Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Looking for a new portrait lens, advice?

JohnVH
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Looking for a new portrait lens, advice?

I dont have a dedicated close up lens, like a quality one, but I do have a budget, I have a nifty fifty, but looking for something else, maybe with a little zoom?

Looking for recommendations, for my old canon 30D

Oct 30, 2017 at 04:32 PM
Jeff Nolten
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Looking for a new portrait lens, advice?

I would suggest looking at the last few pages of this thread. I posted some examples of EF-S close-ups. Not the world's best but might give you some ideas. I'd go to The Digital Picture lens quality tool for better lens comparisons.

Don't know what lenses you have or what you are really looking for. Zoom macro? How close? Of the Canon lenses the 100L is probably the best all around. For EF-S the new 35 STM is relatively cheap and light and the 60 macro has been around a while but is an excellent lens. For close capable zooms, the 55-250 STM would be my suggestion.

Edit: I missed portrait lens when I replied. I'll add that the 60 macro is a nice portrait lens near the 100mm equivalent focal length. Maybe the 35 f2 IS?

Edited on Oct 30, 2017 at 05:20 PM · View previous versions

Oct 30, 2017 at 04:47 PM
JohnVH
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Looking for a new portrait lens, advice?

I was thinking in the 35-50 range. Would like a decent quality one.

Thanks

Oct 30, 2017 at 04:59 PM
Mike_5D
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Looking for a new portrait lens, advice?

A close up (macro?) lens or a portrait lens? The nifty 50 on a crop should take fine portraits since you'll get the same composition as an 80mm lens on full frame, which is the classic portrait focal length.

Oct 30, 2017 at 05:02 PM
scalesusa
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Looking for a new portrait lens, advice?

JohnVH wrote:
I dont have a dedicated close up lens, like a quality one, but I do have a budget, I have a nifty fifty, but looking for something else, maybe with a little zoom?

Looking for recommendations, for my old canon 30D

I don't get the question. You say portrait lens in the topic and close up in your post.

Assuming you want a portrait lens, what are you willing to spend?

To get a fast zoom that is better than the 50, and covers the portrait focal lengths for a crop of 50-100mm, you are going to need to fork out a lot of $$.

You could get a used 5D MK II FF body and a 85mm f/1.8 for the price of the Sigma 50-100mm f/1.8 DC HSM Art Lens. They run ~1100, maybe less on sale. Read the reviews, I have not.

Oct 30, 2017 at 05:05 PM
mikeinctown
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Looking for a new portrait lens, advice?

Since you are just using an old camera, I would suggest the 85 1.8. It is less than $300 used and will get you some nice photos. As you already have the 50 that would be next on my list. After that it would be a 35 2.0 as mentioned above.

Oct 30, 2017 at 05:46 PM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Looking for a new portrait lens, advice?

EF-S 60mm Macro
Brilliant for portraits, brilliant for macro

Oct 30, 2017 at 06:50 PM
TeamSpeed
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Looking for a new portrait lens, advice?

Sigma 17-35 f1.8 or Canon 17-55 f2.8 IS

Oct 30, 2017 at 07:13 PM
Cadaver
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Looking for a new portrait lens, advice?

You mention the need for a close up lens, so I think the 60mm 2.8 macro might be perfect, as it's very nice for portraits as well. It's the sharpest lens I own and that includes 7 far more expensive L lenses.

Oct 30, 2017 at 07:28 PM
tsangc
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Looking for a new portrait lens, advice?

dhphoto wrote:
EF-S 60mm Macro
Brilliant for portraits, brilliant for macro

A second vote for the EF-s 60mm. I had the opportunity to use one for several weeks shooting some product images and was surprised how good it was.

Oct 31, 2017 at 02:05 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

AmbientMike
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Looking for a new portrait lens, advice?

I use the 55-250 IS a LOT, on my 30D. It gets closer than a 1:2 macro does on ff. I use it for my niece and nephew, too.

Maybe not highest absolute quality, but it's a really nice, usable lens. Af seems accurate, if not fast. With tele it doesn't hurt to shoot a few extra, since a small focus error can hurt sharpness.

I really like it.

That and the STM version, which is supposed to be better, are inexpensive used.

Edited on Oct 31, 2017 at 02:43 AM · View previous versions

Oct 31, 2017 at 02:15 AM
AmbientMike
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Looking for a new portrait lens, advice?

Another one I liked: 18-135 IS. The STM is supposed to be better. On mine, af was somewhat useless wider than 35mm, but a great zoom range.

There are also 35mm primes, but I usually like 50mm or longer on aps for portraits.

Are you having trouble with the 50mm? Af isn't the best at wide apertures, but the iq isn't bad.

Oct 31, 2017 at 02:32 AM
Mar73
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Looking for a new portrait lens, advice?

JohnVH wrote:
I was thinking in the 35-50 range. Would like a decent quality one.

Thanks

Take a look at the Sigma 17-50 f2.8 EX OS. I own it and it is "decent quality" and around $300. The Canon version is said to be better but you will pay twice as much. Also, if you are open to primes you could add a Canon 24mm STM for a 35mm FF equivalent. I also like my 85mm f1.8 on a crop but it's a little longer than you want. Let us know what you decide.

Oct 31, 2017 at 02:57 AM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Looking for a new portrait lens, advice?

tsangc wrote:
A second vote for the EF-s 60mm. I had the opportunity to use one for several weeks shooting some product images and was surprised how good it was.

I use mine at least a couple of times a week for business portraits when I don't need full frame IQ, it's a really good lens and a great portrait length on a crop camera.

Oct 31, 2017 at 04:32 PM
JohnVH
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Looking for a new portrait lens, advice?

17-55 sounds like a good range, primes make me worry about not being able to get closer or farther if I need to...

Sorry my question is not clearer, I usually just use my 70-200 on airplanes and big stuff. So anything in the same room as me is what I call close up. haha.

Oct 31, 2017 at 04:36 PM
Jeff Nolten
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Looking for a new portrait lens, advice?

The 17-55 f2.8 IS is probably a good choice for your needs. I have the 15-85 lens which is also good but its slower, f3.5-5.6.

Oct 31, 2017 at 05:49 PM
AmbientMike
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Looking for a new portrait lens, advice?

JohnVH wrote:
17-55 sounds like a good range, primes make me worry about not being able to get closer or farther if I need to...

Sorry my question is not clearer, I usually just use my 70-200 on airplanes and big stuff. So anything in the same room as me is what I call close up. haha.

Oh, ok, I thought you meant macro. Have you considered the 18-35/1.8 sigma, or the 12-28/4 Tokina?

The Tokina is a bit wider than you wanted, but at 45mm ff equivalent, that would probably be a good complement to the 50mm.

It's supposed to be really sharp, and is apparently an 18-28mm on ff! B+H has them on sale, if that's an option.

I've used the 18-135 indoors at iso 1600 and with the IS it was pretty good, I was happy with it. I mostly used 50-85mm.

Have you tried your 18-55? I've had good luck with those, actually. The 28-135 might be good, too, I'd try it.

Nov 02, 2017 at 03:54 AM
johnctharp
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Looking for a new portrait lens, advice?

The 50/1.8 STM pretty resolutely fills this need- I know it's 'another' nifty-fifty, but wide-open contrast has been improved with newer coatings, AF is more accurate, it now has seven rounded aperture blades for better background rendering, and the lens has been improved to focus closer.

Having owned the 50/1.8 II, the new STM lens is a pretty big jump in performance, for the same basic price.

Beyond that: try looking at Sigma's latest 17-70/2.8-4 | Art. It's more modern than their own (or Canon's or Tamron's) 17-5x/2.8 lens and focuses closer, while being lighter and more compact.

Nov 02, 2017 at 06:50 AM
jellerose

p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Looking for a new portrait lens, advice?

I used to LOVE my 85 1.8 on my 30d. I tended to use the 50 1.4 more in studio and it did a great job but the 85 could be magic, especially for outdoor portraits.

When my daughter was shooting my 7d she wanted 50mm and tried the 1.4 but ended up liking the 50 1.8 stm just as well at a lower price. If your budget can stretch to the 1.8 stm AND the 85 1.8 I think you'd be happy with the variety.

We now have the 50 1.2 and it's a heck of a lot more expensive but is worth it on the cameras we now have. That 30d and less expensive lenses served me well for many years of paid portrait work though!

Nov 02, 2017 at 01:50 PM
scalesusa
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Looking for a new portrait lens, advice?

Jeff Nolten wrote:
The 17-55 f2.8 IS is probably a good choice for your needs. I have the 15-85 lens which is also good but its slower, f3.5-5.6.

Its a excellent lens and matches your 70-200 well. The price has dropped enough to make them a excellent buy.

Nov 02, 2017 at 02:02 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password