FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

end

Is Adorama for real?

butchM
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Is Adorama for real?

chez wrote:
Just seems to me like this is very disceptive practice on Adoramas part.

Deceptive? Really?

You are taking the word of the OP who has been a member of the forum for only a couple of days whose entire post history is contained in this single thread over the word of Helen, an official representative who has been helping Adorama customers here on FM for over a decade?

Something doesn't pass the smell test here.

Nov 01, 2017 at 04:48 PM
Etherton
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Is Adorama for real?

^ OP stated he was gonna list them here so we'll see the condition if he does. Other members have also commented on the low pricing practices, regardless if they are the higher online alternative, here and in prior threads. IF they did quote him $850 over the phone and halved it upon arrival, I would consider that deceptive. That is also assuming the gear is in as stated condition. At this point we don't know but to assume the OP is lying just because he is new is wrong as well.

As always, if you want the most for your used gear DO NOT USE online e-tailers. Sell them locally or here on FM (or similar). PayPal''s 3% is a drop in the bucket compared to losing 30-50%. Need a quick sale? Send it to one of the e-tailers.

Nov 01, 2017 at 05:15 PM
butchM
• • • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Is Adorama for real?

Etherton wrote:
... but to assume the OP is lying just because he is new is wrong as well.

No one ever said that ... I surely didn't. I was questioning the motivation by someone other than the OP attempt to paint a vendor with a wide negative brush when there was little to no evidence to do so.

While we shouldn't assume anything negative about the OP just because he is new ... we should also not label Adorama as 'deceptive' because someone had a bad experience. Jumping to conclusions (in either direction) is never good ... for anyone involved.

Based upon the fact that used equipment condition is mostly subjective, it's difficult for anyone to judge any single instance as either negative or positive.

Nov 01, 2017 at 05:24 PM
Etherton
• • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Is Adorama for real?

Whoops, you were quoting Chez.

I was not privileged to the phone conversation that is why I said "IF they quoted..." and if they did, it was deceptive (contingent on condition), IMO. Helen already stated she knows not much, if anything, about the used dept so this very well could be Adorama policy. I would guess she is already asking questions though...

Nov 01, 2017 at 05:43 PM
Helen Oster
• • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Is Adorama for real?

Etherton wrote:

I was not privileged to the phone conversation that is why I said "IF they quoted..." and if they did, it was deceptive (contingent on condition), IMO. Helen already stated she knows not much, if anything, about the used dept so this very well could be Adorama policy. I would guess she is already asking questions though...

ALL telephone estimates are based on customer description. If that customer description doesn't meet the strict criteria of the 2 or sometimes 3 technicians who actually physically examine and test the gear before rating and valuing it, the telephone estimate is meaningless.

Our primary business is selling imaging gear - rating that gear so customers can purchase from us with confidence that an E+ means an E+.........not an E with an over-inflated price tag so that someone selling it to us can get what he or she believes it is 'worth'.

I copied the OP's initial post to the used department, but as we have no record of anyone by the name of trulyours in our system there is nothing more to add. So actually, no. I'm not doing anything at all right now!

I've done as much as I can do, and said as much as I can say.

Nov 01, 2017 at 06:06 PM
butchM
• • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Is Adorama for real?

Etherton wrote:

IMO. Helen already stated she knows not much, if anything, about the used dept so this very well could be Adorama policy. I would guess she is already asking questions though...

IMO, after several explicit attempts by Helen for the OP to contact her directly to resolve the matter ... and the OP has not ... speaks volumes.

Nov 01, 2017 at 06:13 PM
trulyours

p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Is Adorama for real?

chez wrote:
Id personally would like to understand why the descrepency in pricing from the initial contact to when the gear is actually sent in. Just good to know how Adorama deals with used equipment. I know how KEH handles used as ive both bought and sold through them with good experience. If Adoramas actual price versus its original estimated price differs by so much...that would be valuable information to know and could save people a lot of headaches.

As it sits right now, it just looks like deceptive practices to get the customer to send in their used gear, then low ball
...Show more

I just emailed Helen with the quote number. My equipments are already on their way back, but let's see if she has a good answer for the discrepancy.

Nov 01, 2017 at 06:18 PM
Helen Oster
• • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Is Adorama for real?

trulyours wrote:
I just emailed Helen with the quote number. My equipments are already on their way back, but let's see if she has a good answer for the discrepancy.

Thank you. I will now be able to check it out

Nov 01, 2017 at 06:22 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

chez
• • • • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Is Adorama for real?

butchM wrote:
Deceptive? Really?

You are taking the word of the OP who has been a member of the forum for only a couple of days whose entire post history is contained in this single thread over the word of Helen, an official representative who has been helping Adorama customers here on FM for over a decade?

Something doesn't pass the smell test here.

But I've heard this same issue from multiple members...so something seems a miss here. Lowering the original quote by half would need a huge discrepancy about the condition of the gear. I guess we'll see what Helen's answer is as the OP has been in contact.

Nov 02, 2017 at 04:50 AM
chez
• • • • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Is Adorama for real?

butchM wrote:
IMO, after several explicit attempts by Helen for the OP to contact her directly to resolve the matter ... and the OP has not ... speaks volumes.

See below...that volume you speak about along with your implying that since the OP is new to FM...he isn't that trustworthy...really speaks volumes of your character as well.

I'll await Helen's reply here.

Oh...and your interest in this subject is what?

Nov 02, 2017 at 04:53 AM
chez
• • • • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Is Adorama for real?

trulyours wrote:

Yes...loved to hear the answer as the difference is original quote and revised quote is substantial.

Nov 02, 2017 at 04:55 AM
butchM
• • • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Is Adorama for real?

chez wrote:
See below...that volume you speak about along with your implying that since the OP is new to FM...he isn't that trustworthy...really speaks volumes of your character as well.

Unlike you, I didn't pre-judge the situation ... you made an accusation of deception by Adorama that was was based upon purely anecdotal evidence. I'm not saying the OP was untruthful, but misunderstandings can and do happen. Neither you or I were part of the phone conversation, though your first instinct was to convict Adorama of bad practice.

I merely pointed out that it was early in the process for anyone to determine the situation based upon the evidence at hand. My inclination was to wait and see before passing judgement.

I'll await Helen's reply here.

As will I.

Oh...and your interest in this subject is what?

I have no more or less vested interest in this discussion than you, sir.

Nov 02, 2017 at 05:25 AM
trulyours

p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Is Adorama for real?

I have an update!

I was pleasantly surprised when Adorama contacted me this morning, since it was just yesterday that I contacted Helen regarding this matter.

They are going to honor the initial quote of $850!

I wasn't going to contact Helen in the beginning, as I was preparing to sell on this forum instead, but I just wanted to put the fire out between chez and butchM And I am glad I did. Thanks, everyone!

Nov 02, 2017 at 08:31 PM
butchM
• • • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Is Adorama for real?

trulyours wrote:
I wasn't going to contact Helen in the beginning, as I was preparing to sell on this forum instead, but I just wanted to put the fire out between chez and butchM And I am glad I did. Thanks, everyone!

Don't worry about chez or myself, we are big boys and can fend for ourselves.

Though, I have to wonder why you were averse to allowing Helen the opportunity to solve the issue? If you had responded to her days ago ... I note that she first offered to help you less than 2 hours after you first enrolled in the forum and made your first post. That's a very responsive effort.

I have done business with Adorama for over 30 years (even longer with B&H and KEH) and while there may have been some issues on a couple occasions over the decades, they all have been more than willing to work out an amicable solution. It's good you have learned that lesson as well.

Nov 02, 2017 at 09:45 PM
chez
• • • • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Is Adorama for real?

trulyours wrote:
I have an update!

I was pleasantly surprised when Adorama contacted me this morning, since it was just yesterday that I contacted Helen regarding this matter.

They are going to honor the initial quote of $850!

Any indications why they changed their view regarding the condition of your equipment?

Nov 03, 2017 at 01:43 AM
       end

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password