1DX2 so don't have one) and am hoping if I connect the card directly this will work. However, if it does not does anyone have any ideas for how to get this file off the Cfast card

Thank you very much in advance!

Oct 30, 2017 at 02:16 PM
Mikehit
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 1DX Mark II Cfast Issue

From page 321 of the manual, any files >4GB can only be downloaded from the camera by using the CanonEOS Utility, not the camera file management.
Or you need to use a card reader. So if you do not have a CFast card reader you will need to download EOS Utility from the Canon website or from the disc if it was with the camera you rented.

4K recording is only possible on CFast which may explain what you see.

Oct 30, 2017 at 04:07 PM
Andrew J
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 1DX Mark II Cfast Issue

Edit the movie in camera to two files. You will then on the card have the full movie, part A, and part B. Part A and B should then copy to a PC.

Oct 30, 2017 at 06:11 PM
gt3rs
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 1DX Mark II Cfast Issue

Mikehit wrote:
From page 321 of the manual, any files >4GB can only be downloaded from the camera by using the CanonEOS Utility, not the camera file management.
Or you need to use a card reader. So if you do not have a CFast card reader you will need to download EOS Utility from the Canon website or from the disc if it was with the camera you rented.

4K recording is only possible on CFast which may explain what you see.

First get a USB3 CFast reader that is much faster and convenient. For emergency as Mikehit has written you can use the Canon EOS utility to copy the video files from the camera to the PC. I confirm that it works because I forgot once my CFast reader....

Up to 4k 30fps can be recorded on a CF card too assuming that is a fast enough CF. Above 4k 30fps only on CFast. Recoding video simultaneously on two cards is not allowed. I believe if you have a CFast card inserted the camera always defaults to the CFast for video.

Oct 31, 2017 at 03:38 AM
mb126
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 1DX Mark II Cfast Issue

Downloading via EOS utility worked, thank you everyone!

Oct 31, 2017 at 12:55 PM
kosin
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 1DX Mark II Cfast Issue

I'm glad it worked out!

Nov 08, 2017 at 10:55 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.