Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Anyone ever sell prints at a street fair...

Michaelparris
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Anyone ever sell prints at a street fair...

If so, got any advice.

Oct 30, 2017 at 03:40 AM
Mr.Gale
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Anyone ever sell prints at a street fair...

I've been do shows for more than 30 years but never as a full time job. If you have a large body of outstanding images professionally presented that you are willing to sell for a reasonable price you can do okay. Back in the days of film consumers didn't take a lot of pictures, because of the expense, so were more willing to buy photography at the art shows. Today there are consumers that will still buy but now days, everyone is a photographer so the prospective buyers have diminished, I've seen photos enlarged from an iPhone that aren't bad, not to my standard but not bad.
Do a small show and see what happens!

Mr.Gale

Oct 30, 2017 at 06:09 AM
Michaelparris
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Anyone ever sell prints at a street fair...

thank you...

Oct 30, 2017 at 04:38 PM
njfantastico
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Anyone ever sell prints at a street fair...

I have. I got a booth four times at two different events, two years in a row.

Made an order from my lab to get 8x10's, 11x14's and a few odd sizes.

My pitch - NO INKJET, Lab processed Fuji print, small run of images that were numbered and signed. Kept my prices low enough so that i would sell out.

Both events were 3 day weekend events. Sold out by late in the day on Sunday.

Booth fee around $400, had a lab bill of around $600, made about 5k pure profit.

I'd say it's worth it.

Nov 09, 2017 at 08:33 PM
jecottrell
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Anyone ever sell prints at a street fair...

njfantastico wrote:
I have.

Do you mind sharing...

Pricing on prints by size?

Types of images vs. popularity (travel? local interest?) ?

Mounting?

Thanks

Nov 10, 2017 at 02:19 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

njfantastico
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Anyone ever sell prints at a street fair...

No mounting, keep it SUPER SIMPLE!

Either buy bags or get an industrial box of cling wrap from Sam's, Costco. etc. I would suggest a thin cardboard backer. Print, backer, wrap it up. Have them pre-wrapped before coming to the event. I chose bags as the cling wrap sticks to the next wrapped print. I have an impact sealer that i use to close them up/seal them with. Bags from Uline, impact sealer from Ebay.

Images - I have 60% of the images are from my area in general. Barns, fields, landscapes, river, architecture, etc. I may print 15 - 25 - 8x10's, 10 - 11x14's of the same item, number all the prints, keep the run very small and never repeat the series if it sells out. Sell from the top down, if you have a great run on a certain photo, know you need to return to the same location to get new ones. Keep your runs small, people like getting limited run prints.

Most people are interested in local photos, SO the last 35% should be stuff that is local to that area, again small runs.

Last 5% can be odd ball stuff.

I never do bigger prints than 16x20's. I always place those into a tube. Everything HAS TO BE easy to carry. You want them to pay and walk away with the prints, no shipping.

I use a local lab, NO INKJET! Don't skimp on your prints. Provide a great product at a great price. I pay 84 cents for a lab made 8x10 and $2 for an 11x14

8x10 luster print raw costs - $.84 for the print, cardboard, plastic bag, metallic sharpie for signing, etc. $.10 = $.94 I charge $5

11x14 - $2 for the print, cardboard, plastic bag, metallic sharpie for signing, etc. $.10 = $2.10 and I charge $10

16x20 - luster - $11 for the print, cardboard, plastic bag, metallic sharpie for signing, etc. $.10 =$11.10 and I charge $20

I keep it as simple as possible! My competition was charging $20 for an 8x10 inkjet print, printed on the spot, bagged and handed the print to the customer. The couple was using low end printers with second hand crap ink. They admitted that they walked away with $1000 on the same weekend. The following year, they returned, a few dozen of their customers returned to their booth and wanted their money back as the print had faded 90% and was horrible.

I offer a one year warranty on all prints. I have never had a single person ask for a reprint. The following year i had a bunch of repeat customers.

Credit card payments - I charge $1 more for CC payments on a single print, no CC fee for customers getting 2 or more prints.

I ONLY put out two 8x10's of each image at a time, restock as soon as i get a break OR when i can. Keeps the selection vast, keeps everyone happy.

What else can i answer?

Pricing on prints by size?

Types of images vs. popularity (travel? local interest?) ?

Mounting?

Nov 10, 2017 at 03:17 PM
jecottrell
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Anyone ever sell prints at a street fair...

njfantastico wrote:
What else can i answer?

Lots of great info. Thanks for taking the time to share.

Nov 11, 2017 at 01:49 PM
iBill
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Anyone ever sell prints at a street fair...

njfantastico wrote:
No mounting, keep it SUPER SIMPLE!

Either buy bags or get an industrial box of cling wrap from Sam's, Costco. etc. I would suggest a thin cardboard backer. Print, backer, wrap it up. Have them pre-wrapped before coming to the event. I chose bags as the cling wrap sticks to the next wrapped print. I have an impact sealer that i use to close them up/seal them with. Bags from Uline, impact sealer from Ebay.

Images - I have 60% of the images are from my area in general. Barns, fields, landscapes, river, architecture, etc. I may print 15 -
...Show more

I have done hundreds of shows over many years. My business model is very different from this. The only thing you say that I totally agree with is local subject matter sells. I have met many other photographers doing shows over the years, can't say any of them operate their business quite like this. If it is working for you that is great, but I would caution others to keep an open mind to other ways of approaching this business.

Nov 16, 2017 at 05:22 PM
njfantastico
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Anyone ever sell prints at a street fair...

IBill.....

It is easy to say that one person's way of doing something is not the same as You would do it, SO tell US how You do it?

My method is simple, very easy, has allowed me to sell out every time and i have made $5000+ pure profit doing so. I would enjoy hearing how others do the same type of event and the profit made on each event. Please share.

Nov 16, 2017 at 07:13 PM

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password