Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Question for all Sony wedding photographers

duet
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Question for all Sony wedding photographers

Hi, I use Nikon and recently became very interested in switching my system to Sony. A9 sounds like a camera I wanted for a long time for a mirrorless camera. One question to all you Sony shooters, how well does it AF in dark reception ballroom and what kind of flash system are you currently using with your Sony? Thank you in advance!

Oct 30, 2017 at 02:26 PM
ZachOly
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Question for all Sony wedding photographers

I can't answer your question directly. But I'd advise that you try out the AF for yourself in the store.

I remember then the Fuji X-T1 came out and people on this very forum said it had better AF than the Nikon D4. So I ended up getting loaner directly from Fuji HQ with a bunch of lenses. The AF was total garbage and unusable for much of the wedding day. I couldn't believe the glowing reports I was reading compared to my experiences with the camera.

Oct 30, 2017 at 02:41 PM
sungphoto
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Question for all Sony wedding photographers

If you're used to the grid-type af beam on a dslr when shooting dark reception dancefloor photos, then the Sonys will be a little frustrating potentially (this is my experience with the A7ii and A7rii, I haven't shot a wedding with the A9). I was using an A7rii with GM 24-70 f2.8 and godox tt685s, and AF-S was the only really acceptable focus mode in that kind of lighting and even then I was waiting a solid 1-3 seconds depending on how little contrast there was with the subject(s) for focus lock.

Strobe shooting both on and off camera continues to be a bit of an achilles heel with mirrorless cameras, as the little on-camera red flashlight isn't nearly as effective - especially with low contrast subjects like say a completely white wedding dress, or a mostly dark suit, which I'd say is a pretty important thing to be able to focus on during a wedding.

Before you spend a bunch of money switching, I'd keep your nikon kit for now and get something like an A6300 and use it as an auxiliary camera for a wedding to test it out, along with the godox tt685s. It might dispel your GAS I'd also add that the speedlite and off camera trigger feet for Sony is a horrible design - I've broken no less than 3 feet because they are made of plastic. I'd be irate if I was an A9 shooter and was experiencing some of the loose hotshoe issues that are being reported as well.

Sony is making some amazing cameras, especially if you shoot primarily in available light, but there's a reason why wedding photographers are still predominantly canon and nikon shooters. You might also keep in mind that if you occasionally take on second shooting gigs, that a lot of pro wedding photogs I know don't really take you seriously if your kit is mirrorless. One of the biggest NJ/NY area wedding studios I know only hires associates/second shooters that use full frame DSLRs.

Oct 30, 2017 at 08:00 PM
FFaccount

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Question for all Sony wedding photographers

ZachOly is right. Rent it and try it out.

Also, don't waste your time on other Sony cameras. The A9 is the answer if it comes to low light AF. Here the rules are pretty simple. Chose a lens with decent AF-motors. Don't chose small focus areas if it's really dark. The bigger the zone the better the A9. The A9 can do an amazing job focusing in low light.

PS: A lot of speedlight work might be the only reason to chose a A7R III

Oct 30, 2017 at 09:18 PM
MRomine
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Question for all Sony wedding photographers

FFaccount wrote:
PS: A lot of speedlight work might be the only reason to chose a A7R III

Why, what is your thinking behind that?

Oct 30, 2017 at 10:04 PM
mikethevilla
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Question for all Sony wedding photographers

Godox. I'd shoot it regardless of camera system (which is kind of amazing because you can). It's such an awesome flash system.

Oct 30, 2017 at 11:33 PM
duet
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Question for all Sony wedding photographers

mikethevilla wrote:
Godox. I'd shoot it regardless of camera system (which is kind of amazing because you can). It's such an awesome flash system.

I do like their flash, I do have one actually for my external flash. But one thing I hate about it is its AF assist beam. It is so pronounced and videographers I work with really hate it.

Oct 31, 2017 at 04:16 AM
wenkanzhu
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Question for all Sony wedding photographers

For low light focusing, a7RII/a6500 works great in reception if there is some mood lighting added. No matter LED floor light or Christmas light. I always use af-c so no assist beam. a9/a7RIII is reported one stop better than a7RII so I guess it should work in dark ballroom without those mood light.

Oct 31, 2017 at 04:42 AM
mikethevilla
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Question for all Sony wedding photographers

duet wrote:
I do like their flash, I do have one actually for my external flash. But one thing I hate about it is its AF assist beam. It is so pronounced and videographers I work with really hate it.

Lucky you (and all of us), mirrorless cameras don't use AF assist beams. I'm not sure on the specifics as to why, but for some reason no mirrorless cameras are able to use AF assist beams that are built into flashes. It's one of the more annoying aspects of them.

Oct 31, 2017 at 06:02 AM
mikethevilla
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Question for all Sony wedding photographers

wenkanzhu wrote:
For low light focusing, a7RII/a6500 works great in reception if there is some mood lighting added. No matter LED floor light or Christmas light. I always use af-c so no assist beam. a9/a7RIII is reported one stop better than a7RII so I guess it should work in dark ballroom without those mood light.

These are definitely very different results than what I'm getting with an A7Rii and A6300. I would say dance floor focus is "adequate", but that's about it. For most receptions it's not a big issue (although it's not fast). For any that are on the darker side of "normal" for a wedding reception, it can get pretty rough.

Oct 31, 2017 at 06:05 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

BKphotography
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Question for all Sony wedding photographers

ZachOly wrote:
I can't answer your question directly. But I'd advise that you try out the AF for yourself in the store.

I remember then the Fuji X-T1 came out and people on this very forum said it had better AF than the Nikon D4. So I ended up getting loaner directly from Fuji HQ with a bunch of lenses. The AF was total garbage and unusable for much of the wedding day. I couldn't believe the glowing reports I was reading compared to my experiences with the camera.

Who said that?

Nov 01, 2017 at 09:34 AM
3catsinky
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Question for all Sony wedding photographers

The A9 is a fabulous wedding camera! I have enjoyed using it since I got it, and have shot it in a variety of conditions. I've had no issue with the A9's AF in darker environments, as the camera body as it's own AF assist beam. I am also using the Godox TT685s with it. It's been one of the best pieces of gear I've ever purchased, and I have bought a lot of shit over the years.

Nov 01, 2017 at 09:13 PM
ZachOly
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Question for all Sony wedding photographers

3catsinky wrote:
The A9 is a fabulous wedding camera! I have enjoyed using it since I got it, and have shot it in a variety of conditions. I've had no issue with the A9's AF in darker environments, as the camera body as it's own AF assist beam. I am also using the Godox TT685s with it. It's been one of the best pieces of gear I've ever purchased, and I have bought a lot of shit over the years.

Please. Stop. Talking. About. How. Good. The. A9. Is.

It's $6700 Canadain. I have a newborn on the way in two weeks. And once sleep deprived, I can make impulsive choices

Nov 01, 2017 at 10:42 PM
BSPhotog
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Question for all Sony wedding photographers

ZachOly wrote:
Please. Stop. Talking. About. How. Good. The. A9. Is.

It's $6700 Canadain. I have a newborn on the way in two weeks. And once sleep deprived, I can make impulsive choices

Your cameras might be expensive up there, but at least you've got your healthcare a little more worked out. And you've got Trudeau, he seems cool.

Nov 02, 2017 at 12:04 AM
LeeSimms
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Question for all Sony wedding photographers

> but at least you've got your healthcare a little more worked out

In the US, you can be as successful in business as you want but in the end the doctors take it all

Nov 02, 2017 at 12:47 AM
MRomine
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Question for all Sony wedding photographers

LeeSimms wrote:
> but at least you've got your healthcare a little more worked out

In the US, you can be as successful in business as you want but in the end the doctors take it all

Except for what the tax man gets first.

Nov 02, 2017 at 01:19 AM
gnjphotography
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Question for all Sony wedding photographers

Europe is worse on taxes. In Italy it is about 40% income tax and 22% vat or sales tax. That is how they pay for their health care. The other thing to be aware of is the average time to get an appointment is 2 months even if it is critical and the quality of care is not what you are used to in America. It is kind of like Nikon vs. Sony, grass is always greener on the other side until you get there.

-Greg
MRomine wrote:
Except for what the tax man gets first.

Nov 02, 2017 at 06:33 AM
3catsinky
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Question for all Sony wedding photographers

Open enrollment was a rather pleasant surprise for me, i was expecting the worst. Now I may be able to add the A7RIII to my bag later this spring

Nov 02, 2017 at 11:16 AM
Ken_Cravillion
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Question for all Sony wedding photographers

I used a pair of A7RII's for 30 weddings last year and 2 or three at the beginning of this year. There were times where it would miss focus but wasn't any more different than the 5D3's I used to shoot.

I've also had a pair of A9's since they came out at the end of May and those are miles ahead of the A7RII as far as AF and general speed. It's to the point where it feels like cheating as I can use Eye-AF for the processional and recessional even in churches with shitty lighting. I've also started using continuous Eye-AF for first and parent dances with success. And when Eye-AF fails to lock I'll just resort to standard Lock On continuous AF. It works! With the latest firmware update I get Eye-AF with my Sigma 135mm (even in continuous) and Canon 200mm f2. And I'll get it with the Nikkor 105mm f1.4 that is arriving today.

Nov 02, 2017 at 01:31 PM
FFaccount

p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Question for all Sony wedding photographers

MRomine wrote:
Why, what is your thinking behind that?

The A9 does only 5 FPS with a speedlight, the A7R III keeps the 10FPS with a speedlight. But more important AF performance using the mechanical shutter suffers on the A9 not so on the A7R III

Nov 02, 2017 at 04:24 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password