Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Anyone ever sell prints at a street fair...

Michaelparris
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Anyone ever sell prints at a street fair...

If so, got any advice.

Oct 30, 2017 at 03:40 AM
Mr.Gale
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Anyone ever sell prints at a street fair...

I've been do shows for more than 30 years but never as a full time job. If you have a large body of outstanding images professionally presented that you are willing to sell for a reasonable price you can do okay. Back in the days of film consumers didn't take a lot of pictures, because of the expense, so were more willing to buy photography at the art shows. Today there are consumers that will still buy but now days, everyone is a photographer so the prospective buyers have diminished, I've seen photos enlarged from an iPhone that aren't bad, not to my standard but not bad.
Do a small show and see what happens!

Mr.Gale

Oct 30, 2017 at 06:09 AM
Michaelparris
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Anyone ever sell prints at a street fair...

thank you...

Oct 30, 2017 at 04:38 PM
njfantastico
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Anyone ever sell prints at a street fair...

I have. I got a booth four times at two different events, two years in a row.

Made an order from my lab to get 8x10's, 11x14's and a few odd sizes.

My pitch - NO INKJET, Lab processed Fuji print, small run of images that were numbered and signed. Kept my prices low enough so that i would sell out.

Both events were 3 day weekend events. Sold out by late in the day on Sunday.

Booth fee around $400, had a lab bill of around $600, made about 5k pure profit.

I'd say it's worth it.

Nov 09, 2017 at 08:33 PM
jecottrell
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Anyone ever sell prints at a street fair...

njfantastico wrote:
I have.

Do you mind sharing...

Pricing on prints by size?

Types of images vs. popularity (travel? local interest?) ?

Mounting?

Thanks

Nov 10, 2017 at 02:19 PM
njfantastico
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Anyone ever sell prints at a street fair...

No mounting, keep it SUPER SIMPLE!

Either buy bags or get an industrial box of cling wrap from Sam's, Costco. etc. I would suggest a thin cardboard backer. Print, backer, wrap it up. Have them pre-wrapped before coming to the event. I chose bags as the cling wrap sticks to the next wrapped print. I have an impact sealer that i use to close them up/seal them with. Bags from Uline, impact sealer from Ebay.

Images - I have 60% of the images are from my area in general. Barns, fields, landscapes, river, architecture, etc. I may print 15 - 25 - 8x10's, 10 - 11x14's of the same item, number all the prints, keep the run very small and never repeat the series if it sells out. Sell from the top down, if you have a great run on a certain photo, know you need to return to the same location to get new ones. Keep your runs small, people like getting limited run prints.

Most people are interested in local photos, SO the last 35% should be stuff that is local to that area, again small runs.

Last 5% can be odd ball stuff.

I never do bigger prints than 16x20's. I always place those into a tube. Everything HAS TO BE easy to carry. You want them to pay and walk away with the prints, no shipping.

I use a local lab, NO INKJET! Don't skimp on your prints. Provide a great product at a great price. I pay 84 cents for a lab made 8x10 and $2 for an 11x14

8x10 luster print raw costs - $.84 for the print, cardboard, plastic bag, metallic sharpie for signing, etc. $.10 = $.94 I charge $5

11x14 - $2 for the print, cardboard, plastic bag, metallic sharpie for signing, etc. $.10 = $2.10 and I charge $10

16x20 - luster - $11 for the print, cardboard, plastic bag, metallic sharpie for signing, etc. $.10 =$11.10 and I charge $20

I keep it as simple as possible! My competition was charging $20 for an 8x10 inkjet print, printed on the spot, bagged and handed the print to the customer. The couple was using low end printers with second hand crap ink. They admitted that they walked away with $1000 on the same weekend. The following year, they returned, a few dozen of their customers returned to their booth and wanted their money back as the print had faded 90% and was horrible.

I offer a one year warranty on all prints. I have never had a single person ask for a reprint. The following year i had a bunch of repeat customers.

Credit card payments - I charge $1 more for CC payments on a single print, no CC fee for customers getting 2 or more prints.

I ONLY put out two 8x10's of each image at a time, restock as soon as i get a break OR when i can. Keeps the selection vast, keeps everyone happy.

What else can i answer?

Pricing on prints by size?

Types of images vs. popularity (travel? local interest?) ?

Mounting?

Nov 10, 2017 at 03:17 PM
jecottrell
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Anyone ever sell prints at a street fair...

njfantastico wrote:
What else can i answer?

Lots of great info. Thanks for taking the time to share.

Nov 11, 2017 at 01:49 PM
iBill
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Anyone ever sell prints at a street fair...

njfantastico wrote:

Either buy bags or get an industrial box of cling wrap from Sam's, Costco. etc. I would suggest a thin cardboard backer. Print, backer, wrap it up. Have them pre-wrapped before coming to the event. I chose bags as the cling wrap sticks to the next wrapped print. I have an impact sealer that i use to close them up/seal them with. Bags from Uline, impact sealer from Ebay.

Images - I have 60% of the images are from my area in general. Barns, fields, landscapes, river, architecture, etc. I may print 15 -
...Show more

I have done hundreds of shows over many years. My business model is very different from this. The only thing you say that I totally agree with is local subject matter sells. I have met many other photographers doing shows over the years, can't say any of them operate their business quite like this. If it is working for you that is great, but I would caution others to keep an open mind to other ways of approaching this business.

Nov 16, 2017 at 05:22 PM
njfantastico
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Anyone ever sell prints at a street fair...

IBill.....

It is easy to say that one person's way of doing something is not the same as You would do it, SO tell US how You do it?

My method is simple, very easy, has allowed me to sell out every time and i have made $5000+ pure profit doing so. I would enjoy hearing how others do the same type of event and the profit made on each event. Please share.

Nov 16, 2017 at 07:13 PM
Jason Ferber

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Anyone ever sell prints at a street fair...

iBill wrote:
I have done hundreds of shows over many years. My business model is very different from this. The only thing you say that I totally agree with is local subject matter sells. I have met many other photographers doing shows over the years, can't say any of them operate their business quite like this. If it is working for you that is great, but I would caution others to keep an open mind to other ways of approaching this business.

Care to share your method? It would be great to hear another approach / style of selling at these! I haven't got into them because they haven't seemed worth it to me, but would love to hear from people who are successful at this type sales.

njfantastico wrote:

8x10 luster print raw costs - $.84 for the print, cardboard, plastic bag, metallic sharpie for signing, etc. $.10 = $.94 I charge $5

11x14 - $2 for the print, cardboard, plastic bag, metallic sharpie for signing, etc. $.10 = $2.10 and I charge $10

16x20 - luster - $11 for the print, cardboard, plastic bag, metallic sharpie for signing, etc. $.10 =$11.10 and I charge $20

No offence meant nj, I find the prices a bit low from what I was expecting to see (especially by your profit listed). Perhaps that is iBill's objection? And while I do like the idea of keeping it simple, you don't have any objections from people having to figure their own framing out?

Nov 22, 2017 at 09:06 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

njfantastico
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Anyone ever sell prints at a street fair...

Jason,

I was hoping to get a reaction from Mr Bill, but got nothing. It erks me when someone tells me my way is SO different than their way and every other photographer they know, BUT will not explain their own way. Silly.

As for pricing, I sell a TON of prints and sell out. I do this because of two things - Great Work and a Great Price. I am extremely happy to sell out at a show and make $5k. VS selling at 2x or 3x more and selling a 1K of profit. I don't sell prints for a living, so i am not underselling myself.

Two shows a year to make 10K as a simple side business, sign me up for next year. If i could find two more events, i sure would do it.

I am a full time Wedding Photographer with more than enough to keep me busy the rest of the time.

Nov 22, 2017 at 09:21 PM
Jason Ferber

p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Anyone ever sell prints at a street fair...

njfantastico wrote:
As for pricing, I sell a TON of prints and sell out. I do this because of two things - Great Work and a Great Price. I am extremely happy to sell out at a show and make $5k. VS selling at 2x or 3x more and selling a 1K of profit. I don't sell prints for a living, so i am not underselling myself.

I have to ask, how large are the shows you do? I ran your numbers quick and you must be selling somewhere between 500-1000 prints at a show to bring in $5k profit (profit per print ranging from $5-$10 depending on size). The photographers I have spoken to at shows here don't sell anywhere CLOSE to that number, heck some shows I imagine don't have more than 1-2000 people going through.

Haha and I have to agree, people that do what iBill did are VERY frustrating - maybe he just doesn't log on very often and will get back to use eventually!

Nov 23, 2017 at 03:29 PM
glort
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Anyone ever sell prints at a street fair...

I was on holidays last week and went to a couple of markets in the area. Saw a couple of shooters selling work, one in both markets I visited.
I was looking at things with an eye to promoting my glam work at these types of markets in tourist destinations.

The work was all Australian and local scenery and very good work. There was everything from small prints in bags to framed metals. I commented to my wife they weren't making much money because the prices they were selling them for didn't leave much over printing and mounting costs alone.

Even though the prints were close to cost, the work was excellent and both markets were in places known for upmarket and elite clientele, All I saw was people go up and look at some of the attention grabbing shots and walk off. No one I saw in about 20 Min of total watching seemed really interested.

I wondered about this as both shooters seemed to be regulars and doing these markets all the time judging by how well they were set up.
While the mrs wandered off to buy more Chinese crap jewellery, I sat there drinking coconut juice and pondered what else one guy could do to increase his sales there.
I came up with zip.

He had great eye catching display prints that people spotted and came over to look at closer. Prices were way below what I would charge and I figured uncomfortably close to cost. There were good marketing materials and professional signage.
Guy looked like he was ready for business which is an unquantifiable thing I notice but apparent or not when you see it. He had signs up about costs to send the work interstate and over seas, plenty of prints..... Really couldn't fault him or the other guy I looked at less closely.

That -IT- factor has always amazed me. At the seaside market there was a guy selling his indigenous art. I can't paint a picket fence but I commented to my wife how " typical" this looked and that i could easy produce something similar myself.

The guys stand had food and crap on the end of the table, the guy looked like a complete bum and what really amazed me was when one of the other stall holders came over to the guy who was asleep on the grass opposite and facing away from his stand because people were standing there wanting to buy some work which seemed to be priced with no substantiation to me.

Happened to walk past him several times and he always had people there and I saw several sales. Presentation was crap, no signage, marketing, info and the guy smelt.
Clearly had not taken a shower in some time and looked it.

I don't believe looking bad can attract clients but it seems there is n -IT - factor that somehow draws people in.
Another one I saw what this hillbilly family selling coconuts.
They had a box trailer full of them and the 3 people were flat out with customers.
Raggety old tent, father and Son looked like they were straight out of Deliverance but the people standing round brought in more people including us.

They sold a cool coconut which the drilled and put a straw in for you to drink the milk then they split the nut and shredded the inside with an attachment on a cordless drill and added a Banana and Honey or a savoury hippy mix of beans, lentils, sprouts etc. which the lady made a big fuss was all home grown and organic.
You could have either one or both in each half of the split nut. Both were great.
Only $8 but the young guy was taking the outer husk of the coconuts with a scary looking spike on an old treeestump as fast as he could and there were some family snarls going on about him not going quick enough. He was doing one about every 15 sec.

I pondered the value of the coconut and the banana they were adding. With the price of local coconuts from fruit and veg sellers and babana's, I figured they must have had their own nut plantation to make the exercise viable. That being the case, I bet these people took home a good profit every time.

Saw some other food vendors doing nothing and others also with a line up.
The only thing I could see was the gimmick was a key factor.
One guy had some ancient looking machine which I over heard him telling another stall holder later he had made himself and was pulverising fruit with it to make a pulpy drink. $7 a small glass and again, going at a good clip.

I think a factor in success with these things based on what I saw and have seen before is having some sort of gimmick and stand out factor beyond the product one is selling.

Nov 25, 2017 at 04:36 AM
chez
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Anyone ever sell prints at a street fair...

Jason Ferber wrote:
I have to ask, how large are the shows you do? I ran your numbers quick and you must be selling somewhere between 500-1000 prints at a show to bring in $5k profit (profit per print ranging from $5-$10 depending on size). The photographers I have spoken to at shows here don't sell anywhere CLOSE to that number, heck some shows I imagine don't have more than 1-2000 people going through.

Haha and I have to agree, people that do what iBill did are VERY frustrating - maybe he just doesn't log on very often and will get back to
...Show more

Numbers donít line up. During a 3 day show to sell 1000 prints youíd be selling a print every 2 minutes for the entire show. That is impossible.

IBill, if heís the person off of LuLu, the I know he is a very accomplished photographer which makes his living selling large landscape images printed onto canvas at high end art shows. His prices are magnitudes more than what is stated here and is very successful with what he does.

Nov 26, 2017 at 09:04 AM
danski0224
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Anyone ever sell prints at a street fair...

Michaelparris wrote:
If so, got any advice.

I recently did a 3 hour event that was tied to an advertised art/artist show with wine and appetizers at a non-profit organization.

Very low entry fee of $50. It was supposedly a juried acceptance process.

I never did anything like this before, and it was certainly less than the ~$400 and up entry fee to the other local weekend art fairs.

Made lots of prints (too many), made the display. Could have easily spent lots more on mats and bags and stuff (those clear bags are surprisingly expensive for what they are...).

I was located in a prominent spot- foot traffic was guaranteed as I was near the entry for the grub.

Lots of lookers. Lots of compliments.

Only one sale. Nowhere near $5k, either.

The two women next to me sold nothing. I heard that others had similar results. Could have been just a bad venue.

I don't know if I'll do it again. I'd need to come up with at least another $2k in stuff to meet the requirements of the weekend shows (the tent and the other stuff mentioned above) plus the entry fee... and then the time.

I would have been better off putting the money into the market than doing the show... as entertaining as it may have been.

My advice would be to sit down and figure out what it will cost to get set up for one event, and then ask yourself what happens if that pile of money is simply set on fire with no return, not even figuring the time to do it. If you are OK with setting fire to the pile of money, then go for it.

Obviously, it works for some, but it probably doesn't work for most. The people collecting the fees for the booth slots are making out OK though .

Dec 04, 2017 at 01:42 AM
Markus L
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Anyone ever sell prints at a street fair...

chez wrote:
Numbers donít line up. During a 3 day show to sell 1000 prints youíd be selling a print every 2 minutes for the entire show. That is impossible.

IBill, if heís the person off of LuLu, the I know he is a very accomplished photographer which makes his living selling large landscape images printed onto canvas at high end art shows. His prices are magnitudes more than what is stated here and is very successful with what he does.

I came up with similar... assuming 25 8x10s 10 11x14's and 10 16x20's per print he'd need to sell 1350 prints to make $5k profit (not including booth fees actually). I guess it's possible to sell that many in that time frame, if you consider at $5 a print there may be people who buy 3-5 a time or more, but I would imagine that it has to be a very big show to get those kinds of sales.

I have limited experience but have done 4 shows this year with 2 more before the end of the year. 3 of the shows have been in my local town of 5000 people, so maybe 500 or so people come through each event (a holiday market, fall fair and Christmas fair), with entry fees in the $30 range. The 4th show was a 4 day craft sale in the closest large city to me, which probably had 10 000 people through the doors.

At the first 3 shows I've had matted 11x14's and 12x16's available as my small prints, then 18x24's and 20x24''s available as framed prints on display, along with panorama canvases and 3 panel canvases. Prices ranged from $60-$750. My last show I only had a small table so I had some 8x10's and greeting cards available as well for $20 and $8 respectively.

I've sold a bit at every show I've been at, but sales are difficult to come by. Mostly I've sold 12x16's, but I have sold 2 larger prints at the shows and a few after show sales as well. Every show I've sold at least 2 prints, and on my last one where I had 8x10's and greeting cards available I sold 6 total prints. Lots of compliments on my work, but that definitely does not make me rich!!

I think it has to be more of a long term game. People are starting to recognize me from shows around town, and as I talk with them (and try to remember them!) they seem more willing to buy. So my key advice is don't forget about what you do to actually market and sell your work, most of the time it won't sell itself.

Dec 05, 2017 at 12:14 AM
glort
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Anyone ever sell prints at a street fair...

Markus L wrote:
People are starting to recognise me from shows around town, and as I talk with them (and try to remember them!) they seem more willing to buy. So my key advice is don't forget about what you do to actually market and sell your work, most of the time it won't sell itself.

I found this when I did event work.
I used to stand around after the shooting was over and talk to people at the trailer or just standing round it. Weather is a great conversation starter because everyone knows about it, has a story and it's not intimidating or pressuring them to buy something. It's simply building rapport and being friendly.

The wife and kids used to give me a hard time about Chatting up all the Mums ( even though I spoke to plenty of Dads) until I started pointing out the ones I spoke to were the ones that bought. They hung around and looked longer and spent better. Even if it wasn't this time, next time you saw them you could bet they would be there looking and when they bought, they bought well. They would often come up and strike up the conversation the ice being now broken before.

Customer relations, PR, rapport building... whatever you want to call it, is a BIG thing.
Where you can establish it, it's an assett even if you have never seen the people before.

I picked this up when I was doing a lot of bridal fairs and trade shows. ALWAYS had a Plastic Fish bowl of wrapped sweets on the counter. People would come in for a sweet which was an ice breaker and you had 10-15 sec to engage them. If they asked a question, that was great, make them laugh, you are half way there. Don't talk to them about pictures. Ask them where they got that great looking ice cream or milkshake, Comment when you hear them that your feet are sore too.... just engage them as another human being on their level. .

Not going to make everyone come over and buy but some who may well have passed you by definitely will.

I went to the local farmers market on the weekend and was again observing there. Very noticeable was the " Look like we are ready for business" and the ones that looked bored and unapproachable. It's an extremely difficult thing to define the ones in the middle.Some seem welcoming but don't seem to get any takers. Like the guy selling strawberrys. Good signage, stacks of great looking strawberry punnets on his presentable table, sliced up samples to try and a happy looking guy. And who the fk don't like strawberrys??
We always get some and they are freaking delicious but he does not seem to be busy.
Some of the busy ones have no outstanding reason to be and others look inviting but no one seems to go near.
Then there are the ones that look off putting.

There is a stall at this market in the same place every week where they sell eggs.
An unsociable looking couple, poorly dressed and even poorer groomed. I'm rough as guts but when i go to sell someone something I drag a razor and flannel across my dial, put on some clothes without holes or last nights Dinner samples all down the front and give the old BO basher a good squirt under both arms.
I think these people would sell more ( some?) eggs if they did the same and didn't look like they just came from shovelling chook shit in the shed.

Probably also help if they didn't sit there laying back in their seats, like they are in the middle of a movie with that half way through a case of beer expression, engaged deep in conversation and looking at everyone passing by with a stare and giving the impression they are passing comment on you.

That's something real easy to define as to why I never see anyone come near them let alone see them sell any eggs. I wonder how few they sell to keep coming back every week?

On the other side of the market there are 2 Gents also selling eggs and always seem busy.
They look clean cut, in their 70's at least and are dressed very smart casual, even if I suspect their attire was purchased sometime in the 1980's. They always wear shorts with their Socks pulled up high and look clean, fresh and neat. When they don't have someone there, I see them waving to the kiddies, saying hello or making friendly comments to people going by and always seem to just enjoy being there. Sometimes I see them sitting at their stall but they sit forward, watching and looking like they are ready to jump up and be of service.

They seem to sell a good amount of eggs as I watch them while I wait for my coffee and scones which the Mrs and I always have there under the big tree.
Funny thing just occurred to me though. We don't buy our eggs there, Mrs buys them at the supermarket. I'll have to ask her why? I rather buy off these two blokes than a supermarket because I'll bet they would make it fun and give you a laugh.

As far as some shows/ markets being Duds, I have to agree. Another indefinable. I don't know what it is but seems to be the feel or mood of a place. Don't know why some are good and some not but there is either a buying atmosphere or there the feeling of just being there to look rather than buy.

That was something I became aware of with some trade shows I did. If you looked closely at their promo, some pitched it as come and see what you can find and others pitched it as " Come and have a pissup with the girls/ boys". The different mentality of the promotion has a big effect on your returns on the show.

I noticed the weather influence when I did swim school pics.
They were all shot the week before but if the week we were selling was cloudy or wet, sales would be down. Attendances at the classes would be well down too! Bright sunny, HOT day, hold on to your EFPOS machine and have spare receipt rolls at the ready. Crap weather was crap for business and we were always indoor not in the weather whatever it was.

The BIG problem with doing any of these things is it's expensive. You never know what's going to happen till you go there. It often takes time and multiple outings till you get the feel for things as well. I have a formula for bridal fairs/ trade shows I came up with ( eventually) over 20 years ago. I have passed it onto people here and it still works. There are things you can do to hedge your bets and give you good returns most times out but they take practice and you also have to keep your ear to the ground and be asking questions as well as listening to your clients so you can fine tune what you are doing.

If you can find what they want, and they are sheeple no matter how different they think they are, then all you have to do is give them that and you are going to be successful 9 times out of 10 at least.

Dec 05, 2017 at 12:54 PM
njfantastico
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Anyone ever sell prints at a street fair...

I know my price point sells. The next show you both do, try my price point. Keep it simple as well.

At the price point, people can't help themselves to buy, buy, and buy more. Most people realize that they cannot print a single print at the cost that i sell my prints for.

I am after two things, HAPPY people and Having FUN, Do those two things and you will make $$.

Dec 05, 2017 at 06:41 PM
chez
• • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Anyone ever sell prints at a street fair...

njfantastico wrote:
I know my price point sells. The next show you both do, try my price point. Keep it simple as well.

At the price point, people can't help themselves to buy, buy, and buy more. Most people realize that they cannot print a single print at the cost that i sell my prints for.

I am after two things, HAPPY people and Having FUN, Do those two things and you will make $$.

I just cannot see you selling over 1000 prints during a weekend. Maybe your numbers you quoted are wrong.

Iíve been to many shows and never seen anyone selling into the 1,000ís.

Dec 05, 2017 at 07:08 PM
njfantastico
• •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Anyone ever sell prints at a street fair...

chez wrote:
I just cannot see you selling over 1000 prints during a weekend. Maybe your numbers you quoted are wrong.

Iíve been to many shows and never seen anyone selling into the 1,000ís.

The best part, i have now done it 4 times. I am telling You, it really works.

Dec 05, 2017 at 08:29 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password