New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

BH-25 vs. BH-30

Ming-Tzu
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · BH-25 vs. BH-30

Looking for a ball head that weighs less than the BH-55, for purposes of hiking, travel and backpacking. I love RRS so looking at the BH-25 vs. BH-30, most likely the former because the 9 pounds load rating should be more than enough for my Canon mirrorless system. Plus, even if I use the 5d4, it would be paired with my 16-35 IS or 70-200 f4 IS.

Question is, does the BH-25 allow my tripod legs to close fully? I have the Gitzo 2545. Asked RRS and they confirmed the ball head fits on my tripod, but doesn't exactly answer my question about the legs closing fully with the ball head on.

Any real world user experiences with the BH-25 or BH-30?

Oct 30, 2017 at 04:41 PM
Roland W
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · BH-25 vs. BH-30

For a small head, I much prefer the BH-30 over the BH-25 because of the slightly better load capabilities, and the independent pan base that the BH-30 has. Not only is that useful for actual panoramic shots, but it also means the BH-30 "feels" like a larger head when you are aiming a shot. The BH-25 loosens both the pan action and the ball both at the same time when you loosen the knob.

For the fitting issue, if you do not worry about the legs closing down fully when reverse folded, then either head should work. But the BH-25 only has the single knob for locking both the ball and the pan action, which makes it much easier to position that knob between legs to get them closed further. As I remember, the knob locations on the BH-30 are oriented in a way to allow three legs of a traveler style tripod to simultaneously fold in between the two knobs.

Oct 30, 2017 at 04:59 PM
Ming-Tzu
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · BH-25 vs. BH-30

Thanks! I am concerned about the legs folding fully so maybe I can get the bh-30 with lever release so only one knob to worry about.

Roland W wrote:
For a small head, I much prefer the BH-30 over the BH-25 because of the slightly better load capabilities, and the independent pan base that the BH-30 has. Not only is that useful for actual panoramic shots, but it also means the BH-30 "feels" like a larger head when you are aiming a shot. The BH-25 loosens both the pan action and the ball both at the same time when you loosen the knob.

For the fitting issue, if you do not worry about the legs closing down fully when reverse folded, then either head should work. But the BH-25
...Show more

Oct 30, 2017 at 05:02 PM
Ming-Tzu
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · BH-25 vs. BH-30

Another option I forgot about is not getting the travel ball head at all, and use my RRS leveling base. I know it doesn't offer as much rotation as a traditional ball head, but not a bad option I don't think.

Oct 30, 2017 at 05:09 PM
peter_n
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · BH-25 vs. BH-30

The base diameter of the BH-30 is 40mm, but the OD of the ball housing is asymmetrical and about 1/3 of it is larger than that because of the bulge at the back. Plus you have the ball locking paddle. I think the diameter of the Gitzo center post base is 42mm so the BH-30 is a very good fit to that base.

It's a tossup whether you can spin the ballhead to a position where the legs fold back parallel to the center post; you'd have to try it I think. IMHO fold back legs are not that necessary, I got a short center post for my travel tripod shortly after I bought it 7 years ago and haven't folded back the legs since. I think the Gitzo 2545 comes with a short center post.

Oct 30, 2017 at 06:08 PM
uscmatt99
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · BH-25 vs. BH-30

I can't speak directly to the BH-30 and your Gitzo 2-series, but I have analogous experience with a Feisol 3441T which probably has a smaller spider than the Gitzo. I could fit the BH-25 that I still have, as well as Photoclam 38mm head, between the reverse-folded legs of my Feisol. The legs remained a bit splayed with the 38mm head, but the set still easily fit into the supplied tripod bag.

I use the BH-25 now with a Gitzo 1555TG with my Sony A7 mirrorless kits. It locks down well even with a front-heavy lens mounted. However there is no tension control and as mentioned no separate panning control. So when I'm using heavier adapted lenses I favor my Acratech GP-S or a flat out pano head with leveling base.

In your case, I'd only go with the BH-25 out of necessity for small size, otherwise with the BH-30.

Oct 30, 2017 at 06:28 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · BH-25 vs. BH-30

I have both the BH-25 and BH-30. Generally, I use the 25 on a Gitzo GT-0540 CF tripod, and the 30 on a Feisol CT-3441S. Generally, I prefer the 30, because it has an independent panning rotation clamp, but the BH-25 supports a full size DSLR with 70-200/2.8 lens, if it's well balanced.

Here's a couple of photos of the BH-30, in the backwards-folded, closed Feisol 3441S.

The last photo shows my latest gizmo, a Hejnar panning clamp, mounted on an inverted BH-25, which makes it a leveling, panorama head (shown without a pano rail).

jcolwell 2017

RRS BH-30 head on closed, back-folded Feisol 3441S

jcolwell 2017

Closeup, RRS BH-30 head on closed, back-folded Feisol 3441S

jcolwell 2017

Hejnar panning clamp, mounted on inverted RRS BH-25

Edited on Oct 31, 2017 at 12:40 PM · View previous versions

Oct 30, 2017 at 08:57 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Ming-Tzu
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · BH-25 vs. BH-30

I might stick with my RRS TA-U-LB leveling base. It weighs almost the same as the BH-30, but definitely less than the BH-55 that I carry now. I know it's not as flexible as a regular ball head and it definitely won't fit on my tripod with the legs closed, but I already have it and won't have to spend a few more hundred bucks on a need that the leveling base can fulfill.

Oct 30, 2017 at 09:35 PM
peter_n
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · BH-25 vs. BH-30

jcolwell wrote:
Here's a couple of photos of the BH-30, in the backwards-folded, closed Feisol 3441S.

Neat fit of the BH-30 on the Feisol!

Oct 31, 2017 at 12:22 PM
kdrk888
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · BH-25 vs. BH-30

Ming-Tzu wrote:
Looking for a ball head that weighs less than the BH-55, for purposes of hiking, travel and backpacking. I love RRS so looking at the BH-25 vs. BH-30, most likely the former because the 9 pounds load rating should be more than enough for my Canon mirrorless system. Plus, even if I use the 5d4, it would be paired with my 16-35 IS or 70-200 f4 IS.

Question is, does the BH-25 allow my tripod legs to close fully? I have the Gitzo 2545. Asked RRS and they confirmed the ball head fits on my tripod, but doesn't exactly answer my
...Show more

I use BH-30 on the Gitzo GT2545T (traveler). The legs can't be fully folded, see pictures.

Nov 01, 2017 at 02:31 AM
Ming-Tzu
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · BH-25 vs. BH-30

Thanks for the pictures. That's the same exact tripod I have. Maybe I'll just go with the bh-25

kdrk888 wrote:
I use BH-30 on the Gitzo GT2545T (traveler). The legs can't be fully folded, see pictures.

Nov 01, 2017 at 02:33 AM
kdrk888
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · BH-25 vs. BH-30

Ming-Tzu wrote:
Thanks for the pictures. That's the same exact tripod I have. Maybe I'll just go with the bh-25

But normally I don't fold the legs in reverse like that, so it's a non-issue for me.

Nov 01, 2017 at 02:55 AM
Ming-Tzu
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · BH-25 vs. BH-30

When I travel solo, I normally only travel without two backpacks so having ball head and tripod fit together and placed in the mesh side pocket is ideal for saving space inside the pack.

kdrk888 wrote:
But normally I don't fold the legs in reverse like that, so it's a non-issue for me.

Nov 01, 2017 at 03:12 AM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password