New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Is Adorama for real?

trulyours

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Is Adorama for real?

I knew they were going to low-ball me, but not this bad.

I thought I would get rid of my 70D sitting in the closet. I have the complete kit with 18-55mm bundle lens plus a 50mm. It's in perfect condition with less than 2000 shutter count and all the accessories still in the box with a clean warranty card. I never took it outside my house because it's just too bulky for me. I knew I'd get less from a reseller, but I thought it would be less of a hassle.

MPB quoted me about $600 online.
Adorama quoted $850 over the phone.

I read on this forum about the sneaky game adorama plays with quoting the "market value" over the phone and the actual payout is about 70% of that. So it'd be about the same as MPB. Since I've bought from adorama before, I thought I'd go with them over MPB.

I packed up my equipment and sent them in. They finally contacted me with a real quote after two weeks, and...
$420
$420 for everything!!! They said everything together goes for $600 now, so $420 is a fair payout. On adorama currently, however, a used body alone is listed for $650.

I am having my stuff sent back. I will never buy from adorama again either. Hopefully the mpb quote will still stand, when I finally have my camera back.

Oct 30, 2017 at 04:44 PM
DanBrown
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Is Adorama for real?

Looks like B&H quote for this system is in the same ballpark as Adorama.

Oct 30, 2017 at 05:27 PM
anthonysemone
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Is Adorama for real?

KEH quotes 492 for your 70D if it is in Mint- condition; and 89 for your 18-55; there are more than one Canon 50 so it's hard to say what KEH will give you for it. In my experience, KEH has ALWAYS bought for more than has either BH or Adorama. I've had the experience of under rating my gear condition and have gotten back from them a note saying, we upgraded your condition and so we are giving you more $. Fine with me.

Oct 30, 2017 at 06:04 PM
trulyours

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Is Adorama for real?

anthonysemone wrote:
KEH quotes 492 for your 70D if it is in Mint- condition; and 89 for your 18-55; there are more than one Canon 50 so it's hard to say what KEH will give you for it. In my experience, KEH has ALWAYS bought for more than has either BH or Adorama. I've had the experience of under rating my gear condition and have gotten back from them a note saying, we upgraded your condition and so we are giving you more $. Fine with me.

I'm getting $442 for "Like New Minus" condition on KEH. Can I ask how you found $492? I appreciate your help

Oct 30, 2017 at 06:32 PM
Helen Oster
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Is Adorama for real?

trulyours wrote:
I knew they were going to low-ball me, but not this bad.

I thought I would get rid of my 70D sitting in the closet. I have the complete kit with 18-55mm bundle lens plus a 50mm. It's in perfect condition with less than 2000 shutter count and all the accessories still in the box with a clean warranty card. I never took it outside my house because it's just too bulky for me. I knew I'd get less from a reseller, but I thought it would be less of a hassle.

MPB quoted me about $600 online.
Adorama quoted $850 over the
...Show more

I appreciate your frustration, however, to compare the buying or selling prices with those of another retailer or the prices being displayed currently on the website doesn't actually work in this context, and this is why.

The Adorama used department get upwards of 1,800 pieces sent in for evaluation every week and at any given time there are 26 - 27,000 used items in the warehouse

The way the value is established is by using a calculation which takes into account the number of exact same units in the warehouse at the time of your trade; the average number of that same unit in stock over the past 6 months; the average selling price of the unit over the past 6 months and projected decreases in the pre-owned market in the coming months due to new models becoming available.

In addition, the selling prices on the website can only be a very ROUGH guide if you are trying to figure out how much the used department might be able to pay you for your gear.

When new models are released, the overall market tends to soften. Pre-owned units will usually drop in value, but the used department will still be looking to sell existing pre-owned stock (which may have been warehoused and therefore costing the company revenue for days, weeks or months) without making too great a loss on the price that was originally paid.

While you will be offered up to 70% of the current re-sale value (as calculated above), unless you are selling a genuine collectors' piece, in my experience you probably shouldn't expect to receive more than 55-65% of the price you see on our website. If you do, then itís a bonus.

All that being said, if you would like to email me: [email protected] with your quote number, I can certainly have the figures double-checked

Helen Oster
Adorama Camera

Edited on Nov 01, 2017 at 05:48 AM · View previous versions

Oct 30, 2017 at 07:25 PM
Etherton
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Is Adorama for real?

trulyours wrote:
Adorama quoted $850 over the phone.

This is the only problem I see. You received a high quote over the phone and now you've sent it in. Seems like someone is banking on it not being worth the hassle and you'll take the lower offer. Time and shipping wasted too.

OP, sell it on the FM boards.

Oct 30, 2017 at 07:54 PM
Helen Oster
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Is Adorama for real?

Etherton wrote:
This is the only problem I see. You received a high quote over the phone and now you've sent it in...... Time and shipping wasted too.

Adorama covers to back and forth shipping costs (fully insured); but I do appreciate the inconvenience and frustration.

Oct 30, 2017 at 07:57 PM
jbregar
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Is Adorama for real?

In my experience trading in to ANYONE is generally relatively frustrating. They're all trying to maximize the profit they can make off of your gear while also trying to play the market a bit so they don't get stuck with a bunch of 5D Mark IIIs when the 5D Mark IV comes out. So they lowball. It's par for the course.

Also, while we all love to get a camera with all of the case candy it comes with, that generally means jack diddly to a reseller like Adorama or KEH. They'll take it, sure, but it has very very little value to them.

Sell it yourself on eBay or here on the B&S if you want to maximize your return.

Oct 30, 2017 at 09:03 PM
chez
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Is Adorama for real?

Helen Oster wrote:
Adorama covers to back and forth shipping costs (fully insured); but I do appreciate the inconvenience and frustration.

How does Adorama come up with such a high price when in reality the actual price is much much lower...every time?

My understanding from the OP this equipment was in mint condition so it canít be because the condition caused the price to drop.

Seems to me they high ball the price to entice people to send in their gear then drastically drop that price in hopes the person will not want to deal with getting it sent back.

Oct 31, 2017 at 12:28 PM
Helen Oster
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Is Adorama for real?

How does Adorama come up with such a high price when in reality the actual price is much much lower...every time?

My understanding from the OP this equipment was in mint condition so it canít be because the condition caused the price to drop.

Seems to me they high ball the price to entice people to send in their gear then drastically drop that price in hopes the person will not want to deal with getting it sent back.

I have nothing to do with the valuation of equipment, nor do I see it. I can only think that one person's definition of excellent may not be another's?

BTW I'm told that they guarantee that they will beat any in writing price by B&H and KEH, even after a quote has been given.

Oct 31, 2017 at 12:42 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

trulyours

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Is Adorama for real?

chez wrote:

I agree with you. I have no problem getting them sent back though. Haha. They are indeed in mint condition. I will look into selling on this forum as many recommended. Hopefully the fees are lower than Amazon/eBay. Thanks for your thoughts, everyone!

Instead of having an employee jump at every post, maybe adorama should work on being truthful in the first place.

Oct 31, 2017 at 03:44 PM
Helen Oster
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Is Adorama for real?

trulyours wrote:
I agree with you. I have no problem getting them sent back though. Haha. They are indeed in mint condition. I will look into selling on this forum as many recommended. Hopefully the fees are lower than Amazon/eBay. Thanks for your thoughts, everyone!

Instead of having an employee jump at every post, maybe adorama should work on being truthful in the first place.

I apologise for your disatisfaction - I do not work in the used department and how they operate is not within my control; my role is only to support customers online, and I wouldn't be doing that job if I didn't respond to the postings.

As stated above, the used department will better any written offer from 2 of the other biggest retailers - or return your gear. If you need any help with this, please email me: [email protected]

Oct 31, 2017 at 03:54 PM
mitesh
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Is Adorama for real?

I recently received a quote for a used item from Adorama, and I can see how someone might possibly be thrown for a loop. For example, the email I received stated that my item has a value of approximately $X. After some explaining of contingencies such as condition, accessories, etc., the email further explained that Adorama may pay up to 70% of the value of the item. So, I can see that a seller might expect a quote of $X based on the stated value given by Adorama, or possibly expect 70% of what they perceive the market value of the gear to be (based on what they see it selling for), but in reality, Adorama is likely to only offer at best 70% of the stated value of $X.

I donít write this as a complaint of Adorama at all, just an observation which may or may not be applicable to the OPís situation.

Oct 31, 2017 at 06:15 PM
chez
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Is Adorama for real?

Helen Oster wrote:
I apologise for your disatisfaction - I do not work in the used department and how they operate is not within my control; my role is only to support customers online, and I wouldn't be doing that job if I didn't respond to the postings.

As stated above, the used department will better any written offer from 2 of the other biggest retailers - or return your gear. If you need any help with this, please email me: [email protected]

Since as you state that you represent us, why not dig into why Adoramaís decieving pricing approach is used. You speculate that there might be a differing of opinions on the condition of the gear...is this true as the OP States his equipment is in mint condition and to have such a price discrepancy, there must be a major difference in the condition from what the OP states and what Adorama states.

Just seems to me like this is very disceptive practice on Adoramas part.

Oct 31, 2017 at 08:37 PM
Helen Oster
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Is Adorama for real?

chez wrote:
Since as you state that you represent us, why not dig into why Adoramaís decieving pricing approach is used. You speculate that there might be a differing of opinions on the condition of the gear...is this true as the OP States his equipment is in mint condition and to have such a price discrepancy, there must be a major difference in the condition from what the OP states and what Adorama states.

Just seems to me like this is very disceptive practice on Adoramas part.

The OP has not contacted me.

Oct 31, 2017 at 08:42 PM
chez
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Is Adorama for real?

Helen Oster wrote:
The OP has not contacted me.

Iíd personally would like to understand why the descrepency in pricing from the initial contact to when the gear is actually sent in. Just good to know how Adorama deals with used equipment. I know how KEH handles used as iíve both bought and sold through them with good experience. If Adoramas actual price versus its original estimated price differs by so much...that would be valuable information to know and could save people a lot of headaches.

As it sits right now, it just looks like deceptive practices to get the customer to send in their used gear, then low ball them hoping they wonít go through the hassle of getting it shipped back.

Oct 31, 2017 at 09:03 PM
Helen Oster
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Is Adorama for real?

Iíd personally would like to understand why the descrepency in pricing from the initial contact to when the gear is actually sent in. Just good to know how Adorama deals with used equipment. I know how KEH handles used as iíve both bought and sold through them with good experience. If Adoramas actual price versus its original estimated price differs by so much...that would be valuable information to know and could save people a lot of headaches.

As it sits right now, it just looks like deceptive practices to get the customer to send in their used gear, then low ball them
...Show more

As stated above, the OP has not contacted me, so I have no way at all of knowing why the estimate given over the 'phone sight unseen differed so much from the quote once the gear was examined. It usually means that the seller's description of the gear was at odds with the expectations of our customers when they purchase E+ from Adorama's used department.
It is pointless to debate this further as neither of us knows the answer.

If you check the website: https://www.adorama.com/searchsite/default.aspx?SearchInfo=70d&sf=Price&st=de&category=1000100 you will see there are several 70D units, ranging in resale price eg $609 (E) $469 (E) $399 (E) $399 (E-)

70% of 609 = $426
70% of 469 = $328
70% of 399 = $279

I do hope this is useful in going some way to helping you to understand how the OP's quote may have been arrived at. But if you are still unhappy, you are more than welcome to email me directly: [email protected]

Edited on Nov 01, 2017 at 06:14 AM · View previous versions

Oct 31, 2017 at 09:07 PM
anthonysemone
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Is Adorama for real?

Sadly these days, Helen, pointlessness stimulates debate.

Keep the good work, Helen. You all have never let me down.

Oct 31, 2017 at 10:32 PM
Fred Amico
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Is Adorama for real?

anthonysemone wrote:
Sadly these days, Helen, pointlessness stimulates debate.

Keep the good work, Helen. You all have never let me down.

Yep, same here.

Oct 31, 2017 at 10:44 PM
DanBrown
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Is Adorama for real?

Helen Oster wrote:
It is pointless to debate this further as neither of us knows the answer.

Good for you, Helen.

ďI was gratified to be able to answer promptly. I said, "I don't know."Ē
- Mark Twain

Nov 01, 2017 at 03:17 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password