FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

Future of Wedding Photography

LeeSimms
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Future of Wedding Photography

> The pricing pressures will be felt by those playing it safe since most of the work ends up looking the same.

Maybe it's a marketing game. Show instagram-filter fisheye shots on your website, then deliver safe-safe to the client (so you don't get the dreaded 'my arms look fat' eMail).

Oct 31, 2017 at 02:21 PM
Mark_L
• • • •
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Future of Wedding Photography

ZachOly wrote:
I don't see smartphones impacting the hiring of a wedding photographer. So I don't understand our fixation on this point. People still see the value in hiring a professional, especially for an event as important (and expensive) as a wedding.

My future prediction is that we're going to see a split between hiring a big personality who shoots with a very specific look vs. hiring a random who does consistently safe, but good work. The pricing pressures will be felt by those playing it safe since most of the work ends up looking the same.

I agree and think people are fixated (no one is putting phone pics in albums for example) but I do think they affect hiring but they affecting the perception of photography.

Some recent examples:
I have a new gf, female friend wants to see a a pic, I think she'll just look at the one I've opened but instantly zooms swiping right and is somewhat surprised when she hits the end and there are only 3.

A new non-photog person I know says 's interested in my fashion work. Give him my url. Guy blasts through my entire portfolio online (22 images) in probably 3s.

I've also come across people that only like phone pics of themselves since the noise and blockiness in low light hides things well and takes to heavy makeup.

Oct 31, 2017 at 02:33 PM
LeeSimms
• • • •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Future of Wedding Photography

^ Stuff like this. Don't think for a moment I'm scared about DIY phone photography replacing our service, but if you're speaking of 'Future of Wedding Photography' you have to look at how our relationship with photography has changed. You can't talking about 2020 while you're living in 2010.

Oct 31, 2017 at 02:44 PM
Tony Hoffer
• • • • •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · Future of Wedding Photography

ZachOly wrote:
I don't see smartphones impacting the hiring of a wedding photographer. So I don't understand our fixation on this point. People still see the value in hiring a professional, especially for an event as important (and expensive) as a wedding.

Even if it doesn't effect someone hiring a photographer (I actually do think that's going to happen eventually), it definitely effects a lot of the actions and interactions associated with it. Someone that's 35 acts pretty differently in front of a camera and has different expectations than someone that's 25.

We shoot for a lot of universities and high schools and those students definitely act differently in front of the camera than students did even 5 years ago. I actually like the change and think it's better now, but if someone isn't paying attention and adjusting for these societal changes, they'll start falling behind. Just my opinion of course.

Oct 31, 2017 at 02:48 PM
TheyCallMeJ
• •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · Future of Wedding Photography

Speaking of behavioural analysis, I recommend everyone to look into Mouseflow. Very cool product that allows to visually track how visitors browse your website. It is like standing there, right next to the individual, recording every scroll and mouse click.

Actually it feels downright creepy, but that's how I like it.

Those visiting via my Adwords campaigns are clearly identified, I know exactly how much time they spent browsing my website (looking at what pages and which pictures). No surprise, those who do spend time reading my ad copy will convert by reaching out. The majority however, plows through the content. Might be another photographer clicking my ads or a bride suffering from attention deficit disorder.

The information helps me in many ways:

- Google is bringing in poor traffic, fine tune my campaigns or simply pause them;

- Making changes to my website;

- Study what the potential bride liked on my website prior in calling back;

Needlessly to say, those who don't even have a website can't leverage such powerful tool. Have fun putting all your eggs on social media. I draw the line by never referring any vendor (MUA, DJ, videographer) who can't even afford a proper website and domain name for e-mail.

No offence but I won't ask my clients to contact you at [email protected]

Oct 31, 2017 at 03:35 PM
BSPhotog
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · Future of Wedding Photography

ZachOly wrote:
snip

I don't disagree with this.

Oct 31, 2017 at 03:43 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

DannyBostwick
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · Future of Wedding Photography

Tony Hoffer wrote:
Even if it doesn't effect someone hiring a photographer (I actually do think that's going to happen eventually), it definitely effects a lot of the actions and interactions associated with it. Someone that's 35 acts pretty differently in front of a camera and has different expectations than someone that's 25.

We shoot for a lot of universities and high schools and those students definitely act differently in front of the camera than students did even 5 years ago. I actually like the change and think it's better now, but if someone isn't paying attention and adjusting for these societal changes,
...Show more

iPhones are part of a wedding day. There is no getting around it, they're here to say. I think that while it's perhaps not as aesthetically pleasing as someone looking on longingly, it's they're way of being present and wanting to remember a moment. I'm guilty of it myself. I went to a wedding for the first time as a guest in about 10 years this summer and I snap chatted and instagram storied the whole damn day. Guess what, it was the highlight of my summer and I look back at the images I took with joy. I also really enjoyed the images at the photographer made. In my opinion the 2 are mutually exclusive and used for different purposes.

Oct 31, 2017 at 03:45 PM
Mark_L
• • • •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · Future of Wedding Photography

The other big thing not yet discussed: video

Oct 31, 2017 at 03:51 PM
Ziffl3
• • • • •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · Future of Wedding Photography

The down side to video is you can’t hold a video like a picture.
I still see this type of thinking from my B&G.

I jump over to the Indian weddings..... they generally all have video.

Fun to see the difference.
I would say most of this is driven by economics status paired with family influences to a lesser degree.

-mark

Oct 31, 2017 at 06:52 PM
Mark_L
• • • •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · Future of Wedding Photography

DannyBostwick wrote:
I went to a wedding for the first time as a guest in about 10 years this summer and I snap chatted and instagram storied the whole damn day. Guess what, it was the highlight of my summer and I look back at the images I took with joy.

'ave a word with yourself m8

j/k I think the most important point is "I look back at the images I took" when most people just seem to take pictures ate these events with phones and never look at them. One person has their phone out and then it's like "omg must take picture or I miss out!!!111"

Oct 31, 2017 at 07:44 PM
Jay_Be
• • •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · Future of Wedding Photography

Tony Hoffer wrote:
I think everything is moving faster now. Posing and lighting are less formal. Someone who’s 25 has had a smart phone since they were 15. They’re comfortable in front of a camera, but their perception of quality is different. The low bar is higher, the high bar is lower. Realizing that and not griping about it are the first steps to evolving. Once you can understand these things, making changes is easier.

It’s hard to predict 5 years from now, except to say that this people will have been around smart phones since they were 10. Photography means something different
...Show more

Thanks for the response and I agree with your reasoning.

Oct 31, 2017 at 10:22 PM
1       2      
       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password