https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4498/37321895974_e44ffd80a3_h.jpg

Canon 5D 24-70mm f/2.8L USM @ ƒ/9.0 24 mm 1/200sec iso100 exp. comp. -1/3

Edited on Oct 30, 2017 at 09:53 AM · View previous versions

Oct 30, 2017 at 12:12 AM
douter
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · cold water

Is there really such a thing as an obsolete camera? Maybe if film is no longer available for it in any form. Really like this tranquil scene R.H.
Douglas

Oct 30, 2017 at 07:15 AM
R.H. Johnson
• • • •
[X]
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · cold water

Douglas agreed. this shot of The Grossmünster Church on the Limmat River was shot with the original 5D and a 24-70mm f2.8l in Zurich, Switzerland 2007. back then i deemed the entire sequence of shots from Zurich not usable because of the flat opaque non-detailed skies.

back then i adhered to the shoot to the left philosophy. thank God i did so. shooting -1/3 exposure comp. preserved the detail in the flat sky's highlights, while protecting the shadows. the post software at my disposal back the was not capable of pulling the data preserved in those highlights.

i purchased DxO PhotoLab to enhance PP for large format printing. however, while running the software though the mills on some of my older images i soon discovered Clear View. what an interesting tool. CV could pull the detail from flat skies. combined with the graduated neutral density filter tool one can enhance images that were once not usable by my standards.

Oct 30, 2017 at 09:44 AM
bcguy
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · cold water

Heyyyyy, what are you calling an 'obsolete camera?' I use a 5D too. Nice photo.

Nov 21, 2017 at 09:00 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · cold water

Obsolete ... not even remotely close.

Processing looks a bit too aggressive in your sharpening / USM. It looks crunchy in certain areas of structure, and with the soft lighting ... it can be an incongruent, tell-tale sign against your PP. Might want to pull back or revise your USM for the different areas of structure.

Nov 21, 2017 at 10:26 PM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · cold water

I loved my 5D. Great look which, despite its limitations, I prefer to the Mark II. And it is neat to see how newer tools for processing bring new life or at least acceptability to older images.
I am with Kent (RustyBug) on the sharpening issue. I kept wondering if there was a bit of chunky, sharp ice formation in the center of the water!

Scott

Nov 22, 2017 at 10:10 AM
R.H. Johnson
• • • •
[X]
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · cold water

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4498/37321895974_16885cf4e3_h.jpg

hope this tones down the USM. i saved this as a DxO jpeg only. now that i'm getting the hang of DxO i must change my workflow. stop saving as JPEG only. that is killing me when i have to change the finished file.

Nov 22, 2017 at 01:18 PM

FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.